Water Pump On New Lunar Caravan

mobberleymike

I have echanged my Dawn Star to a new Lunar van, this van has a pressure switch on the hot and cold water system rather than micro switches on each tap like on my old van. The problem with this system is if you run out of water the pump continues to run trying to build up pressure in the system. If you have not relized that you have run out of water the pump will carry on running until it burns itself out.

Welcome.

But you will hear the pump, turn it off and re-fill the Aquaroll.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have echanged my Dawn Star to a new Lunar van, this van has a pressure switch on the hot and cold water system rather than micro switches on each tap like on my old van. The problem with this system is if you run out of water the pump continues to run trying to build up pressure in the system. If you have not relized that you have run out of water the pump will carry on running until it burns itself out.

It runs only for a limited time and then switches itself off to prevent burning itself out.

It's much better than old microswitched systems.

It runs only for a limited time and then switches itself off to prevent burning itself out.

It's much better than old microswitched systems.

Until you get a leak and are out for the day :)

My aftermarket electronic pressure switch will only run for a maximum of 15 minutes - but if it bothers you just switch the pump off by the door when you go out.

My aftermarket electronic pressure switch will only run for a maximum of 15 minutes - but if it bothers you just switch the pump off by the door when you go out.

We had a leak due to a crack in the pressure relief valve from hot water tank. The pump did not run continuously, just occasionally as water seeped very, very, slowly. Fortunately it dripped in between a hot and cold pipe run clipped to the floor, followed the space between them across the front of the van and exited through a gas drop hole.

JCloughie and I have fitted warning lights to the pump circuit so you can see if the pump is running, as you may not always hear it! If you are interested have a look at old posts under Lunar caravans.

We had a leak due to a crack in the pressure relief valve from hot water tank. The pump did not run continuously, just occasionally as water seeped very, very, slowly. Fortunately it dripped in between a hot and cold pipe run clipped to the floor, followed the space between them across the front of the van and exited through a gas drop hole.

Incidentally I suspect that such a leak is a common failure as in the small dealership I called in whilst away they had a dozen pressure release valves in their small stock room,

Yes I know beat to turn off waterwhen going out for the day. But with my memory and being laid back on holiday? ;)

Lucky for us we were in the caravan when it happened and the caravan was hooked up to mains water so caravan would have been flooded out! There is no way to pick up this type of leak as it is a pin hole so the pump will run very occasionally. With mains water into the caravan, no pump so the caravan is flooded. We now turn off the mains water when hooked up.

I found that out on Wednesday after being out for the day. Pipe had come out of the kitchen tap a wee bit and flooded the cupboard and half the carpet. New to this van and forgot to switch off the pump as I usually do. Getting new tap under warranty and they will dry out the carpet. Kinda spoiled the trip.