Some Recent Investigation Finding Regarding Usb Car Chargers

dreadly

I just thought I would spread/share some findings from my recent research into 12v cigarette lighter socket USB chargers.

I know several people were asking which the best are and what is the difference in the past.

If you know better or have your own preferred brand then great, this is just my humble findings and of course I am NOT sponsored or affiliated in any way unfortunately.

Well, after asking on several other internet sources and speaking with the others at work etc. I have purchased some 'Anker' branded products myself.

The main thing I discovered, which may well be obvious to some is that there are a few different standards for fast USB charging. Some products support standards such as IQ, BLUETEK, Samsung Quick Charge, Qualcomm Quick Charge. .. The list goes on. These technologies allow the charging circuit to talk to the device and let them know that they meet the standards required for fast charging. This then allows the device to switch to charge at high speed. Whilst most products are fairly happy to receive a basic slow charge from any old USB socket you may want to take things a little further and step up the speed of charge. I find that my iPhone goes flat fairly rapidly, so the ability to raise it a fair few percent in a short drive is invaluable.

I also discovered that these 'branded' charging products that meet the relevant specifications are fairly pricey and as a consequence of this they tend to get copied and there are lots of illegal fakes out on the market currently.

I looked around and contacted a company called Anker to ask some advice as I also wanted a new phone battery for my old Android phone. Anker's support was the best of just about any company I have ever dealt with. They advised me where to buy the products and which were cheapest and what was suitable.

I went to Amazon and bought through the approved Anker retailer to avoid any cheap knock-off products and received several products from them.

I purchased a dual USB charger, the Anker PowerIQ-2, one of the few dual USB chargers I could find that can charge 2 ipads at the same time without issue ---> http://www. amazon. co. uk/Release-Anker-PowerDrive-2-Port-Charger/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1446230827&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=anker+powerdrive2

I also purchased a 4 port 9. 6amp quad port charging adapter for the caravan ---> http://www. amazon. co. uk/Anker-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00U1677NG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1446230827&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=anker+powerdrive2

I also bought several iphone charging leads, some micro-usb leads, 60w 5 port mains USB charger and a 13 amp battery pack.

I have been using these devices for several weeks now and they are fantastic. The charging is much faster than my old 'unbranded chinese' 2. 1amp chargers and the car FM radio does not suffer any interference that I was getting with certain USB charging devices.

I would advise that you find out which fast charging standards your particular devices can actually take advantage of, as these particular devices may not be suitable for your specific needs.

Just as an additional note. You need to also purchase approved charging/data leads to take advantage of the high speed charging in most circumstances.

Edited by dreadly

We both have used Anker for the last couple of replacement batteries - 1st class

I actually had a rather bad experience with the battery. .. It stopped charging properly and started to overheat. I phoned Anker and they apologised and asked for the serial number of the battery. The next day (YES! Next day) a new replacement arrived and works perfectly, they didn't even want the faulty product returned.

Customer service to be proud of.

After reading some posts about a similar thing on the Mazda247 forum I've bought an ammeter that reads the charge current and voltage.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B00LHBFINK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JIFMXSK&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0AKEVYG4G22BKNEM7JVY

It does take about a month to arrive, but its so cheap, dearer ones show both current and voltage together this one alternates.

There is also an APP for reading the charge current.

https://play. google. com/store/apps/details?id=com. gombosdev. ampere&hl=en_GB

Edited by xtrailman