Why Do Ovens Take So Long!

PR1

Well why do caravan gas ovens take so long? I preheated the oven, popped the roasties, porky loin, stuffing an the latterly the Yorkshire puds n!

Still takes so much longer than my home oven!

Grrrrrr!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

The wife says that the oven in our Adria Adora is as good as the one at home. So no complaints.

Dave

We use ours a lot and my Wife hates the heating capabilites . .....doesn't do Yorkshires we agree!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Just done roast potatoes and chicken in my oven and took much the same time as my oven at home :) I find the gas hob much quicker cooking broccoli than my hob at home! Is propane hotter than normal gas? ;)

I have hated all my caravan cookers. :angry:

They cook the food on one side and not the other. Someday fan ovens will be fitted and I for one cant wait.

Edited by BOAC

I much prefer the caravan oven to the home one. We all hate the oven at home. It takes light years to heat up!

Just done roast potatoes and chicken in my oven and took much the same time as my oven at home :) I find the gas hob much quicker cooking broccoli than my hob at home! Is propane hotter than normal gas? ;)

What is gas at home forgotten as more than 20 years without it!

Geoff

Oven at home is an electric'fan' oven, there appears to be a lot of evidence that these are quite efficient.

The oven in the van is 'gas' and conventional 'convection', we find it slower but by no means inconveninet.

The 'slightly' slower cooking times in the van oven don't effect the meals we cook.

Ooops . .. when I 'we cook' of course I mean Mrs Avtur . .. however if it was really inconvenient I would be the first to know!!

I do nearly all cooking at home and all cooking in the caravan. We have electric at home, no gas. I convert my usual temperature to gas mark and go up the scale one mark and expect the cooking to take 20% longer. No problem however.

Our last few caravan ovens have been fine on the top rack, but anything below that (middle or bottom rack) have been decidedly useless. Even something like garlic bread would take 30 mins to cook on the middle rack!

Here's hoping the new van has a better oven, but not holding out a great deal of hope

Anything below the top rack is rubbish and only good for keeping hot but the top shelf is ok which just means that I can effectively only cook one thing at a time.

I do nearly all cooking at home and all cooking in the caravan. We have electric at home, no gas. I convert my usual temperature to gas mark and go up the scale one mark and expect the cooking to take 20% longer. No problem however.

Spot on! I reckon the issue is that it's easy enough (if lengthy) to get empty van oven up to required temp but once cold food inserted it doesn't have that extra power to get the oven back to temp quickly enough.

milkymarsh, on 01 Nov 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

Our last few caravan ovens have been fine on the top rack, but anything below that (middle or bottom rack) have been decidedly useless. Even something like garlic bread would take 30 mins to cook on the middle rack!

From your remark its another problem area in the caravan to be addressed by the manufacturers.

I will put that on my gripes list for the NEC 2016 :D

Our is ok and makes very good Yorkshires, we have a propane cooker and a Raburn cooker at home.

What I would suggest to those who having problems with there Yorkshires, is to try using an extra eggs in the mix.

For those who haven't made them and fancy a go, make sure you have air bubbles when you beat and make the mix before you start cooking the meat or preparing the veg, making the mix the night before or in the morning is not unusual.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We have always found that our caravan ovens are a bit rubbish, yes they will do the job but take a fair bit of extra time but then it's a caravan oven, it's never going to be as good as a fan assisted home oven.

However I guess things have moved on a bit, the newest van we have ever owned is a 2004 so we are using 10 year old tech, it's not a problem once you get used to it and realise it's not your home cooker, just have to wait an extra 20 mins for those oven chips. ..lol.

Rog.

Our caravan oven is used for storage only - total waste of time for cooking. We use a Remoska which is excellent for roasts and baking bread. There is of course the reliable Cadac with roasting dish as well.

If we had the choice we would have another cupboard instead of the oven which would be much more useful.

Mine's a Thetford and it's as good as the range cooker at home, in terms of temperature. I do find though that in the motorhome oven, with two shelves in and full, then cooking times are increased.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I don't have any problem with my oven, but I don't use it for exotic cooking.

However, the grill is so poor I have taken out the pan and just use the space as storage, removing anything that would be damaged when the oven is on, because it gets pretty warm in the space.

The grill just has one long burner and the pan is so far away, it won't even brown toast. It simply dries it out, eventually!

If I know I'll be on EHU, I'll put an electric toaster in, but that's not very often, and only if I remember it.

Mine's a Thetford and it's as good as the range cooker at home, in terms of temperature. I do find though that in the motorhome oven, with two shelves in and full, then cooking times are increased.

Russ

Thought you had an AGA in your M/H Rusty?

geoff

I don't have any problem with my oven, but I don't use it for exotic cooking.

However, the grill is so poor I have taken out the pan and just use the space as storage, removing anything that would be damaged when the oven is on, because it gets pretty warm in the space.

The grill just has one long burner and the pan is so far away, it won't even brown toast. It simply dries it out, eventually!

If I know I'll be on EHU, I'll put an electric toaster in, but that's not very often, and only if I remember it.

i used to put an upturned plate (not plastic, of course) under the pan to move it closer to the burner.

My wife told me the oven in our new (then) 'van was not cooking properly. I decided to take an entirely professional engineering approach to dealing with such an important matter. I read the instruction book where advice was "allow 20min to warm the oven and use a max temperature for first 10 min to warm up, then reduce the temperature setting to that required". I tested the oven with a calibrated thermocouple and meter and found the warm up time and temperature settings to be spot on. Conclusion: if you use the oven as advised in the manual, it's bang on accurate. Oven exonerated. Thetford awarded CDM. Wife now has no excuses for wrecking the roast, and as a result we always eat out.

The best caravan oven we had was the Rose oven in one of the first caravans. The later offerings have not been as efficient, however giving them sufficient time to fully warm up (on a high setting) before reducing the flame and putting the food in has worked well for anything we would cook at home. We also have a microwave, and sometimes this I used to preheat a joint before putting it in the gas oven. Generally cooking times are a little longer in the caravan ovens, but not enough to be a problem.

Our current motorhome oven is another story, and there is 'room for improvement' with the American designed oven there as the burner is directly below the shelf and can burn food in an instant.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.