Fed Up With This Caravanning Lark

Steamdrivenandy

We've just spent a very nice five days down at The Old Oaks.

But 'Hoi', getting there was a pain. The everlasting roadworks on the southbound M6/M5 junction delayed us by about an hour and that was on a relatively quiet Sunday afternoon. The result was an arrival in darkness after reception had closed.

Then on the way back today I lost count of the number of times we slowed to a crawl. I watched the road signs saying there were long delays between J14 and J16 on the M6 and they were the same from 11am when we started out 'til 4pm when we arrived in the area. Why on earth hadn't the problem been cleared over the intervening 5 or 6 hours? The only saving grace was that there were plenty of caravan spaces at Gloucester services on both journeys.

I'm thinking on giving up heading down southwards on the M6 because it just doesn't seem to be able to cope in either direction. I can't recall the last time we had a clear run.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Just give up Caravanning or stop driving down south, in the spare time you will

have help me relocate Hadrians Wall nearer to London and man the gates (not pc)

They are working night and day to finish this job. Don't know which day and night it is though! I have

yet to see anyone working!! :angry:

Just give up Caravanning or stop driving down south, in the spare time you will

have help me relocate Hadrians Wall nearer to London and man the gates (not pc)

T'is true my heart still lies in Burton Leonard, but family ties drove me to vacate North Yorkshire after 15 happy years.

Before we moved this way six years ago I'd rarely used the M6 or the M5 west of Brum. Our preferred route south was A1/M18/M1/M42/M5. OK it's 100 miles more to BL and 90 minutes extra travelling according to Google, but today we did 180 miles with a 30 minutes MSA break and it took from 11am to 5pm, 5. 5 hours travelling for 180 miles, an average of 33mph. It should take about 3 hours.

We came down the M6/M5 through the roadworks on the 20th of October at circa 2. 00 pm, and never dropped below 40mph. I just think it depends on what time of day you hit them!

As for giving up caravaning, we are thinking of giving up the house, buying a very small replacement, so Zoe has somewhere to live, ( we have bought the other two small homes) then going in the caravan full time. Only thing I will miss is my workshop for Toylander building, oh and a bath!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We came down the M6/M5 through the roadworks on the 20th of October at circa 2. 00 pm, and never dropped below 40mph. I just think it depends on what time of day you hit them!

I can assure you that on Sunday 25th October at around 2pm the jam started within yards of the M6 Toll slip and went right the way through to the M5. 10 miles that should take 11 minutes took in excess of an hour.

I can assure you that on Sunday 25th October at around 2pm the jam started within yards of the M6 Toll slip and went right the way through to the M5. 10 miles that should take 11 minutes took in excess of an hour.

We should have come back to base on the Sunday, but opted for a mid week slot instead.

Have learnt through experience to avoid Friday's Saturday's and Sunday's! Too many amateur drivers on the road who keep touching their brakes!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Heading south to Portsmouth last month on a Sunday the M6 was mental, start stop for miles, going north looked worse, bricking it heading home (Wednesday) we never dropped below 40ish and never stopped . Doddle, just give yourself more time.

Edited by Arnie

Heading south to Portsmouth last month on a Sunday the M6 was mental, start stop for miles, going north looked worse, bricking it heading home (Wednesday) we never dropped below 40ish and never stopped . Doddle, just give yourself more time.

Ah yes time.

Well I always plan to leave by 8. 30, but I've never achieved it.

Last Saturday night Mrs SDA organised and sang in a cabaret evening at our village hall with profits going to the church tower restoration fund.

So she then announces she has to attend church on Sunday morning to hear what people thought of the event. So she didn't reappear at home 'til 11ish and then we had to drive to the storage site and load and couple up.

We didn't leave until midday.

So much for my good intentions.

Ditto,but be grateful you got to the M5 junction. Came down yesterday, on hard shoulder (managed motorways), immediately behind an HGV. It jumped out of hard shoulder within yards of J9, hard shoulder closed, no signage that it had been for J9 only - evidently the displays were better spent warning of the queue, as if that wasn't obvious anyway. With the 8m van on back no chance of getting across, ah well, I'll go down junction & back up other side. Er,no. On slip closed, diversion through picturesque parts of Wednesbury and West Bromwich to J1 of the M5. I suppose I should be grateful; my wife followed down on train later, 6hrs (no exaggeration) to get <200 miles from Lancs to Bristol.

As for northbound, next time you curse about the M6 to Stoke, spare a thought for those of us with another 40 miles to go. M25? Speedway in comparison. ..

As for northbound, next time you curse about the M6 to Stoke, spare a thought for those of us with another 40 miles to go. M25? Speedway in comparison. ..

That's very true Disco, heading north is really no better 'til you've cleared Preston.

I've taken to going cross country from Holmes Chapel to Alderley, then up the A34 dual carriageway, or should that be roundabout land with the odd little bit of road between, and hooking up with the M60 to go east of Manc. .

That's very true Disco, heading north is really no better 'til you've cleared Preston.

I've taken to going cross country from Holmes Chapel to Alderley, then up the A34 dual carriageway, or should that be roundabout land with the odd little bit of road between, and hooking up with the M60 to go east of Manc. .

You need to clear further north at the moment; work on the Heysham bypass means delays around Lancaster. I know from experience working in Cumbria and living near Lancaster. The signage is appalling, meaning lots of last minute lane changing and the dreaded domino effect.

In 1982 we moved from Cheshire to Gloucester. I went in digs for a few months and computer home at weekends, M5-M6. It was a dodle, never any problems 70 all the way, less than 2 hours.

