Caravan Tyres

Basil Brush

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL AMOUNT OF TIME THAT A CARAVAN TYRE LASTS,I KNOW THEY ARE DATE STAMPED BUT NOT SURE WHEN THEY SHOULD BE CHANGED, MANY THANKS BARRY

There is no magic moment at which they fail. There is however evidence that they degrade over time and exposure to sunlight (UV) and leaving standing under load are aggravating factors. Different authorities quote different safe limits, but 5 years is probably as good a yardstick as you are going to get. Many people get longer but how lucky do you feel?

I changed ours at 6 years old from the date stamped on the tyres on our previous caravan. They looked ok but there was some evidence of cracking and I considered the damage that could be done to the caravan if we had a blow out. ......and thats at best with life and limb of me/family/others at worst so felt (@ £50each if i remember correctly) a worthwhile investment.

I did it just before the 7th season so caravan stood on the old tyres for its 6th winter and had fresh tyres for the 7th season.

Not wanting to teach grandmother etc etc but do ensure replacements are same spec as reccommended for the caravan (and not necessarily what are on the caravan now as a previous owner could have fitted a different spec tyre last time???)

Hi Basil Brush welcome to CT

Just a polite note that the use of capitals on the forum is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite.

Kind regards Andrew

Hi Basil Brush welcome to CT

Just a polite note that the use of capitals on the forum is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite.

Kind regards Andrew

Yes,thanks Andrew,pressed wrong key on computer, regards Barry

As above, there are no set rules as to when caravan tyres should be changed but as a general rule of thumb 5 years is the norm.

Normally the tread is ok as they are not normally driven wheel but cracks often appear as the rubber degrades, as caravan tyres normally run at higher pressures (mainly single axles) it's a could idea to change them if they are cracked.

I've just replaced all fours tyres on my twin axle, cost me £150, works out at £30 a year, quite cheap for piece of mind.

Rog.

Actually the guide in the past has always been 7 years - my dealer warns that if the tyres are over 7 years old at a service they will not issue the service sticker unless they change the tyres.

Look carefully at the edge of the tyre - not in the grooves - for any signs of cracking that could lead to delamination and the tread coming away from the carcass. If the tyre has got that far it is beyond hope.

I suspect the 5-year suggestion has probably been made to generate more trade for dealers in these hard times, especially as most people will ask the dealer to change the tyres anyway and end up paying through the nose for a cheap product. I know a dealer that quoted well over £100 per tyre for mid-range 6-ply Chinese products when you can get Goodyear-Dunlop reinforced 8-ply van tyres for well under a ton fitted.

Five years is a good guide but you should check the tyres regularly, some have changed them at three years because of cracking, other haven't had cracks at seven years, however at seven years its time they were changed cracks or no cracks.

Some people will have other ideas :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

There is a sticky about this at the top of this forum, which is very informative