Vauxhall Insignia Estate

teecee

Hi all

we are thinking of changing our car ( BMW 320d TOURING ) and we have been looking at the VAUXHALL insignia estate which seems like a lot of car for the money and even the wife likes it !!

Has anyone got or had one of these? as the only thing I am not sure of is why are they so cheap to buy ?

We tow a BAILEY CALIFORNIA and as the car is 1805 kg and the van is 1459 kg I have worked that out to 81% so that would seem to be ok

thanks in advance for your help

teecee

Make sure it comes with a spare wheel.

My brother hired one of these and had serious delays on way to catch plane, as spare tyre difficult to obtain same day.

Nice to drive though.

We tow a BAILEY CALIFORNIA and as the car is 1805 kg and the van is 1459 kg I have worked that out to 81% so that would seem to be ok

teecee

Kerbweight is stated to be 1658kg for most 2. 0 litre estates shown here

http://carleasingmadesimple. com/business-car-leasing/vauxhall/insignia/kerb-weight/

Brian

Hi all

we are thinking of changing our car ( BMW 320d TOURING ) and we have been looking at the VAUXHALL insignia estate which seems like a lot of car for the money and even the wife likes it !!

Has anyone got or had one of these? as the only thing I am not sure of is why are they so cheap to buy ?

teecee

Hi teecee. Which year,model,engine/gearbox and spec option are you looking at ?

At 1805kgs that is pretty heavy for a Vauxhall Insignia Touring - it must be a fairly high spec' car and a recent registration.

I looked at them some years ago and not long after they were introduced BUT decided to stay with Volvo V70's having had a V70 T5 CD Auto and a 2. 4T SE Geartronic and now two D5 SE Geartronics.

The heavier kerb-weight and 1800kgs maximum braked towing limit were the deciding factors. Indeed the later ones have a 2000kgs limit.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I'm sure the kerbweights are in the owners manual - will go and have a look and see what ours says.

Hi teecee. Which year,model,engine/gearbox and spec option are you looking at ?

At 1805kgs that is pretty heavy for a Vauxhall Insignia Touring - it must be a fairly high spec' car and a recent registration.

I looked at them some years ago and not long after they were introduced BUT decided to stay with Volvo V70's having had a V70 T5 CD Auto and a 2. 4T SE Geartronic and now two D5 SE Geartronics.

The heavier kerb-weight and 1800kgs maximum braked towing limit were the deciding factors. Indeed the later ones have a 2000kgs limit.

GM/Vauxhall use the same autobox as Volvo, an Aisin unit - although their electronics are programmed differently and they use different names.

Our friends have one and it tows OK i believe and boot size is reasonable. Not bad looking car and as you say its a reasonable amount of car for the money.

Vauxhalls have always been heavily discounted and hence residuals are poor mainly due to large fleet purchases.

There are better cars out there to drive IMO but hard to argue against amount of car for your £.

they also have a decent noseweight allowance I believe

Our friends tow around 1500kg laden weight with it

Have had a look in the owners manual (dated 08/2013) for the latest "facelift" Insignia and the most you'll see for the Sports Tourer without any "options" will be 1733kg for the normal front wheel drive or 1843kg for the AWD version. Both of these models are with the 2. 0lt diesel lump. The lightest 2. 0lt ST with a diesel engine is 1701kg.

FWIW, the 5-door hatch weighs approx. 100kg across the range apart from the petrol 4wd VXR sports tourer which comes in a healthy 2098kg with an auto box. IIRC, VX have since introduced smaller diesel engines and therefore the kerb weight will drop accordingly.

VX then go on to give weights with "all optional equipment". Weights then go up to c. 1900kg for the 2wd version and 2073kg for the auto AWD. Years ago when the Vectra-C was around, the owners manual used to give weights for some of the more common "weighty" options such as tow bar, sun roof etc. . But in those days, there wasn't much on the options list, not like today lol. As to what "all options" means is anyone's guess.

Today, a steel spare wheel and towbar could easily add say 40kg to the manufacturers kerb weight as these are classed by VX as "approved accessories".

Edited by Pebble

One to avoid, if they still do it, is the 1. 6 petrol.

I had one as a hire car and solo, it could not keep up with M42 motorway traffic without dropping a gear. It had plenty of toys, but because it was woefully underpowered, I had a lot of time to play with them to while away the boredom of the journey.

In fact, it reminded me of an old Ford Cortina 1300 where you needed a calendar to measure 0-60.

Vauxhall Insignia = Scrap

I'm in regular contact with a lot of mechanics/technicians and they all say the same thing. ....avoid like the plague!

Vauxhall Insignia = Scrap

I'm in regular contact with a lot of mechanics/technicians and they all say the same thing. ....avoid like the plague!

Why? :unsure:

What a load of tosh . On my second Insignia, I had the first 6 years and have just got a new one. A superb tow car and very reliable.

Why? :unsure:

Mainly. .....reliability and build quality

These guys work with cars day in/day out, so I put a bit of stock in what they say

Insignia wouldn't be in the same league as Mondeo, Superb, or Passat IMO

Mainly. .....reliability and build quality

These guys work with cars day in/day out, so I put a bit of stock in what they say

Insignia wouldn't be in the same league as Mondeo, Superb, or Passat IMO

If there were a significant difference, the trade would ensure there was a huge difference in secondhand values - AFAIK there isn't.

An excellent test of the trade's relativel opinion between cars is to compared their trade-in values at 3 years / 36,000 miles - not as a residual % of list price but in absolute £s value.

My brother had one as a private hire vehicle and had to have a gearbox at 120000 miles then the engine replaced at 145000 he has now sold the car b4 anything else goes wrong.

Also he keeps his cars very very well looked after and it was always in the garage for one thing or another.

CHEERS DAZKIM

If there were a significant difference, the trade would ensure there was a huge difference in secondhand values - AFAIK there isn't.

An excellent test of the trade's relativel opinion between cars is to compared their trade-in values at 3 years / 36,000 miles - not as a residual % of list price but in absolute £s value.

Look again

Insignias are worth pittance compared to other cars in the same bracket

Even the OP is asking why are they so cheap to buy :rolleyes:

Look again

Insignias are worth pittance compared to other cars in the same bracket

Even the OP is asking why are they so cheap to buy :rolleyes:

Already covered earlier - they are heavily discounted from new due to fleet and hire company purchases so are considerably cheaper than their (joke) RRP

Ford and Vauxhall feature more than one model in the top 10 new cars sold in UK most years so are quite simply by far the biggest manufacturers in the UK usually due to fleet purchasing and discounts offered

The residual comparison really should be at a 3 years compared to average new selling price

Anyway pointless as those who want one will buy one and those who have pre conceived ideas won't. Either way you get a lot of car for not a lot of money buying them second hand fully loaded

Edited by sunshinetours

Good news for those buying used or nearly new then. We picked up our facelift 63 plate 140 Ecoflex SRi hatch for £13k back in October 2014, so just under 12 months old. Win win for us and it's been faultless some 12k miles later.