Steam Marine Engines

I have always been fascinated by steam engines and have made one or two

but Mamod had a marine steam engine and after buying a 3rd hand unit

I incorporated it into a boat made from soldered oil cans (money was very tight!)

As Christmas is coming I looked up Mamod Marine Engines and wow they have

a couple of beauts! http://www. mamod. co. uk/mamod-news/products-and-reviews/introducing-the-marine-engine

Looking into it further there are some sesational steam engines about;

http://www. forest-classics. co. uk/pm_research_8m. htm#8MB much more

interesting than a cheap drone :D

Excellent stuff, especially that marine V, wow! things have come a long way since the stationary Mamod I had as a kid, bought with pocket money from the church jumble sale

Excellent stuff, especially that marine V, wow! things have come a long way since the stationary Mamod I had as a kid, bought with pocket money from the church jumble sale

+1

Remembering the original Mamods and our experimentations with bits its a wonder we didn't blow something up.

HERE is one for the mantelpiece though.

If only I had a workshop with all the tooling 20 years ago.

Ah well.

WOW. I just found THIS

Edited by BOAC

Remembering the original Mamods and our experimentations with bits its a wonder we didn't blow something up.

Ah well.

WOW. I just found THIS

Great link, would have looked good on the water. ..

My father would have loved the kettle, given that he was an avid tea drinker, smaller cup than usual though with this one ;)

Edited by Silverback

Great link, would have looked good on the water. ..

My father would have loved the kettle, given that he was an avid tea drinker, smaller cup than usual though with this one ;)

It even has rowlocks!

Ah well.

WOW. I just found THIS

That is very nice indeed, slightly off subject I recall a working miniature

500 Manx Norton Engine

The steam launch is beautiful.

Must admit I remember many happy hours with a Mamod as a youngster.

I always liked the vehicle models but couldn't afford one so I built a stationary Mamod into a Meccano chassis and hey presto I hade my vehicle. At a later stage I rebuilt this and added radio control; this was back in the mid 60's.

Anyone remember the 'other' steam models by Wilesco, they were really 'posh' becasue they all had slide vale mechanisms!

Some of friends toys . Steam launches. http://www. luscombevalleysteam. com/marine-steam-luscombe. html

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Saw a nice steam boat at the brother-in-laws :)

I didn't get a good picture as I was far too busy catching mackerel before the seals took em off the line :angry:

random pictures of Scotland

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Happy memories of the Waverley.

The engine room is REALLY impressive while churning along at six knots. I was in the engine room from Oban to abeam Mull. Lovely.

There quite a good video of her

HERE

Edited by BOAC

http://www. lydiaeva. org. uk/N%20lydia%20eva%20history. html

I had the pleasure of working on this in Holmans, Penzance during the summer of 1972 I think. I remember shovelling coal into the Scotch boiler, and the steering gear If memory serves was simply a wheel and some pulleys dragging two large chains around. Helmsman on that would have developed some muscle.

Slightly larger but in the same vein;

My brother Pete despite cancer is trying to ride as many of these as possible :D

I hope Petes cancer gets beaten. I wish him well.

Thanks for the video. Nice one.

Saw a nice steam boat at the brother-in-laws :)

I didn't get a good picture as I was far too busy catching mackerel before the seals took em off the line :angry:

Was on the Waverley in a cross sea -- boy can she roll !

Was on the Waverley in a cross sea -- boy can she roll !

My wife and I went on the Waverley from Weymouth. It broke a paddle and we were drifting for about 5 hours till they repaired it. When we eventually got back, as I stepped off the gangplank I dopped to my knees and kissed the ground in a moment of grateful joy. As I stood up all the passangers remaining on ship and on the key side having observed my relief, broke out in laughter and applause. :)

Just watching "Great Canal Journeys" on Channel 4 with Timothy West and Prunella Scales and noticed on his cap an embroidered picture and text of the Waverley. Think he has something to do with it if I remember.

Edited by Upyonder

Hi,

Regarding steering -- i was "let loose" with the S. S. Sir walter Scott She was easy to steer --- once you got used to the slack in the steering gear ! ( use to electric hydrolic stuff ! ) The engine room --- Ah the smell of hot metal, oil & paint ! still go on the mersey ferry from time to time for a good " sniff " :)

Hi,

Just for you -- been sitting in the roof of my workshop for more than ( i think ) 40 years, complete with all the "bits" instructions etc. This was bought but subsequently not used so other than bench testing . ..............

post-40443-0-36985900-1447166209_thumb.jpg

post-40443-0-36415800-1447166232_thumb.jpg