Motor Mover 2 Or 4 Wheel Drive

Durbanite

On a twin axle is it really worth paying the extra, in our case, it would be £600 more expensive for an all wheel drive motor mover? I like to think I am fairly good a reversing the caravan and rather try and do this where possible than faff about with the mover.

The majority of the time the mover is used for putting the caravan in storage and secondly when lining up the receiver for the ALKO lock. However as per another thread, pitches can be rather tight on many continental sites.

The main and what seems to be the only advantage of the all wheel drive mover seems to be that it can turn quicker. The main disadvantages are weight and secondly cost.

Opinions please. Thanks.

Hi Ian,,I've got a twin axle & I picked mine up from dealers yesterday after having the mover on just one axle & I had mine fitted for same reason as you,,I have no problems reversing its just for coupling/uncoupling & getting on drive with it & the one mover copes really good for what I need it for. I had the powrmover evolution with auto fitted.

Andy

I had a 2wd on a twin axle, 2200kg, and it always took about 3 shunts to get the van through 90 degrees to go down the side of the house and it sometimes needed a help on foreign sites in tight places.

Changed to a 4wd on the same van and it goes through the 90 degrees in one movement, first time I used it the OH was amazed when she opened the side door of the house and the van was already there.

Superb on rough ground and on slopes.

Had 4wd on the next van and the current one, all powrtouch evolution.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

We have a Reich 4WD mover on our 2000kg van.

Works very well.

Sometimes being idle, I will only engage the rear unit if intending to travel in more or less a straight line over non sloping ground.

Most of the time there is not a problem, the mover has the power, but when the tyres are wet or say muddy, then slippage occurs and both the front and rear units need to be engaged to get purchase between the rubber and steel rollers.

Specifically designed single units on similar weights may or may not display the same characteristics under the same conditions, I don't know.

What I have found is that in such wet or muddy conditions there is a need for as much roller/tyre contact pressure as possible particularly when performing tight manoeuvres.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

BTW if you have the 4wd drive and are using it on a grass pitch, does it still dig in as much when turning the caravan on the grass or does it ride smoothly over the grass without digging in?

Not used mine on grass DTIO.

Sometimes rips up really hot tarmac nicely. ;)

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

We're just changing vans and I spoke with our dealer on the very subject.

His honest view was if you are just trying to turn a little bit on hard surfaces then the 2wd will be fine, but if turning more than 90 degrees and/or on rough surfaces then 4wd is a must. If you go with 2wd it may need assistance to turn the van

A lot of sites in Spain have a high kerbstone and I found it difficult to get up when I had a single axle caravan with one mover, plus again when using levelling blocks. My new caravan has 4 movers and will climb anything, it will also swivel but plays havoc with the tyres.

Being heavy and long with no grab handles if I cannot get it in with the car I have no option but to use the movers, my recommendation is to have four set up to work together.

4 wheels for me.

My drive is on a slope and at times even the 4wd spins a bit.

Currently at Bath Marina & don't believe a 2wd would have got it on the pitch,full stop. (And reversing with car wouldn't have worked - had to to/from a couple of times with car alone to get it onto pitch alongside)

For me, not worth scrimping.

It also depends which axle you put the mover on,,I've got mine on the rear axle so if it starts spinning you can raise the jockey wheel slightly to put more weight on rear axle

Andy

BTW if you have the 4wd drive and are using it on a grass pitch, does it still dig in as much when turning the caravan on the grass or does it ride smoothly over the grass without digging in?

Not had any problems on grass but the jockey wheel does leave marks, I use a hard wheel as I found that the inflatable ones got pulled off the rim when used on a hard surface like my drive.

The 2wd Truma that I had was hard on jockey wheels because of the swaying movement that it uses when turning.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Your correct Purpleline movers can be upgraded with no extra bits and bobs!

AWD is the best system but start with a 2 drive system the new Titanium seems to turn well!

Thanks