So much different now.

If late at night, and solo, I have gone through the centre of Wolverhampton to avoid the M5-M6 junction.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Ditto,but be grateful you got to the M5 junction. Came down yesterday, on hard shoulder (managed motorways), immediately behind an HGV. It jumped out of hard shoulder within yards of J9, hard shoulder closed, no signage that it had been for J9 only - evidently the displays were better spent warning of the queue, as if that wasn't obvious anyway. With the 8m van on back no chance of getting across, ah well, I'll go down junction & back up other side. Er,no. On slip closed, diversion through picturesque parts of Wednesbury and West Bromwich to J1 of the M5. I suppose I should be grateful; my wife followed down on train later, 6hrs (no exaggeration) to get <200 miles from Lancs to Bristol.

I thought it was just me the first time I towed through there, it's a near impossible task to shift lanes safely with the notice you are given especially with nearly 8 metres of Hymer hanging on behind, I stick in lane one now until I get to the RAC building and then pull in for the M5, aren't we supposed to be doing this for enjoyment???

As we purchased the Rimini from Chichester Caravans in Birmingham I've had to drive that way a fair bit this year.

Once to go and look at the van, once to collect it, twice going on holidays and once taking the replacement van back when the original had its roof replaced. I've never had a decent run in all five attempts. Though I'll admit that for two solo runs south I've opted to leave the M6 at J13 and head through Wolverhampton and on to Chichester's premises just the other side of an M5 junction. Although it's all dual carriageway it's quite tediously suburban and probably doesn't save any time, but at least you keep moving. I'd not be so happy doing it with a van on the back, though, in truth, it shouldn't be any worse

Yesterday we were travelling home in company with a friend in a motorhome. She got so fed up with the M6 that she decamped at the A44 junction (Worcester South) and headed west to the A49, up to Shrewsbury and then across country via Market Drayton to our home village. Annoyingly she got home at least an hour before us.

Hi

M6 M5 southbound is never, or very rarely, good on a Sunday pm. Up until a couple of months ago I did a weekly commute from Wirral to Worcester and travelled cross country - Worcester to Kidderminster (that bit was busy on a Fri pm but quiet on Sunday) - Brignorth - Telford - Whitchurch and home, shorter and quicker. It would be ok with a van as well.

John

Plus it was half term week last week ! What are you even thinking ?Travelling on school holiday weekends should be avoided at all costs ! B)

According to Google Maps the route our friend took from Worcester South should take 2hrs 35mins to get home. The M5/6 route we took from that point should take 1hr 24mins. So her route was theoretically 1hr 11mins longer and she arrived home and hour before us. That suggests our journey from Worcester South took 2hrs and 11mins longer than estimated and that's without the hold ups we suffered before Worcester.

There was little evidence of much holiday traffic, maybe a few more caravans than usual, but nothing like the numbers you get in the summer and few cars crowded with kids etc. Gloucester North MSA was busy but not massively so and the caravan parking was less than half full at lunchtime.

SDA

1. Location, location, location. You are clearly living in the wrong location. :rolleyes:

2. Destination, destination, destination. You are clearly wanting to travel to the wrong destinations. :rolleyes:

3. Have you considered counselling before planning a trip? ;)

4. Perhaps you should leave two clear days before and after Mrs SDA's Gareth Malone gigs. :D

DeeTee

Edited by DeeTee

We avoid the M6 as much as possible however if you want to go to Scotland we have no choice. How many years does it take them to upgrade a motorway as they were working on the road in April when we went to Scotland? The other road that they keep re-doing is the M50/A449 between Worcester and Newport as seldom are you able to use the road with our road works. What is very annoying is that the road is cordened off for miles and miles and no one doing any work. How often have you seen them digging a trench with one person doing the work and 5 standing around watching him?

Timing is everything - easy for us retirees to say - so think laterally where you can and move journey times away from the daytime as possible.

I did once forget and drive down the M6 from Scotland on the friday before an English bank holiday and it was stop-start all the way south from Kendal.

When it's really congested, forget sat-navs and PC route planners - get an old-fashioned map out as there's often alternatives when it's that bad.

If I'd been travelling solo I'd have no compunction in getting off the blue roads and going cross country, but that shed on the hook at the back always gives me cause to think hard and often opt out of more drastic action.

And DT, Mrs SDA booked the five night break at TOO before she'd set the date for her 'Cabaret'. I'm just the driver round here.

Technology is the answer folks. I travel the country for work, with long distances between actual jobs. Most of these queues are shown on the modern sat-nav devices and can consequently be avoided. For instance the OP had he seen the jam could have gone down the Toll Road and around on the M42. A bit pricey, but time saved.

I use a mixture of TMC built in to the Volvo Sat Nav. This is not perfect, and has to be watched carefully. .... I also have TomTom app on my iphone with a Traffic subscription. This is invaluable - although you have to be a little cautious when towing to make sure the route is not unsuitable.

Plus ca change! Ten years ago,when I was working,I had to travel to Chester from Congleton for weekly meetings which began at 9. 00,am. I had to add an extra hour and a half to the " normal" travel time as the Holmes Chapel to Knutsford stretch of the M6 was snarled up. Then,getting into Chester itself involved further queuing.

Even then I was sometimes late for meetings.

It's all part of a plot to further separate North from South!

Is HST still on track BTW or has that been delayed/cancelled? After all,it's called "investment in infrastructure" and we simply don't do that in the UK!