How Easy Is It To Swap From 7N/s To 13 Pin?

Panter

When I bought the car I had it fitted with 7N & 7S sockets, because that's what the 'van had.

We now have a 'van with one of these new-fangled 13 pin thingy's, but because we also had an old trailer boat (with 7N) we just bought an adapter to use with the van

The adapter works well, but it is very bulky, and we've also sold the trailer boat so how "easy" would it be to convert the existing towbar to a 13 pin socket?

I'm no electrician, but reasonably happy working on 12v systems, making connections/soldering etc but wouldn't want to mess around with the cars wiring loom.

Obviously I can just buy a 13 pin socket and wire it in, but is that possible with the (existing) two separate cables?

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Panter

Yes I've had it done.

You need the plate unless you drill out the hole in the existing one, and a rubber boot, not sure but since I did mine they might be a special boot for the job.

• Like 1

There is a 13 pin socket with two cable entries which makes life easy.

I got one off the bay and it took about thirty minutes to change.

Ian

• Like 2

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

Our new car has a 13 pin socket but the van had 12N and 12S plugs.

I had the opposite to you in that I changed the the caravan end of the deal, removed the wires from the 7 pins and put them into the 13 pin.

I found the best method of making sure that the wiring went to the correct pins was to write down which colour wires went to which existing pin and noted the function for each pin, with some wiring diagrams although pin function is always the same, wiring colours differed depending upon year of caravan.

Don't forget though that pin 4 (from memory) on the 12S, pin 9 on the 13 pin will be permanently live at the car so be careful not to short it out, wasn't a problem for me as I was at the van end of things.

• Like 1

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Easy! ;)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Easy to do, but connections between 13 core and the two 7 cores should be made with crimp connectors rather than scotchloks.

Also, if it is not possible for the connections to be made inside the car, make sure everything is well wrapped with insulation or self amalgamating tape, and securely fastened up.

You just use the existing cables, no need for any connections.

Although if its the caravan that's being done replacing with 13 core is the better option.

Opposite to you caravan had both old plugs and car one 13 pin, dealer put both caravan leads into one 13 pin plug.

Would assume same can be done with a 13 pin socket being put onto car. IE two leads into it.

My caravan dealer did it "free"

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Thanks all, much appreciated.

I want to actually convert it, rather than being able to run all the options so won't need to worry about splicing in wires.

We're fairly unlikely to be pulling a trailer any time soon, so I don't mind buying a (yet another) converter to use afterwards to connect to a 7N plug if it's ever needed.

The only slight snag I'm having is actually finding a socket! Loads of plugs out there that accept twin cables to convert at the caravan end, not so easy to find the equivalent socket at the car end.

And, point noted about the old 12S being permanent live, thank you. I'll either remove the fuse, or the battery, as I'm fairly clumsy and no stranger to shorting things out!!

Actually, we're having a solar panel fitted tomorrow, I'll ask the guy if he has anything laying around. That could be a very easy way out for me!

Fairly easy job. I did that on my last car.

Firstly, I drew up a table in excel (geek!) to show which wire in the N/S cables went to which terminal in the 13-pin socket. Biggest problem was threading both cables through the rubber grommet. Silicone spray made that easier.

Once done, I secured the cables together with self-amalgamating tape along their length so that they wouldn't flex/rub.

If you're not sure about doing it yourself, I had 12n/12s sockets converted to 13pin socket (September 2012) by a local tow bar fitter, (Bank Farm Trailers). It cost me about £50. (I'm too old to go crawling under cars, plus, no garage so I'd have to do it in the street outside the house).

Mike.

Edited by Townie
  • Like 1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Being under treatment for cancer at the moment, I have no interest in doing the job myself so I got the local Indespension to do it. The fitter given the job had only started that day and had not been trained! Instead of wiring the leads into the same socket he decided to do a 13 pin conversion. When I got home I dicovered that he had not fitted the waterproof boot or refitted the hook properly. A return visit the next day, plus a few irate comments saw the car back in the workshop! Two hours later and I had the manager telling me that the fitter had been a bit heavy handed and snapped the tailgate handle! I am now depressed.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

If that's the branch in Derby I'm not surprised.

The next time you need anything I'd strongly recommend Chris at Automech, he's not far from you.

http://www. automechmidlands. co. uk/

We're fairly unlikely to be pulling a trailer any time soon, so I don't mind buying a (yet another) converter to use afterwards to connect to a 7N plug if it's ever needed.

I tow various trailers with my 13pin equipped tug. I have modified the trailers (but not the caravan!) by removing the cable which normally goes to the socket and wiring it in to a 7 pin socket fixed to the trailer.

I have made up a cable to go between the tug and the trailer with a 13 pin plug on one end and a 7 pin plug on the other.

No bulky converter and the trailers are a little more "theft proof" because, unless the thief comes equipped, they will be towing a trailer with no lights and the cable is not exposed to the elements when not in use.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks all :)

I actually got this done yesterday.

I thought it would take half an Hour, but actually ended up taking half a day, what a faff!

Still, got there in the end, and, everything works.

Quite chuffed because the reverse wire was never connected in the car, so I cut into the loom and got that working as well.

Quick tip for anybody else doing this, do a dry run first, and cut the inner cables (1-4) shorter than the others. .. that would have made life a lot easier if I'd done it!

• Like 1

Quick tip for anybody else doing this, do a dry run first, and cut the inner cables (1-4) shorter than the others. .. that would have made life a lot easier if I'd done it!

I should have mentioned that earlier! ;)

Still, when I did mine, it finished up as a damn sight better job than whoever had wired up the N and S plugs originally. I didn't leave any loose strands or exposed wire, and unlike the hamfist, I tightened the terminal screws properly.

• Like 1

Well done Panter.

Good feeling when something like your job turns out well.

• Like 1

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em