Site Recommendation Aquitaine

Hi

Can anyone recommend a site in the Biarritz area of Aquitaine. Travelling June 2016.

We would like a fully serviced pitch and we will be using camping cheques.

2 adults, cycle friendly

Thanks in anticipation.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Whilst I don't want to put you off Camping Cheques (we've used them for many many years) this year (2015) we met an increasing number of campsite owners/managers who were very unhappy with them. They have now been taken over by yet another 'corporation' who have cut the money campsites receive, and take even longer to pay them back for the Camping Cheques they've taken. On two sites this year we were offered the same rate if we paid in cash!

You may well find that sites which are shown as accepting Camping Cheques this year may not be in the scheme next year. Two sites we stayed on were certainly dropping out for 2016.

As far as I can see from the (very slow at the moment) Camping Cheques website there don't appear to be many Camping Cheque sites in the Biarritz area itself, and certainly those in the above post are quite a long way (up to 200 miles in one case) from Biarritz.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a site in the Biarritz area of Aquitaine. Travelling June 2016.

We would like a fully serviced pitch and we will be using camping cheques.

Keith, You have a choice of only three sites as far as I can see if you insist on using camping cheques. I think you are restricting yourselves too much. If you are going all the way to Biarritz choose a campsite which you like.

If a campsite will take customers for the tiny sum they get from cheques ( is it €6?) then they are pretty desperate for business.

The municipal at Salies-de-Béarn about 30 miles E of Biarritz is quite nice but you will need to speak French and make it clear that you want a serviced pitch (I think they have a few.)

In Salies town you will hear quite a bit of English - ex pats methinks - but a nice town and beautiful area.

We went to Bayonne - quite nice but <very> commercial - and passed through Biarritz (of which we didn't think much) en route a day trip to Irun in Spain. What a mistake that was - as soon as you get into Spain, France does not exist in terms of signage. The only way we could get back was my memory of the way we came in!

A good trip is from Salies to Sauveterre-de-Béarn then up into the Pyrenees to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port which was one of the oldest pilgrimage routes over the top on the way to Santiago de Compostela. Stunning route, very windy, almost all in fantastic valleys to end at a place I can't remember or find on a map but it has a huge abbey. Pamplona is about 30 miles farther on and good roads.

Edited by Woodentop

We stayed at Camping Beau Rivage, Navarrenx (what a lovely site) for 3 weeks in August / Sep

they have service pitches and are the same price as standard pitches.

One day we done a trip to Biarritz and took about 1 1/2 hrs and didn't think much of the countryside in that area.

I totally agree with Woodentops post.

Edited by doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

hi

thanks for the replys

now looking at acs[ sites