Subaru Outback 2.0 Dse

stevew1

Picked up the new car on Monday 2nd Nov & highly satisfied with it. The car has been fitted with a towbar & electrics, spare wheel & jack + the electric air pump & sealant kit. The car was driven back the 80 odd miles home & was very impressive . I have owned a previous model diesel Outback for 7 years & been very happy with it but the new one is far superior. On paper the engine is the same as my old one but in reality is a lot more user friendly, the spread of power is over a lot wider rev range & it certainly shows in driving, the in gear pickup is very flexible & even though the car had only 12 miles on the clock it was very flexible & cruised in near silence at 60 in 6th gear.

The built in Sat Nav / entertainment system was spot on, on the A38 near Ripley the fuel warning light came on & the Sat Nav immediately gave me a list of service stations to choose from, I picked the nearest by touching the screen & it took me off at the next junction & straight to the garage where I filled up the tank at £1. 06 a litre, very impressive after having used a Snooper for the last 3 years.

I spent Yesterday connecting it up to the van to try out the towbar & test the electrics through the new 13 pin socket, everything was perfect including a beeping telltale for the caravan indicators. The only slight problem was the tow hitch which was painted a very shiny black, I spent half an hour today with my drill & a wire brush & emery cloth getting a lovely metal surface. The only other job today was removing the old number plate from the caravan & fitting the new one, the new plates don't have the EU logo on them so I've ordered a set of two from Amazon to stick on the plates, two yellow, two white. The remainder of the day was spent trying to get to grips with all the new gadgets & controls that seem to be standard on today's cars.

I'll put a few pictures on here when I get time & the weather improves.

Edited by stevew1

I think it took Subaru a while to get the hang of diesels - I specifically wanted a Gen 4 (wanted a manual and a petrol) and the diesel wasn't an option. Good to hear they are sorting it.

A real shame the petrol is CVT only though.

BMW M135i - definitely not a tow carSubaru Outback 2. 5SE manual - a potential tow car, 2016 VW California 204 4motion could be a tow van

Pick up my 2014 Outback on Tuesday, really looking forward to it. We have been towing our Lunar Quaser 1350 mw with our Honda CRV petrol for a year now and it has, to be quite honest really struggled especialy on any slight hill. Made the decision that it had to be changed, we test drove the Honda CRV 2. 2 diesel and then the Outback diesel, the extra power in the Subaru was very noticeable and we decided there and then it was the far better option. I know this was only solo and not towing but I'm sure it was the right choice. I was probably slightly biased because before the Honda we had owned 4 Subarus and they were brilliant cars, they were all brought new and not a single one ever had to go back to the dealer for warranty work, we chose the Honda because it was right at the time but we were not towing then. The van has now been put away for winter so won't be able to comment on how it tows until spring but I'm sure it will be fine compared to what we had. Re Steve's comment on the spare wheel they have supplied him with, is it the space saver or full size spare and do they fit in the well ?

Pick up my 2014 Outback on Tuesday, really looking forward to it. We have been towing our Lunar Quaser 1350 mw with our Honda CRV petrol for a year now and it has, to be quite honest really struggled especialy on any slight hill. Made the decision that it had to be changed, we test drove the Honda CRV 2. 2 diesel and then the Outback diesel, the extra power in the Subaru was very noticeable and we decided there and then it was the far better option. I know this was only solo and not towing but I'm sure it was the right choice. I was probably slightly biased because before the Honda we had owned 4 Subarus and they were brilliant cars, they were all brought new and not a single one ever had to go back to the dealer for warranty work, we chose the Honda because it was right at the time but we were not towing then. The van has now been put away for winter so won't be able to comment on how it tows until spring but I'm sure it will be fine compared to what we had. Re Steve's comment on the spare wheel they have supplied him with, is it the space saver or full size spare and do they fit in the well ?

Hi there, it is the full size spare wheel from my trade in Outback which has never been used, they agreed to obtain a skinny spare to fit in my old car, the only difference is the wheel style but as long as it gets me going again I don't care about that. The wheel well in my new car had a foam tray in it which had the tool kit, jack ?? For no spare & an electric pump & sealant kit, I kept my old, superior tool kit & Jack which fits in the centre of my spare & also snaffled the electric pump & sealant kit as a bit of belt & braces.

The wheel well is designed for a spare wheel & even has the threaded base for the screw in bar to hold the wheel securely, in Australian & US markets the spare comes as standard, the lack of a spare is only a sop to the low weight & co2 brigade.

If your car has no spare try to negotiate one or get one from a scrap yard, the price for a Subaru spare part will make your eyes water, well north of £500, if I couldn't have come to a deal I was going to go to my local tyre dealer who do a set of boy racer alloys that & get them to source one, as I said earlier, it doesn't have to match as long as it fits & is compatible.

Thanks for the info Steve, I don't think I will be able to negotiate a deal as I've already got a very good one and I'm sure he won't budge anymore. Now I no the full size spare will fit I can shop around the breakers or perhaps find one on ebay.

Once again thanks for the info and enjoy driving the Outback.

Peter

Just been getting the new car ready for tomorrow, we are towing the van for the ist time & it's amazing how much stuff you leave in the car for the caravan & forget about, I have had to root around the garage to find everything, bet I've forgotten something !!.

We are driving down to Henley on Thames CC site, about 180 miles, so that should sort it out, car has less mileage on it than I would like, about 460, so I'll have to take it steady.

Our son has booked us into Tom Kerridges pub in Marlow on Monday so we are looking forward to that immensely.