How Can Improve Our Interior Lightings?

ericfield

We have a 2012 Swift and frankly find the lighting poor. The mixture of concealed and directional spot lighting is very bland, stark and unwelcoming.

I understand some might be changed to LED but from my home experience this tends to give a cooler light than normal incandescent . ..which might make matters worse in the caravan.

We would like to have a warm welcoming ambience and am unsure if just fitting warm LEDs will be sufficient. The spotlight units that seem to be standard in most caravans may give a clear directional light but are very crude. We wouldn't use them as room lighting. ..in the caravan or at home.

Short of taking a couple of table lamps to give bright defused yet nicer ambience I wonder if anyone has replaced their caravan lights to improve the all round lighting effect and if so, in what manner?

Edited by ericfield

Eric

We swapped out our led's to warm white rather than pure white and it made a vast difference. We also had an under surface led strip fitted which has made a big difference to general lighting.

We do still have a couple of cheap table lamps though. ..

It is worth going to have a look at some newer vans to see what is currently available. Our 2015 Sterling is all led and we find it to be well, if not over, lit. We never turn all the lights on at the same time so there is plenty of flexibility.

The changes over the past 4-5 years in caravan lighting have been quite significant.

I have seen several caravans with a "rope" of led lights around

the tops of the cupboards to provide ambient lighting.

Iidl do a small under cabinet led unit.

Agree. ..my Challenger light is pathetic even though we had a middle light fitted the complaint is that you cannot see the oven or hob controls. ....and the so called spotlights are useless.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

In our 2009 Sterling Europa (shames a Swift Charisma) we replaced the bulbs in the 4 spots in the lounge, first with a couple of cool white led's which we found too bright, then with a pair of warm white which we like. We therefore have 2 of each and use the ones we think are best for the task in hand. The centre ceiling lights were 20w halegon and these were also swapped for led's. We're happy with it all, but also use a led table lamp for playing cards and using the cribbage board.

Agree. ..my Challenger light is pathetic even though we had a middle light fitted the complaint is that you cannot see the oven or hob controls. ....and the so called spotlights are useless.

Geoff

We've got one of the lounge spots trained on the oven. It's a bit like a low budget broadcast of Masterchef.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will have to start replacing the lights with LEDs (one at a time to start with ) to see if I get the desired improvement

In our 2009 Sterling Europa (shames a Swift Charisma) we replaced the bulbs in the 4 spots in the lounge, first with a couple of cool white led's which we found too bright, then with a pair of warm white which we like. We therefore have 2 of each and use the ones we think are best for the task in hand. The centre ceiling lights were 20w halegon and these were also swapped for led's. We're happy with it all, but also use a led table lamp for playing cards and using the cribbage board.

How do those spotlights come apart to change the bulb?

How do those spotlights come apart to change the bulb?

There is a circliip retaining the blub. Look upwards into the light and you will see the 2 legs which can be gripped with a pair of snipe nose pliers (or even your fingers). The blub may just drop down or you may have ro wriggle it a bit.