Bailey Pegasus 534

lazydaze

Hi, We are looking to replace our 1998 2 berth caravan with a nice 2010 bailey Pegasus 534 with Alu tec Body construction we like everything about the van and could possibly commit to buying a 1 owner FSH van this weekend,however, on investigation their have been very negative reports

about quality control regarding water ingress /poor finish / etc.

Also their have been some positive comments and the van is everything the owners could wish for.

These comments were made by owners shortly after buying them new in 2010.

Although 5 years ago, are these faults due to the Alu Tec construction and therefore an ongoing problem.

If you own a Pegusus 534 I would be most grateful for your comments good or bad because I really want to buy this van but my excitement has been replaced by a fear of buying a liability .

Thank you.

All forums have some element of negative posts. Don't get hung up on it. Have it checked by a caravan engineer of you are concerned.

We bought a Pegasus 534 in 2010 and changed to a Unicorn 3 this May - sorry, too early for you! We loved every minute of owning the Peg but there was quite a lot of trouble with water ingress at the front end. The water got in through the light-filled handles and down the wires into the 2 side/front lockers, but was undetected in most cases as it went under the black plastic tray which filled those compartments.

We were alerted to it, found ours had water ingress and had it into the dealers who sorted it very quickly, and we had no more trouble from then on. That was the extent of any problems with our van - the finish was fine and everything worked well. If you do go for it, make sure you check those front lockers. Hope you love yours as much as we did ours.

Just something to bear in mind. The original Pegasus came out with the 10yr body shell integrity guarantee. So providing the service history is complete and been carried out by an approved workshop then you should be ok.

Hi, thanks for your replies, Tomorrow Iam travelling 160 miles each way to view this van only because its had one owner +FSH +Photos look good and the sellers sound genuine, as long as all the paperwork work is available i will like most people use commonsense and gut feeling to decide to buy, this has worked most of my life so why change now!

I will let you know how things go.

Regards Stuart.

Edited by lazydaze

Ask them to lift the trays in the front lockers either side of the van, you'll soon see if there is damp in the front end.

Check for a full service history

Have a look at the damp reports on the service invoices

I had an Olympus 534 and loved it but changed it because of damp in the front but also because I liked the series 2 Olympus. Lucky I changed when I did as they then discontinued it and I haven't seen a fan since that will suit me!

Good luck with the viewing, hope it all goes well.

i have owned a Peg 534 since March 2010. I have never had an issue with damp. I did fill in the grab handle holes in the front wet lockers with filler as they were mentioned on here as a source of dampness. Every service (5) shows no damp.

My only criticism is that the aluminium tends to be thin and can show dents. Check the fridge door as it can drop due to the weight of the bottles in there. Not a major problem as I placed a tap washer underneath to support the door when open. Don't worry if the bathroom door sticks at this time of year as it swells. It will return to normal in the warmer weather. Remember the van came with a TV as standard.

As everyone has said lift the wet locker trays. If they are covered with a black "paint" then don't worry as the dealers did this on service. Try and lift the front locker tray as well. It won't lift out completely due to the gas pipe. Take your time and check for the usual damage to worktops and wood surfaces. Check the age of the tyres as they will probably be due for renewal due to age. I got mine balanced as they are not balanced from factory. The sink can show rust marks but these are easily polished out. A front pull out table was optional and it will depend if you want one of not. All carpets are lift out so have a look at the lino underneath for damage. Check the cooker lights, the extractor fan works etc.

If its a good dry one then there is probably no better van out there IMHO.

Hi, thanks for your replies, Tomorrow Iam travelling 160 miles each way to view this van only because its had one owner +FSH +Photos look good and the sellers sound genuine, as long as all the paperwork work is available i will like most people use commonsense and gut feeling to decide to buy, this has worked most of my life so why change now!

I will let you know how things go.

Regards Stuart.

Update Hi, The Fog yesterday nearly stopped us from travelling but we were determined to go and look at the Pegasus 534, and we were relieved to find a well looked after stunning van, FSH, all relevant paperwork nice genuine people plus we done a good deal to include many extras plus they are going to deliver it to essex.

So a good day, really looking forward to next year, just have to buy a new / used car to tow this van.

If any of you have a decent 4x4 I might be interested.

Regards Stuart.

Can I just say, given "plus they are going to deliver to Essex", please say you've not handed over any cash! The worst people are 'nice genuine people'.

Great van, we found to be easy to set up (quicker tyan the old swift) we purchased our 2011 model last october traiding in our swift, it has such a feeling of space inside, no evidence of damp anywhere, you will allways find people quick enough to slate something and forums seem to be the place that they head for, and there are so many different types and layout of vans that in the end it has to be down to personal choice, enjoy ur new van, martin

Can I just say, given "plus they are going to deliver to Essex", please say you've not handed over any cash! The worst people are 'nice genuine people'.

Hi, A small deposit to retain the van, final payment by BAC on delivery.

Great van, we found to be easy to set up (quicker tyan the old swift) we purchased our 2011 model last october traiding in our swift, it has such a feeling of space inside, no evidence of damp anywhere, you will allways find people quick enough to slate something and forums seem to be the place that they head for, and there are so many different types and layout of vans that in the end it has to be down to personal choice, enjoy ur new van, martin

Hi,Martin, nice to find some favourable comments and that you enjoy your 534, our existing van is a Bailey Ranger 1998 450/2

a real cosy van old but in excellent condition only had it two years and have enjoyed many outings, so for us to get the 534 is going to be sheer luxury with all the mon cons and fixed bed can't wait for the new season.

Happy Caravaning thanks for the reply. Stuart.

Congratulations! I hope you have many a happy holiday in it. :)

You'll probably notice a number of differences between your old van and the Alutech construction method, Alutech is much stronger as you probably know- stand in the middle of your van and try to push the roof up. It doesn't flex! The fact that it's made with an insulating material and not just added after also keeps the van nice and warm all year round. Just keep your eyes peeled for the possibility of water leaks, as others have said

Edited by perksm