Audi A4 1.9Tdi Replacement Next Year ?

GREIGE

Next year we are going to have to replace our old '98 Audi A4 TDi Saloon.

Now the thing is finding a vehicle to replace it is a bit tricky.

We really want to stay with Audi as we know it fits us both comfortably. ( I'm 6',size 12 feet. My wife 4'9",size 3 feet. Awkward to find a vehicle to suit such differences)

We think a replacement A4 might be a wee bight light for towing our Bailey. Even if we went upto the 2. 5 Turbo Diesel for power & torque.

Ant thoughts on the A4 or would we be better looking at possibly the A6 ??

Our budget will be Very Tight so buying something more than £5-£6000 is not an option.

All thoughts,opinions or ideas are welcome !!

We have a 2012 Audi A4 3. 0 V6 TDi. Not sure its in your budget but not much will tow more without jumping to the big Chelsea Tractors. Stable and solid tow. Only 2 A6 have greater kerbweight and power and that the V6 Bi-urbo TDi and the S6 neither are sensibly priced or easily available.

I think you're shafted mate! The only thing to replace that car is a newer 1. 9 diesel (VW or Audi) if it's reliability and fuel economy you seek.

It appears that once you go above the 1. 9 diesel (nearly all makes), you get into the realms of add ons that are so highly technical, especially in terms of electric engine control, that they lose reliability and are very expensive to repair when things go wrong.

Having said that, it all depends on your financial position. Would have thought your Musso would tow most caravans though.

Which part of the kingdom do you hail from?

What about a skoda superb? Not sure whether heavy enough to tow for you, but you can get a lot of car for your money. Eg:

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201508196186640

And this one is a newer 2. 0 with a tow bar

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201510248116668

Or maybe an s type diesel to tow with? Looks superb value

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201510077587229

Or if you want to stick with Audi try this:

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201509287294326

Edited by milkymarsh

What about a MB C class ( C220 CDi) tows well and my 6' 3" and my wife's 5'2" frames fit well :)

You should just about get about a W204 (2008 or 9) for that price

Worth a thought and it will tow a dream :)

I think you're shafted mate! The only thing to replace that car is a newer 1. 9 diesel (VW or Audi) if it's reliability and fuel economy you seek.

It appears that once you go above the 1. 9 diesel (nearly all makes), you get into the realms of add ons that are so highly technical, especially in terms of electric engine control, that they lose reliability and are very expensive to repair when things go wrong.

Having said that, it all depends on your financial position. Would have thought your Musso would tow most caravans though.

Which part of the kingdom do you hail from?

The Musso tows it fine. My MPG dropped from 30mpg to 20mpg while towing it down from Aberdeenshire though. And that was taking it easy ! Sitting at 50mph most of the way. Dont know if it was my driving or if there was maybe something up with the caravan. Every slight incline I was down to 3rd gear and 40mph.

I hail from Glenrothes originally but moved to Glamorous Ballingry a couple of years ago.

What about a skoda superb? Not sure whether heavy enough to tow for you, but you can get a lot of car for your money. Eg:

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201508196186640

And this one is a newer 2. 0 with a tow bar

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201510248116668

Or maybe an s type diesel to tow with? Looks superb value

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201510077587229

Or if you want to stick with Audi try this:

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201509287294326

Ah. Thankyou for all the suggestions.

I realised I missed out one vital factor in my original posting.

The replacement vehicle will be an ESTATE.

Sorry. Although I think looking at the Skoda is a worthwhile idea. We aren't Badge Snobs it's just we know the Audi fits us well & has been utterly reliable in the years we have had it.

Going for the estate does trim things back a bit, but you could still get something like this:

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201509016516825

If I remember correctly the Passat doesn't fit my wife.

Also that one is an automatic which is not a consideration.

Thankyou though.

SWMBO has stated that,barring complete breakdown, we will not be replacing our Audi till next OCTOBER.

So an A4 2. 0TDI 170BHP Avant is my preferred option. (88% on match compared to our present A4 at 108% !!!! )

We will just have to wait and see what really gets bought. ...........

If considering an Audi 2. 0tdi, type Audi 2. 0tdi oil pump into google. I had one for a year and it was constantly on my mind.

If considering an Audi 2. 0tdi, type Audi 2. 0tdi oil pump into google. I had one for a year and it was constantly on my mind.

So I did go on line and see what the problem is.

Apparently its mostly the 2005-2006 engine that was a problem. A retro fit/upgrade of the oil pump shaft is required. Although most have either been done or are working fine.

ANY engine which has an oil pump failure is going to be unhappy.

So all the VAG engined vehicles out there with the 2. 0tdi engine should all have blown up,caught fire,destroyed themselves by now.

So why do we see so many on the road ??? Skoda,Seat,VW,Audi.

Loads of them !! Loads of 2. 0tdi Skoda taxis zooming everywhere !!

