The Best Pitch Rush

Reading a thread started by AlfaEuropa concerning pitches on a CC site and the 12pm rush, what do you regard as being the ideal or best pitch. Generally we think that most pitches are all the same and the only thing we really look for is how far the pitch is from the water point.

We are not overly bothered with views etc however we will avoid where possible siting the caravan under trees. We learnt that lesson a long time ago. Also as we have a satellite dome we now make sure we have a good line of sight.

So what is your perception of the ideal pitch?

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Good thread!

-Space (distance from neighbours, more being better)

-Views

-Ease of getting on (no mover fitted yet)

-preferably not miles from toilets

-preferably not too close to toilets

We don't get too bothered if it's not flat and have no thought for TV reception.

Reading a thread started by AlfaEuropa concerning pitches on a CC site and the 12pm rush, what do you regard as being the ideal or best pitch. Generally we think that most pitches are all the same and the only thing we really look for is how far the pitch is from the water point.

We are not overly bothered with views etc however we will avoid where possible siting the caravan under trees. We learnt that lesson a long time ago. Also as we have a satellite dome we now make sure we have a good line of sight.

So what is your perception of the ideal pitch?

If looking on a map I want my awning facing south west ideally ( same as the garden) as on an evening you want to catch the suns rays as much as possible

On a recent visit to Burrs Park CC site there was no point for the 12 o clock rush as quite a few of the happy campers didn't leave till gone three. Admittedly it was a Sunday, but I was quite annoyed at having to negotiate past some vans & motorhomes on the way in at 12:45, at least 20 vans left whilst we were setting up & quite a few more were getting ready to leave as we were going out to eat at 14:00.

Normally I will park anywhere that looks quiet, away from the main drag, I don't want to be near the dog walk or on the route to the showers so people feel the urge to take a shortcut through my pitch.

Having young children that I won't allow away from the pitch on their own, a bit of room front or rear for them to play is appreciated not under trees if it can be helped. I'm not really fussed about anything else

Not under trees and reasonably flat if possible.

As far as the CC goes I think a programme of "tree cutting back" wouldn't go amiss on some sites.

Ian

If It,s just an overnight stop any pitch will do. If it,s for a week or two we try & get the awning facing south or southwest

as we do enjoy our evening drinks facing the sunset if possible.

As several people have already said NOT under trees.

Good thread!

-Space (distance from neighbours, more being better)

-Views

-Ease of getting on (no mover fitted yet)

-preferably not miles from toilets

-preferably not too close to toilets

We don't get too bothered if it's not flat and have no thought for TV reception.

Much the same except add serviced pitch and moat and drawbridge please.

. . You forgot, butler service!!!

Ha. Almost possible ! There's a moat and drawbridge at Blaye on the Gironde - leading in to the cute campsite inside the walls of the fort. But not serviced pitches, sorry .

Edited by moorgate

Most of the sites we use do not have toilets! But we do like to not be too far from a tap. Also like to be near and slightly uphill from a hedge so that we can run the waste hose straight in (with site owners permission of course).

We also try to avoid cow pats and sheep droppings though.

Any pitch that isn't under a tree, isn't a load of mud. ......and has no dogs in the adjoining outfits!

we just dig one each time

Most of the sites we use do not have toilets! But we do like to not be too far from a tap. Also like to be near and slightly uphill from a hedge so that we can run the waste hose straight in (with site owners permission of course).

We also try to avoid cow pats and sheep droppings though.

I should have added as number one priority:

• any pitch on a campsite in a location we like. ideally close to a pub

Once that first requirement is met, it's any "pitch" on a nice little site, likely a CL or CS

It's only a base to use while we visit an area not a second home, so anywhere that's available.

But preferably away from kids, or people who don't like dogs. Oh, and preferably somewhere near a dog-friendly pub. :)

Any pitch that isn't under a tree, isn't a load of mud. ......and has no dogs in the adjoining outfits!

As they used to say in the Yogi Bear shows. ..I'm with you Booboo. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As they used to say in the Yogi Bear shows. ..I'm with you Booboo. ...

geoff

Is the appropriate retort Yabba Dabba Doo? :D

Surely the best pitch is the one where you can see all the comings and goings, divorces starting when reversing on to pitches and divorces progressing when the awning goes up :D

Cheers

Keith

Not too fussed, though prefer shade in the summer months.

Prefer hard standing to grass, can do without dogs and door slammers!

Here's a new one.

Last summer we spent 10 days on a virtually new adult only site in Northants.

Given that only a year or so before it had been a farmer's field they'd done a brilliant job, although there were still some rough edges to sort.

However one thing showed up their lack of experience and knowledge. As a farmer's field it had no trees and admirably they'd decided to plant one tree, of different types, between each pitch. Some were struggling and some were flourishing, but the wardens actually watered them on a rota basis, which was good.

The problem? Well they'd planted each one in the middle of the grass strip between pitches at about the point where the hardstanding ended. Fine now whilst they're tiny sapling, but in 10 years they'll have to be hacking them back to give clearance for the vans and they'll all be a very odd shape. It would've been much more sensible to plant each one about 10ft into the grass perimeter of the site, which is about 50ft deep anyway. With trees always plan ahead.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

when you know a site, it's easy, providing the pitches are vacant of course. Gosh, where to start, we have dogs so not too far from the dog walk, esp. for early morning and last thing at night. We have a sat. aerial so have to have a clear sight to set that up. No kiddies so we don't need to be near the playground. No trees overhanging the pitch, BTW we noticed the CC cutting trees back on a few sites this year. Not too far from the shower block / service points but not in a straight line to them where other folk may cut across the pitch. I like to have the door of the 'van facing east . To be honest, so long as he gets a clear line for the aerial that's about it.

Talking of cutting back trees, a couple of years back we stayed at Rookesbury Park CC and pitched up against one of the big copses there. It was like a green wall behind the van and gave a nice secure, sheltered feeling. The following day a heap of wardens descended on the copse and proceeded to hack off all bushy growth down to about 3ft high. The trees growing through the copse were left untouched. So the nice green wall behind our van disappeared and instead we had the unedifying prospect of rows of caravans on pitches that had been hidden.

I've never been able to figure out why they did it that way and why the trees, some of which overhung some pitches, were left alone. There was no vehicle sight line issue and at 3ft high it still hid small children who might get in the copse to play.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Talking of cutting back trees, a couple of years back we stayed at Rookesbury Park CC and pitched up against one of the big copses there. It was like a green wall behind the van and gave a nice secure, sheltered feeling. The following day a heap of wardens descended on the copse and proceeded to hack off all bushy growth down to about 3ft high. The trees growing through the copse were left untouched. So the nice green wall behind our van disappeared and instead we had the unedifying prospect of rows of caravans on pitches that had been hidden.

I've never been able to figure out why they did it that way and why the trees, some of which overhung some pitches, were left alone. There was no vehicle sight line issue and at 3ft high it still hid small children who might get in the copse to play.

On Southlands site IOW the hedge inbetween the rows is about 8' high so with the exception of the new bit, no matter where you are parked no view.