Damp Wood At Front, How Big Of An Issue? (Please Help)

Ash3000k

Hi all,

I'm new here, and just about to purchase my first caravan, but due to limited funds I will be buying an old girl, (only have 650 max to spend),

So I'm off to see one tonight with the mrs, but there is a bit of damp at the front under the window,

The thing is the rest of the caravan looks amazing (for the price), so I'm really tempted to get it, as our first caravan, and just get the front bit fixed later down the line. ..

How much does this type of repair normally cost?

I really don't know what to do for best, I have a 2year old little girl also, is there any health concerns with a little bit of damp or is it just when its really bad?

Any help / advise / wisdom would be much appreciated!

Hi Ash,

You could be in line for a nightmare of a job unfortunately.

You have to assess just how much damp there is and how severe the rotting has progressed.

Read the following for more help.

Click HERE and HERE for more reading.

Pete

:welcome: to the Forum.

When ever you find damp it is best to have sorted sooner than later and is not cheap.

If your a competent DIYer you could have a go yourself but need to know what your doing, sorry.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Just my personal opinion, but I'd leave well alone.

There possibly are health issues with mold spores (I don't know how significant they really are, but do your own research) but my main reason being that although you don't have the largest budget, it should still be enough to buy something that isn't so obviously damp, especially at this time of Year.

In saying that though, maybe have a look at BOAC's links and see if you don't mind doing the work? Having gone through it myself, I'd never do it again, but if the rest of the caravan really is that good. .. it may be worth it to you.

The cost isn't really significant in doing the repair yourself, but it is time consuming and you need a way to keep it dry, supply power to tools etc whilst you're doing the repairs.

Myself, I'd hold out and try to bag a bargain. We sold our old van a few weeks back for £700. 00 for a quick sale as we had a new(er) one coming so it can be done.

Good luck!

Edited by Panter

I totally agree with BOAC, sound advice.

Having repaired 4 `vans previously, i know only too well the hidden damage there can be.

On the surface the damage can be small, but underneath can extend a fair way, resulting in not just a bit of surface damp or staining, but rotten framework too. A simple damp/moisture detector will give you some indication, and don`t just go in the one area you KNOW is damp. As you state you are on a limited budget, be very wary about taking something like this on.

The appropriate manufacturers wallboard only in large sheets is not cheap - if it is still available for your `van, otherwise 3mm ext. ply (matching the thickness of original) and paint if you are not worried about a non match. These repairs are VERY labour intensive too. As you quite rightly state, there is that all important health issue - very real if the damage is bad, but not an issue if repairs are done before use.

Sorry to put a negative spin on this, just trying to pass on some of the pitfalls as i have found them. You will probably get more advice, as lots of people have repaired damp damage. If you are really taken with this `van and prepared for the work, check the extent first,

If it is more widespread walk away. There will be plenty of others.

Unfortunately every one of these jobs is different Re. size and work involved, but if you match the wallboard, with carraige and the 2 part adhesive needed, you can kiss goodbye to £100 without anything else.

Think iceberg - I little bit of damp visible, the rest stretching away out of sight. Mould is definitely a health hazard I would not subject a small child to it - my adult daughter had to leave a rented house after persistent chest problems from damp rented house basement.

There are loads of older caravans around - I would hold out for a dry one. After all you want to spend your free time going away in it, not spend weeks or months fixing it, unless you really have that time free. .

Hi all,

I'm new here, and just about to purchase my first caravan, but due to limited funds I will be buying an old girl, (only have 650 max to spend),

So I'm off to see one tonight with the mrs, but there is a bit of damp at the front under the window,

The thing is the rest of the caravan looks amazing (for the price), so I'm really tempted to get it, as our first caravan, and just get the front bit fixed later down the line. ..

How much does this type of repair normally cost?

I really don't know what to do for best, I have a 2year old little girl also, is there any health concerns with a little bit of damp or is it just when its really bad?

Any help / advise / wisdom would be much appreciated!

Unless you are prepared to do the repair yourself, the cost of having it done may well exceed what you have paid for the van in the first place. It then no longer becomes a `cheap` van.

Keep your wallet closed - there are dry vans out there, you just have to keep looking. Unless you need a van NOW, then take your time and wait for the right one to come along.

AMAZING!

This is the first thread I have read on CT where I agree with everything everyone has posted. THAT is a record.

Pearls of wisdom from everyone. :goodpost: 's.

Pete

Hi Ash,

She looks very good but beauty is only skin deep.