Considering most of the vehicles I ever bought are <£1000 and needed lots of TLC even to get them from one MOT to the next I am not going to worry too much. Maybe just a little bit though. .......

Insignia Tourer?

Thats a possible.

We have never even tried sitting in one of them.

Added to list !!

Just a warning i thought i should mention. Your choice, i will keep my nose out!!

Just a warning i thought i should mention. Your choice, i will keep my nose out!!

The information was appreciated.

Thats why I delved quite deeply into it.

Any make of car has problems but if you search enough it gets to the point,unless it really is a major problem,that the fault usually affects a tiny percentage of vehicles. In this case, with the same engine & oil pump being used in millions of vehicles, the percentage really is tiny. Unless you go on the Audi Owners Forum in which case its a Major Catastrophe !!

Octavia Scout?

Thats pretty much an A4, plus 4x4

http://m. ebay. co. uk/itm/121798314082?_mwBanner=1

Interesting one.

Added to the list !!

It will be a tricky car to replace, the 1. 9 PD engine is one of the very best diesel units ever made.

My Dad just sold a 1997 A4 with 250,000 on the clock and still going strong, and I know of other cars with similiar mileages.

IMO stay away from the A4 B7 derivatives, mainly produced from 2004-2008, well documented 2. 0 TDi engine issues.

I might be a wee bit biased here but I would consider a Mondeo Estate also, 2007 onwards :)

Edited by Debaser

It will be a tricky car to replace, the 1. 9 PD engine is one of the very best diesel units ever made.

My Dad just sold a 1997 A4 with 250,000 on the clock and still going strong, and I know of other cars with similiar mileages.

IMO stay away from the A4 B7 derivatives, mainly produced from 2004-2008, well documented 2. 0 TDi engine issues.

I might be a wee bit biased here but I would consider a Mondeo Estate also, 2007 onwards :)

Know what you mean. Our '98 has 202,000 on the clock ( or is it 204,000) and still going strong. Can still pull like a good ane. Will be sad to see her go.

I did as well until I spent £100 having the conversion done.

I saw mention of a conversion on quite a few of the places I looked at on the internet. If we do go for this age of car I know a nice wee garage beside us that will be able to do the conversion. For an extra few hundred pounds ( Just in case. Parts & labour costs always go up. Never down) It's not worth losing the right car for a simply fixed problem.

Your problem is the 1. 9 was replaced with an unreliable 2. 0TDi PD engine. This was replaced in 2008 by a much more reliable CR engine but most of these are awaiting a recall for emission issues.

Maybe a good time to talk a good deal on a newer CR 2. 0 diesel.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

If you don't want to buy till next October,I wouldn't start thinking till much nearer the time. A year is a long time in the world of used cars. Prices are only going one way so something that's over budget now will probably be affordable this time next year. Having said that,what about a Seat Exeo. ......?

Isn't it more of a golf estate?

Technically yes it is, golf, leon, altea, a3 etc all share the same platform.

That said I dont think the a 1998 A4 was much bigger was it?

Dunno, just putting it in the mix.

My octavia is good, but its 2006 with a 1. 9pd still (and 4x4).

Tbh the 1. 9 might be amazing to some, but mine blew its headgasket while towing this August at 114,000 miles and decided it didnt want to keep its coolant within the header tank anymore.

That cost me a couple of hundred quid and a couple of days hard work to sort.

Technically yes it is, golf, leon, altea, a3 etc all share the same platform.

That said I dont think the a 1998 A4 was much bigger was it?

That's right, The A4 has stuck with the Longitudinal Engine Layout which eats into the passenger compartment space especially in the Front. It's a drawback of needing to offer big V8 Quattro variants.

An Octavia is not far off for space and has a much bigger boot but lacks a little for rear seat legroom.

Step up to the Passat/Superb that stick with the transverse engine layout and there is far more interior space than the A4.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

That's right, The A4 has stuck with the Longitudinal Engine Layout which eats into the passenger compartment space especially in the Front. It's a drawback of needing to offer big V8 Quattro variants.

An Octavia is not far off for space and has a much bigger boot but lacks a little for rear seat legroom.

Step up to the Passat/Superb that stick with the transverse engine layout and there is far more interior space than the A4.

The good thing about the A4 ( and other larger cars) is that because the foot wells are shorter, due to having bigger engines, its a lot easier for my wife to get the clutch pedal to the floor. Conversely when we originally looking for a car for her all the small town cars had really DEEP foot wells. And my wife couldn't put the clutch pedal to the floor !!

The transverse engine layout of the Passat/Superb is probably the cause of me thinking they didn't fit my wife. Their foot wells are probably a couple of inches too deep.

Our Octavia is predominantly driven by my Wife. .. She is 5ft 0 inches, no issues.

Bar the fact that she moans after everytime i use it lol.