Fridge Vent Covers

alecsmart

Hi,

We will be collecting our new 2016 Unicorn Madrid soon and wondered if it is worth getting fridge vent covers. I assume they don't come with it although this would be sensible. We do use the caravan all year round and used covers on our present pageant Provence. I guess I'm looking for those of you with unicorn 3's with the new tall fridge.

Any other tips for the new 'van will be most welcome.

Thanks.

Sorry, alecsmart, I've a Unicorn 3, but never considered getting covers for the 'fridge vents. Surely you must remove them when the 'fridge is in use and when you're in transit?

Hi Alecsmart. . These covers are commonplace on caravans in cold weather regions such as the Alps. There's a pretty definitive response from Dometic GmbH on this thread (in German) http://wohnwagen-forum. de/index. php?page=Thread&threadID=42227

For our purposes, essentially:

- they are a cheap, good way to prevent cold air coming into the van and are designed for use below 10C. They also obviously prevent dust, damp etc from coming into the caravan

- caravan fridges actually require some heat to operate efficiently, and these will help do that in cold weather (in particular the freezer section)

- there is absolutely no problem using the covers with either gas or electric operation (at below 10C outside temperature), because they are designed that enough oxygen will come in and the exhaust gases will leave the interior of the caravan

We used to have them fitted to our Hobbys when winter caravaning, and given the above, it seems they're a pretty good idea all round.

Hope that helps!

Peter

[by the way, the response does go on to discuss a Dometic "Winterkit" which is much more expensive and is not considered necessary for ordinary winter use even in Germany, where temperatures regularly get far colder than here. They are intended just for heavy winter use in the Scandinavian market and probably aren't even available in Britain]

Edited by PME

Winter fridge covers lock in place and give just enough room for ventilation, allowing the fridge to build up the required level of warmth for it to work properly in cold ambient temperatures.

They have the advantage that they also keep out small leaves, rodents and bugs but their primary purpose is ensuring the fridge actually chills in cold weather.

They're expensive for what they are and really only warranted if you use the van a lot in winter.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I think you'll find that the more rectangular vents required for the Unicorn 3 fridges are a lot more expensive.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My Pageant came with them packed away in the cupboard with the external water filter and other bits and pieces

from new.

When i am not using the van i always fit them to keep out unwanted nasties and wet weather.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

That appears to be for one; there are two vents, so presumably that's £44. 20 plus P&P :unsure:

That appears to be for one; there are two vents, so presumably that's £44. 20 plus P&P :unsure:

Yep that's about the size of it.

Barmy price.

Also,if you don't keep them safe,the little locking buttons fall out when the unit is not attached.

I take them out and store them somewhere.

They are very secure when in position though and have towed with them fixed to the van with no problem.

The ones we had on the Orion didn't feel as secure.

Ian

Ah - I did wonder if two were needed. Surely they should be sold as a pair? When I bought the covers for our current caravan they came as a set, however the top cover is different as it doesn't cover the flue outlet. As the L330's for the Unicorn would not have this cutout so would it be correct to use two? The flue obviously cannot be covered.

Thanks for the replies so far - I am fully aware of the uses of the vent covers and really wanted advice specific to the Unicorn 3 and the rather different fridge configuration as looking at past threads there seems to be differing opinions about whether they/it are/ is needed.

Thanks.

Few years ago I had a Bailey and I had very poor performance of the fridge a friend came to look and said I needed to remove the extra covers.

There was no mention in the Bailey handbook that these covers were there even, never mind remove them.

BTW: the locking buttons ARE available as spares. I got several from Davan Caravans (Weston-super-Mare) last year, after 'loosing' two of mine. They were (are still?) the cheapest for the normal size grills.

I bought these covers for my U3 Madrid last year. Went away in the winter and put them on as temp was well below zero. Fridge did not work properly and did not cool. Took off covers and all was ok. Only use them now to keep bugs out when van not in use.

I bought these covers for my U3 Madrid last year. Went away in the winter and put them on as temp was well below zero. Fridge did not work properly and did not cool. Took off covers and all was ok. Only use them now to keep bugs out when van not in use.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Just out of interest did you buy two covers or just the one?

Stone me I thought the grilles were expensive but the securing "thingies" are something else.

£6. 23 each from Dometic plus £4. 99 postage.

http://www. thedometiccentre. co. uk/a1620-secure-button-wht. html

Was going to get a few to keep as spares thinking they would be coppers,might have to think again.

Ian

Edited by Tandem Man

If you thought the covers were dear from Bailey. .......................................................

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/DOMETIC-FRIDGE-WINTER-VENT-COVER-LS330-WHITE-401-5x223mm-/171731238188?hash=item27fbfabd2c:g:2AcAAOSwe-FU7wPT

Ian

The way covers are sold and priced is odd. Bought a pair for our U2 Vigo from bailey. Sold as a pair and quite cheap, even though they were for the huge fridge freezer in the U2 Vigos. The U3 Vigo has a tall but narrower fridge, and they are sold individually. That caught me out as I thought I was ordering a pair, so had to pay postage twice.

I put them on in storage, but haven't been out in weather cold enough to use them. They also help if you get a bit carried away when washing the van down.

Stone me I thought the grilles were expensive but the securing "thingies" are something else.

http://www. thedometiccentre. co. uk/a1620-secure-button-wht. html

Was going to get a few to keep as spares thinking they would be coppers,might have to think again.

Ian

Have a look here.

https://www. leisureshopdirect. com/ventilation/fridge-vents/dometic-vents-for-caravans-and-motorhomes

Thanks, that's useful to know. Just out of interest did you buy two covers or just the one?

Bought two and put both on for storage. As others have said, keep an eye for the securing "thingies". Spent an hour searching for one that fell off on my drive!

Ian

see post 13: Try Davan caravans of Weston-super-mare. Can't remember price but it was a fraction of your quote (that's why I bought several LOL). Don't have their contact details handy (typ!) but they advertise in various camping mags.