Do yourself a favour and save yourself possibly ££££££££'s by hiring a mobile caravan tech and get him to do a damp meter check.

That's how I would go in your situation.

Pete

Ebay listing says nothing about damp so if it does have damp, the listing is Not As Described so. ....run very fast in the opposite direction.

So far, not one single poster has advised you to buy it. You must realise the reasons why.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Think I will still go see it just to see for myself, if its been sealed is it no longer an issue? (Something I was going to ask him)

Also, here is the other one I'm looking at perhaps buying:

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/221924732180?_trksid=p2055119. m1438. l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No where near as nice, but been to see it at the weekend and seems dry, he had similar issue with the damp at the front but repaired it himself. ..

My mate sold his old caravan on stealbay, sold it to a gullible young couple for £500.

Frankly I couldn't believe he would sell it, had it been mine I would have scraped it.

The couple were happy with their purchase, saying if it got them away for a year or two then they would have got the value out of it.

I also checked out a "dry" caravan for sale for the son in law, a work mate of his was selling it, and said it was dry.

So I checked it out for the SIL with the damp meter only to find the rear corner rotten and damp, also a small area upfront on the floor, which was rotten on the outside, in fact part of the floor had gone.

After that I was not interested and advised the SIL not to buy. But the caravan was on sale for £3000.

So my advice is to check with a damp meter over the entire caravan, so you can access whether the caravan is worth the money to you.

Our first caravan was damp, but it was the old construction which could be dried out, something we had to do every time it rain, but we got our value out of it, and sold it on.

Second caravan I played it "safe", bought from a dealer with a 3 month warranty, after 3 months we found damp!.

Edited by xtrailman

I`d run a mile from the Swift - for starters you know its got damp, it also looks like someone has oversealed the nearside awning rail with either black tape or mastic. Whichever, it`s a bodge, and one that would only get done if it was leaking.

The ABI looks OK for the money having the awning, but I`d still crawl all over it with a damp meter - and take along someone else who knows what to look for - before parting with any cash.

Well just text the guy with the swift and hes sold it at dinner time, and didn't have chance to tell me, (yea. .. thanks. ..)

So, not it looks like the Abi is only option at the minute. .. to take the plunge or to wait, that is the question. ..

Am i expecting too much for 650?

Ash3000k, on 03 Nov 2015 - 4:34 PM, said:

Am i expecting too much for 650?

If its got no damp then go for it.

i think you will struggle to find one at this sort of age with out damp. just the levels of it will vary. mine had damp issues but i think i managed to catch it in time. its all a learning curve with your first van. ive learnt loads ;)

Sold for £650 with 3 secs to spare - was it the OP?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

sometimes you just got to have whatever you can afford :)

Wispman, hopefully the OP will come back and let us know. I do hope he hasn`t been reeled in!

With any `van that the seller says has been sealed as opposed to repair,- yeah, sealed the damp IN so it can multiply and stink at a later date!

xjjohn, on 03 Nov 2015 - 7:55 PM, said:

sometimes you just got to have whatever you can afford :)

True, but if the OP waits his right van will come along - without damp. They are out there.

He hasn't said he would even check for damp in a van. I hope our advice is heeded.

i think you will struggle to find one at this sort of age with out damp. just the levels of it will vary. mine had damp issues but i think i managed to catch it in time. its all a learning curve with your first van. ive learnt loads ;)

Agreed 100%, its the view i took with our first van, after looking at many older cheap vans i found ALL had some damp, some MUCH worse than others.

In the end i got a 1996 sterling sprite 450cd, i noted it had one damp wall(osf) but the condition of the rest of it was fantastic!

We ripped the wall to bits, removed and resealed the awning rail, made a reasonable diy job of it too between me the wife and my dad, and got 4 years of great holidays out of it.

Then in the last year the rear awning rail screws on both sides let go as the screws had corroded and broke, i didnt notice and the osr became damp and rotten.

I resealed the rail sharpish and got another year out of it, but the aluminium skin started to get pin holes in the exterior and it needed more time than i was willing to put in to it.

Hence we traded it in for the Orion.

But you do learn a great deal, and if you are a bit practical it can be extremely rewarding.

If its just to try it out for a couple of years to see if you like it, simply get the very best you can but be prepared for a bit if diy.

Hi all!

I won the Abi!

I suppose if I can get 3 years out of it then its paid for itself!

Having tow bar fitted today then picking it up later today,

Thanks for all the advice thus far, I'm sure there will be many more questions along the way haha,

Well done Ash.

The best thing now is to cover it with a breathable cover.

Pete