Looking For A Small (And Hopefully Quiet) Site Near Toulouse

Help!

I'm planning a trip next year to take me from the pyrenees towards the Alps, maybe Italian Dolomites and then into Austria. Not worked out if I'll do Switzerland, France, U. K. Return or Germany way. It's all in the air but I'm desperately trying to find a site no further north or Toulouse for a few nights. It's really going to be a stopover site on my way to the Alps but I want it to be nice all the same. I don't mind if the site hasn't hit much (must have showers and toilet facilities), but it would be nice to be in a quiet area( away from motorway).

Does anyone who has been to that area have any suggestions?

I'm not really interested in heading to the med coast, I'm not that interested in being really close to Toulouse because of city visiting, it's just Toulouse looks like a sensible area to stop off after leaving the high pyrenees.

I would like to move on from there and head over the Millau bridge towards the Alps.

I seem to be able to find lots of what I like where I want to go but between the Pyrenees and Toulouse, I'm struggling!

Thank you all in advance

Rob

Oh, I should say that it will be late July when I'm in that area so understand I'll be hitting school holiday time, that's probably why I'd like a smaller site to stay on. It would be great to find something different, maybe in the grounds of somewhere but that's a big ask right now- just finding somewhere is hard enough!

I would recommend that you buy a copy of the FFCC 'Guide Officiel' Camping Caravaning. This is an excellent book for researching French campsites.

John. :)

Do not use Camping de la rupe Just on the northern edge of Toulouse. Worst French site we have ever been to!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

There are a few municipal campsites: Le Ramier, at Vernet just south of Toulouse, L'Orme Blanc at Caraman, north east of Toulouse, and just off the A68 (which is the route I would use up towards Millau) there is Les Auzerals, at Rabastens.

I wouldn't recomment Le Rupe, which has a poor reputation.

I have warm memories of the site at Rabastens which Val mentions - a sweet little site beside the lake in an agreeable position.

Ten years ago we were there and playing a Katie Melua CD when that was THE thing to do - very quietly one evening, but the Dutchman in the next caravan called out that he would give me a beer if I would please turn it louder for him to hear.

Thanks for these pointers- great!

One question- municipal sites? What do we mean by this? Is it frances own expression for small sites? Can you find them on the Internet or are they just turn up sites?

Thanks again!

Municipal sites are those owned and run by the local town or village council rather than by private owners - some sites are small and simple, some are large and elaborate, they include a wide range of facilities, and a wide range of prices. Some can be booked in advance, some don't need it.

There are still over 2000 of them, though privatisation is gathering pace.

Full list is on www,camping-municipal. org

Edited by moorgate

Many municipal sites don't have their own website - though the larger ones do. They vary a lot in size, and in professionalism of operation. One we stayed on this year didn't even have an honesty box for payment of fees, you just turned up, hooked up, and then (if you decided to be honest) walked into town to the Mairie during the times it was open, and paid your fees!

Usually they are very well situated for walking into a village for supplies/bars and restaurants, and these days many offer free WiFi too.

I stayed at the municipal site in Albi ( about 50 miles east of Toulouse ) some years back. It was basic but cheap and very clean and tidy.

I stayed at the municipal site in Albi ( about 50 miles east of Toulouse ) some years back. It was basic but cheap and very clean and tidy.

I think you will find that what used to be the municipal site in Albi is now very expensive and unsuitable for anything but small caravans due to the site layout. It is now called "Albirondack" and is mostly dedicated to static rental units. We stayed there in April, they charged us €30 per night for two people and two dogs and until we complained there were only two toilets and two showers open. With our 7 metre Hobby behind the Freelander we had a devil of a job manoeuvring in and out of our pitch.

I think you will find that what used to be the municipal site in Albi is now very expensive and unsuitable for anything but small caravans due to the site layout. It is now called "Albirondack" and is mostly dedicated to static rental units. We stayed there in April, they charged us €30 per night for two people and two dogs and until we complained there were only two toilets and two showers open. With our 7 metre Hobby behind the Freelander we had a devil of a job manoeuvring in and out of our pitch.

That's a shame. As I said it was some years ago