Gone Over To The Darker Side - 5Th Wheel

HDom

After a lot of umming, arrrrrrring and will it suit us we have bought a very nice used 5th wheel Celtic Rambler/Nissan Navara. After the Eterniti IB4 went we missed the space inside and although the Lunar Delta TI is very good it just "feels small", the living space in the Rambler feels huge and the King size bed will be a treat,will post up some pics when we collect it 😀

I have never seen the inside of a 5th. wheel and look forward to the pics.

Someone once described a 5th wheel as a 'gin palace' of the caravan world. How true that is I don't know.

It must be a fair old length though - or is it?

You must be missing the slide outs Dom!

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Well done :)

I loved looking at them when at the motorhome shows, we used to have one at our caravantalk show rallies.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

A few of our friends have 5th wheelers, they are huge inside.

I thought of selling the house, buying a small flat as a base and then buying a 5th wheel to tour europe full time. That idea got kicked into touch very quickly by SWMBO, she wouldn't even discuss it!

One thing that did strike me though was, because of the size there would be a lot of sites where it just wouldn't be possible to use!

Dave

A few of our friends have 5th wheelers, they are huge inside.

I thought of selling the house, buying a small flat as a base and then buying a 5th wheel to tour europe full time. That idea got kicked into touch very quickly by SWMBO, she wouldn't even discuss it!

One thing that did strike me though was, because of the size there would be a lot of sites where it just wouldn't be possible to use!

Dave

I have seen both 5th wheel and large size motorhomes on many CC sites in recent years but they seem to be limited to specific pitches when available.

Ignore all the negative replies I had a Celtic Rambler for two years and toured europe in it full time, sure there will be places you will have difficulty but they are great to use and tow, weight is not a problem. They were designed for use in Europe, but in the UK they are a doddle.

I now have the Inos twin axle with full wall slide made by the same company and I intend to get loads of use out of it this coming year.

The company will look after you, they have just delivered to spain a few things I needed that I fitted myself, you will love it. Do not be put off by comments by people that have never had one, I have had two American ones and one welsh I love em to bits, but decided on a change this time.

Good luck

You must be missing the slide outs Dom!

Ian

Sure do miss the space Ian and after a test drive at the 5th wheel open day in Wales realised just how manoeuvrable they are and how well they towed,we went there to look at an Inos caravans but although very well made the lack of "kerbside appeal " and the 50K price tag was just too much,while at the factory I just kept going back to the 5th wheelers and when this one came up on the bay of many wonders at a good price we went for it,hopefully we will meet up again in the new year. .Dom

Ignore all the negative replies I had a Celtic Rambler for two years and toured europe in it full time, sure there will be places you will have difficulty but they are great to use and tow, weight is not a problem. They were designed for use in Europe, but in the UK they are a doddle.

I now have the Inos twin axle with full wall slide made by the same company and I intend to get loads of use out of it this coming year.

The company will look after you, they have just delivered to spain a few things I needed that I fitted myself, you will love it. Do not be put off by comments by people that have never had one, I have had two American ones and one welsh I love em to bits, but decided on a change this time.

Good luck

Thanks BP,we are looking forward to getting it and getting a lot of use out of it,the grandchildren,family and friends will have lots of room when they stay with us at the lake. ...Dom

These are something I really fancy when we eventually change they really do look superb and seem the best of both worlds between motor home and caravan I'll be reading with interest.

Hi HDom

you mentioned eBay and I searched for Celtic Rambler. If its the one marked sold from Northampton, it looks really good. Enjoy!

Hi HDom

you mentioned eBay and I searched for Celtic Rambler. If its the one marked sold from Northampton, it looks really good. Enjoy!

Hi M. C. K. no its not that one but just the same with a few more extras and slightly lower price,when i went to look at it i took lots of pics but the phone and the pics are a bit wobbley DOH!!!!!

I have seen both 5th wheel and large size motorhomes on many CC sites in recent years but they seem to be limited to specific pitches when available.

A 5th wheel outfit is about 1. 5 metres less than a same size caravan a vehicle due to the overlap. The main issue is the unit is managed by using the tow vehicle but some small 5 th wheels have movers fitted.

Dave

Dave I have never seen a mover on a fifth wheel I have seen some cobbled together monster things in the states, but never a mover. If you could enlighten me on what you have seen I would be very interested.

Normally you can jack knife the trailer into position and unhook, but the early Celtic ramblers had a sliding hitch and you needed to be straight to unhook, the latest ones are much easier and much improved.

Dave I have never seen a mover on a fifth wheel I have seen some cobbled together monster things in the states, but never a mover. If you could enlighten me on what you have seen I would be very interested.

Normally you can jack knife the trailer into position and unhook, but the early Celtic ramblers had a sliding hitch and you needed to be straight to unhook, the latest ones are much easier and much improved.

Some of the Calder leisure small 22 ft have had caravan type movers fitted . I take it they must make the front legs into dollies not sure if Calder fitted or the owners . A lot of owners now use Reese Revolution pin boxes instead of sliding hitches which gives more room to turn and saves jumping out and pulling levers .

On the fifth wheel forum a owner put a caravan style jockey wheel onto the pin box and caravan movers .

Or you can just get a Parkit 360 for about 3500 from a supplier in Devon .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

When we spoke to the 5th wheel co. At the caravan show two years ago they told us that the smaller Dream Seeker can be fitted with motor movers but the Celtic Rambler cannot.

I would think a AWD system would move a larger UK 5th wheel just to position it on a pitch . It just needs a method of carrying the front on wheels.

My single axle mover is rated to 2200 kg on I think 15 % .

Dave