Aldi 'auto Xs' Battery Charger

I have had one of the above for about 18 months now . .

It is fine on my 30AH lawnmower battery but on a 100AH or more car or leisure battery it does't seem to know when to stop . . I have witnessed, in the past, over 17v at the battery!

Thought I would try it again this morning on the caravan battery . .

It was already fully charged, still with my Halfords auto charger connected and sitting at 13. 7v . .

As soon as I took the Halfords off I connected the Aldi, set it to 'car' and the voltage immediately took off . . in a few seconds it was over 15v and showing no sign of slowing its rise, so I rapidly disconnected it. .

On the mower battery it goes to 14. 2 and drops immediately to 13. 7v

All voltages checked with a pretty good digital meter.

Anyone else experienced similar with the Aldi, or any other, for that matter, charger?

Edited by Disco Kid

What is the upper limit of the charger? They do have a maximum AH rating they can handle, maybe that's the issue?

I thought though, from memory, it was 110AH but could well be wrong.

I wonder if it is it a charger or battery health issue?

I wonder if it is it a charger or battery health issue?

It has done the same on an almost new battery.

But the halfords has no problem with the battery.

Ours works ok. I think our battery is 110 AH.

I must have a duff unit then, , I suppose.

It has done the same on an almost new battery.

But the halfords has no problem with the battery.

I must have a duff unit then, , I suppose.

Have you still got the instructions. If not I can dig ours out

Still got them, thanks.

I'l try it out on a known dodgy battery . .

Bought one last week for the car, because its used mainly for towing so this time of year doesn't get as much use as at other times.

Says it is for up to 120Ah batteries, and worked well on the car battery which is 90Ah.

Went up to about 13. 7 volts, showed fully charged and dropped down to 12. 9 volt trickle charge.

Sounds like you have a dud one, so take it back under the 3 year warranty!

Edited by hp100425ev

As already said, it sounds like a dud one. This is one reason I prefer the Aldi version to the Liddle version: there is a buit-in votage meter.

Sounds like you have a dud one, so take it back under the 3 year warranty!

Ah . . the receipt goblin's been (again)

No modern charger, irrespective of maximum capacity, should allow a voltage above the gassing threshold. The only exception to this is if the charger provides support for an Equalisation Charge but this should only happen after a full charge cycle. ...certainly not when the battery is first connected.

Does it have a 12/24v switch?

I assume not, and think this charger needs to be repaired/replaced.

I have had this problem with stage battery chargers before not the charger at fault but either the battery or installation. Pulse battery chargers are far better.

So I will explain the stages.

1) Chargers at maximum output of charger while battery is below 14. 8 volt.

2) Maintains voltage to 14. 8 volt until the charge current drops below set amount.

3) Latches and reduces charge voltage to 13. 2 volts.

The charger has to be matched to the battery the one we had was 35A and designed for up to 400 Ah the point where it dropped to 13. 2 volts was when the charge current dropped to 5A. There was also a timer which would drop charge voltage after 8 hours if the 5A was not reached.

Fitted to a narrow boat the problem arouse if the lights were being used the current would not drop below the 5A. Also if the battery was getting old with internal leakage the current would not drop below 5A. So it was quite common to find it stuck at 14. 8 volt for 8 hours after plugging in to shore supply.

Nothing wrong with charger it's doing what it's designed to do. Either the battery too big for charger or battery is faulty. With the boat one there was a dip switch to change it from three stage charging to float.

There is a completely different way to monitor charge, often used with solar panels the charger sends pulse of charge to battery and measures voltage between the pulses to decide battery state of charge. I think the C-Tek charge works that way which is why a 5A charger can charge a battery between 6 Ah and 120 Ah for stage chargers normally a much smaller range one we had was 100 ~ 400 Ah.

I thought the lidi charger was pulse regulations I have never looked at the Aldi model. From what you are saying the Aldi model is a stage charger not pulse?

As a PS the charger we had would drop back into stage 1 charging mode if battery voltage dropped below 11. 5 volt. So when using the 3kW inverter the battery would then be charged at full 35 amp.

I think this is why you should not use a motor mover with the mains supply on as it will fool the charger into thinking battery is flat.