Flooring

Went away last week had a good time apart from one of the taps leaking which I managed to fix but had to get the carpet up cos it got so wet. So after a bit of a thought I am thinking of putting vinyl flooring down but not sure what is best ie roll packs or strips? Plus I am not confident of laying it so at a guess any ideas of how much it would cost a fitter? What I need is 4m long by 1 1/2 m wide.

are the carpets not loose fitting with vinyl underneath?

Just a thought, when vinyl is fitted at the production stage it is I believe one piece, as you are retro

fitting, presumably in just the main area, you will have an edge all round where it butts to furniture,

heater fridge etc If you had a further leak, liquid could possibly seep underneath if not 100% sealed at

the edges

No criticism intended, just my thoughts.

Got let down by the fitter anyone know any good fitters close to oxfordshire?

As a guide for prices, I paid £180 last year to have my caravan carpet replaced with vinyl. That included supplying the vinyl, cutting the carpet all round the furniture (the original carpet was fitted under the furniture) and fitting the new flooring.

It was done by an independent carpet fitter, but booked though my local caravan shop and done on their premises while it was in for service.

The price would have been £150, but the pattern I chose was a wood strip, and I wanted the strips to run the length of the caravan. Because of this the fitter had to buy a much bigger piece of vinyl (almost a square), rather than just a small strip.

I looks lovely. When I was next back in the caravan shop they said because of how good it looked, they'd done the same on a caravan they were selling. But they'd saved money by having the wood strips going the other way, and said it was a mistake and didn't look nearly as good!

Flooring 1

Flooring 2

Flooring close-up

Looks really nice similar to the vinyl I got. Someone coming round tomorrow to give me a price.

Good call that, makes the caravan look longer and very smart. I would have thought their own intelligence?

would have told them that across in a narrow space would look ****

Just a thought, when vinyl is fitted at the production stage it is I believe one piece, as you are retro

fitting, presumably in just the main area, you will have an edge all round where it butts to furniture,

heater fridge etc If you had a further leak, liquid could possibly seep underneath if not 100% sealed at

the edges

No criticism intended, just my thoughts.

I think this a very valid point. Liquid that does get under the vinyl has nowhere to go other than down by rotting the floor

I think this a very valid point. Liquid that does get under the vinyl has nowhere to go other than down by rotting the floor

Personally I would not worry too much about that, you will find even the vinyl fitted in the production stage has staples, screw holes and where wires and pipes go through floor all of which will allow any water access to the floor. So not 100% waterproof.

Unless the floor is kept wet such as by a perpetual drip, the water will evaporate after a short period of time, just like when you wash the floor.

It will take longer to dry if underneath something, but will still slowly evaporate. Even if it takes a few days, it would need longer than that to actually cause any rotting.

If you have a drip, fix it.