Caravan Permanently In Spain....help With Insurance ?

Jozzer

Hi everyone I'm a new member and wondered if anyone has any advice on this matter.

My Caravan is permanently going to Spain next year and although it's fully insured while in storage and travelling to & from campsites by the storage company, I wondered if anyone had any advice on Insurance while we are using it.

A couple of years ago there was a stone storm and all the Vans had dents like tennis balls all over them, some where insured and some weren't. I don't want to run the risk or my beloved Van getting damaged when uninsured.

Any advice appreciated, Jozzer

Phone your insurance and find out what's covered. . . . It may well be anyway, our house insurance covers a lot of stuff too

Phone your insurance and find out what's covered. . . . It may well be anyway

Agree. Our caravan is 90% of the time in Poland and our insurance company covers this no problem.

If it's going to be permantly in Spain, have you thought of trying a Spanish insurance company?

Dave

Spanish insurance companies are notoriously difficult when it come to insuring caravans and best left alone unless absolutely necessary. You would also need a spanish address.

I have my caravan stored in spain and my english insurance company allows 365 days a year foreign travel, so it is insured which ever country I am in.

Check with your insurance company.

We live in Spain, so we have imported our caravan (it was very easy) and hence it has to be insured by a Spanish company. The only company we have found that do sensible prices for caravans is Catalana Occidente. You can insure with them via the internet, but for a few euros more (and because our Spanish isn't too good) we have used a broker www. segurosoliver. com, talk to Tina or Ana.

Best of luck

Spanish insurance companies are notoriously difficult when it come to insuring caravans and best left alone unless absolutely necessary. You would also need a spanish address.

I have my caravan stored in spain and my english insurance company allows 365 days a year foreign travel, so it is insured which ever country I am in.

Check with your insurance company.

If, as your location suggests, you are resident in Spain then the caravan should be registered and insured in Spain as should the car.

If an insurer is advised that a UK resident keeps their car or caravan abroad for 365 days a year the insurance would be invalid. The 365 days/annual a year cover is intended for UK residents touring from the UK for up to 365 days.

My Caravan is permanently going to Spain next year and although it's fully insured while in storage and travelling to & from campsites by the storage company, I wondered if anyone had any advice on Insurance while we are using it.

Any advice appreciated, Jozzer

If the storage company is transporting the caravan to sites by road then it will probably require to be registered and insured in Spain.

Most continental European countries require trailers to be registered which creates problems for situations such as you are contemplating.

A UK caravan would not be insured while on the road being towed by a Spanish registered vehicle?

Dave

That is correct. Unlike the UK, third party insurance for the towcar doesn't cover the towed trailer. Conversely, a UK registered car towing a foreign caravan will have the caravan covered twice.

Edited by Lutz

It seems that everybody is an expert on my situation and circumstances here in spain and can tell me I am breaking the law, while in actual fact knows zilch about me.

Why do you assume that I leave my caravan here 365 days a year and tow with a Spanish reg car, I also know where to come when I need an expert on Spanish law.

I have been around and long enough in the tooth to be aware of what is right and wrong and do not need lectures from barrack room lawyers, so thank you I shall continue to do as I think fit and have been for many years. I am not stupid enough to do some of the things I am accused of.

Well that sure stopped these posts!!!

I thought we all did this to exchange info, shame some people take umbridge when others are trying to help!!!

It seems that everybody is an expert on my situation and circumstances here in spain and can tell me I am breaking the law, while in actual fact knows zilch about me.

Why do you assume that I leave my caravan here 365 days a year and tow with a Spanish reg car, I also know where to come when I need an expert on Spanish law.

I have been around and long enough in the tooth to be aware of what is right and wrong and do not need lectures from barrack room lawyers, so thank you I shall continue to do as I think fit and have been for many years. I am not stupid enough to do some of the things I am accused of.

Have you tried the European Caravan Club?

I believe they have access to a policy that will cover your risk.

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

Firstly, as you give your location as Spain it may be assumed, quite reasonably, that you are resident there!

"I have my caravan stored in spain" seems to be clear enough.

"Spanish insurance companies are notoriously difficult when it come to insuring caravans and best left alone unless absolutely necessary". Seems to indicate you have sought Spanish insurance so why are they difficult? Is it that a UK resident cannot take out Spanish insurance?

So, to clarify, you are not a Spanish resident and you just store your caravan in Spain? If so, does your caravan insurer know that it is stored (permanently?) in Spain? I have 365 annual cover for touring but I cannot store a caravan abroad as it seems is not possible for a UK insurer to insure "property" outside the UK. This has been a regular subject on caravan forums but nobody seems to have found a UK insurer willing to provide written confirmation of such cover.

My house is in spain, I have a spanish car insured in spain, I also have an english car taxed and insured legally in the UK, my caravan insurance is english and so is my caravan.

My home in Spain I use as a base, When I am at home I store my caravan, but I am away for many months of the year in Europe and the UK so an english car and caravan suits me better.

I do not like spanish caravans I do not even like european caravans, I like what I have and that needs and english reg to tow it.

I do tour in spain but only a bit, normally I am over the border somewhere, I am just in the process of planning my trip to Italy as soon as the sites open, I will be away for a while. Why would i want to at great expense transfer my caravan onto spanish plates when I am away for most of the year, I will be in the UK for the summer months. I am also away in it for Christmas.

I have lived here for 16 years and you should give me credit for knowing a little bit that goes on here and how to stay within the law, I am not a resident and have no intention of being one, why would I want to be spanish I am only here for the sun and it is out now and nearly 30 degrees .

The town hall are on the fiddle, most of the country is on the fiddle I have myself bunged those that matter in the town hall for favours. I had my road tarmacced for two bottles of wine, and a habitation license for another two, if you have not got the right papers then a bottle of brandy to the chief of police and you are sorted, and I live in a large town, why would I want to be spanish and all the complications that go with it.

I am nearer 80 than 70 and long enough in the tooth to keep my nose clean, if anyone wants to tell me how I should do things I am to old to care. All the bad things about spain you have read in the papers have all happened to me, I was even on the programme "homes from hell" and also had a house demolished and court cases etc etc so a little thing like caravan storage means nothing to me.

The police here will fine you for things they make up, so you may as well break the law.

So no more talk of what I should and should not do it is like water off a ducks back to me, but I do like a good argument so keep the replies coming, it keeps me from being bored.

I keep my caravan in France, I am insured with Towergate, I'm sure they will also cover a caravan in Spain

Spanish insurance companies will insure a car and because they class themselves as European they cover the car for use in EE countries . They do not insist it is only for 30 days or 90 days etc. I lived in Spain and had a spanish car and the insurance covered me for Europe for as long as I was in any of the countries like France Germany etc. I am not sure what they did for caravans but I don't understand why insurance on things is limited to a certain timescale when you are abroad in the EU. The item in question is insured so if you are away for a week or longer you are probably only going to have 1 accident which could happen at any time so why only 30 days of the year.

Edited by pagan8c

What has happened to the OP? He has only made this 1 post and seems to have disappeared without trace. Maybe he has thought better of it, what with all the arguments on here!

Dave

Spanish insurance companies will insure a car and because they class themselves as European they cover the car for use in EE countries . They do not insist it is only for 30 days or 90 days etc. I lived in Spain and had a spanish car and the insurance covered me for Europe for as long as I was in any of the countries like France Germany etc. I am not sure what they did for caravans but I don't understand why insurance on things is limited to a certain timescale when you are abroad in the EU. The item in question is insured so if you are away for a week or longer you are probably only going to have 1 accident which could happen at any time so why only 30 days of the year.

Same here in Germany. Insurance is EU wide and the insurance company has no right to ask in which EU country the vehicle is in use and for how long.

Same here in Germany. Insurance is EU wide and the insurance company has no right to ask in which EU country the vehicle is in use and for how long.

Oh dear, Lutz!

Every insurer has the right to stipulate terms as they see fit.

In respect of "foreign" use cover for vehicles EU insurers are only required to provide 'third party' cover for all EU countries to the national requirement of each.

Almost all UK insurers restrict "comprehensive" vehicle insurance for use outside the UK. Other EU countries, apparently, do not.

My house is in spain, I have a spanish car insured in spain, I also have an english car taxed and insured legally in the UK, my caravan insurance is english and so is my caravan.

My home in Spain I use as a base, When I am at home I store my caravan, but I am away for many months of the year in Europe and the UK so an english car and caravan suits me better.

I do not like spanish caravans I do not even like european caravans, I like what I have and that needs and english reg to tow it.

I do tour in spain but only a bit, normally I am over the border somewhere, I am just in the process of planning my trip to Italy as soon as the sites open, I will be away for a while. Why would i want to at great expense transfer my caravan onto spanish plates when I am away for most of the year, I will be in the UK for the summer months. I am also away in it for Christmas.

I have lived here for 16 years and you should give me credit for knowing a little bit that goes on here and how to stay within the law, I am not a resident and have no intention of being one, why would I want to be spanish I am only here for the sun and it is out now and nearly 30 degrees .

The town hall are on the fiddle, most of the country is on the fiddle I have myself bunged those that matter in the town hall for favours. I had my road tarmacced for two bottles of wine, and a habitation license for another two, if you have not got the right papers then a bottle of brandy to the chief of police and you are sorted, and I live in a large town, why would I want to be spanish and all the complications that go with it.

I am nearer 80 than 70 and long enough in the tooth to keep my nose clean, if anyone wants to tell me how I should do things I am to old to care. All the bad things about spain you have read in the papers have all happened to me, I was even on the programme "homes from hell" and also had a house demolished and court cases etc etc so a little thing like caravan storage means nothing to me.

The police here will fine you for things they make up, so you may as well break the law.

So no more talk of what I should and should not do it is like water off a ducks back to me, but I do like a good argument so keep the replies coming, it keeps me from being bored.

Well that's sorted then! Bending the rules right left and centre at that age! Shame on you.

Well bopeep, it must be wonderful to have so much time on your hands - as the length of your last post shows.

It cost us less than 400 to import our caravan, we think this was reasonable and keeps everything legal.

I could say much more about living in Spain but we are far to busy - drinking Spanish wine!!

Unfortunately I do not drink alcohol in any shape or form, never really did much but health forces me now not to touch it.

I would not import my caravan onto Spanish plates if it were free and they gave me money to do so, nor would I be a resident, cannot possibly see the point. I am legal it is never in spain long enough to break the law.

I am busy, I am building my house, most days you will find me with a trowel in my hand instead of a glass of poison.

Oh dear, Lutz!

Every insurer has the right to stipulate terms as they see fit.

In respect of "foreign" use cover for vehicles EU insurers are only required to provide 'third party' cover for all EU countries to the national requirement of each.

Almost all UK insurers restrict "comprehensive" vehicle insurance for use outside the UK. Other EU countries, apparently, do not.

If that is the case in the UK, so be it, but use within the EU is not classified as 'foreign' by the Continental insurances.