Two Axles = Two Wheel Locks! Why?

bubble2015

Could someone please explain why twin axle vans are supposed to have two wheel locks?

If the lock prevents the wheel turning or being removed, why do we need two locks?

Thanks

Bubble,

I don't have a TA, but I think I read that the locked wheel can be deflated, thus allowing the van to be towed away on the other one.

John

• Like 1

Because by altering the hitch height the van can be moved on a single axle. And as Johnaldo said you can take the load off wheels by deflating.

Edited by JTQ

Could someone please explain why twin axle vans are supposed to have two wheel locks?

If the lock prevents the wheel turning or being removed, why do we need two locks?

Thanks

It is my considered opinion that if the wheel-lock was fitted to the rear axle then that is as secure as is ever likely to be the case .

If it was fitted to the front axle then it could be lifted and moved on the rear pair of wheels as if only a single axle item.

The caravan will simply not be moveable by towing or pushing it as all of the weight would then be on the nose and it would surely be impossible to hitch it and even begin to move it

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

(Engage smug mode)

Only partially related to the conversation, but I had both axles aligned today so I didn't have to jack the van to fit both locks. Only happens a couple of times a year. ....

• Like 1

I've normally got the jacks oops legs down before I remember the wheel locks, so I make to with the hitch lock . . yeah, I know not as secure, but if they want, they'll get it.

• Like 1

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

(Engage smug mode)

Only partially related to the conversation, but I had both axles aligned today so I didn't have to jack the van to fit both locks. Only happens a couple of times a year. ....

Yep. Great when everything lines up.

We immediately nip off and buy a lottery ticket. .......

Yep. Great when everything lines up.

We immediately nip off and buy a lottery ticket. .......

No point doing that . . you've already used up your allocation of luck B)

• Like 1

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I've normally got the jacks oops legs down before I remember the wheel locks, so I make to with the hitch lock . . yeah, I know not as secure, but if they want, they'll get it.

Does that not invalidate your Insurance, which would mean they get the van and you get nothing.

Edited by hp100425ev

Does that not invalidate your Insurance, which would mean they get the van and you get nothing.

But if the van has gone how does the insurance company know how many locks you had on your wheels. ? Unless they were there watching the thieves take it.

Andy.

But if the van has gone how does the insurance company know how many locks you had on your wheels. ? Unless they were there watching the thieves take it.

Andy.

A neighbours son had his twin axle stolen, and his insurance company wanted to see the damaged wheel locks that had been removed by the theives.

A neighbours son had his twin axle stolen, and his insurance company wanted to see the damaged wheel locks that had been removed by the theives.

Mmmm what happens if thieves take them,,does ins refuse to pay out. or they take rear lock off on twin axle then deflate tyre front axle would they use the excuses that you only had one lock on.

Andy

Edited by Tyrefitter

Thanks

Simple . Read your policy if it states two wheel clamps . Are you getting discount on your insurance.

I know my CC policy asks for 2 clamps on the same side .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Mmmm what happens if thieves take them,,does ins refuse to pay out.

Andy

I don't know, but I would be very surprised if theives did take them.

His were left there on the floor, as was the chain that was around one of the axles into a ground anchorage, and the hitchlock.

I don't know why alko can't put the receiver on the chassis centrally between both wheels, and make one single clamp that hooks through both wheels at the same time (maybe from behind). I am sure that there would be some way of making the clamp hinge/extend, to negate precise lining up of both wheels? There isn't much room between axles, so it would still be difficult to attack.

Having to jack up the caravan on often wet and uneven ground to put the locks on cannot be safe? I often wonder what damage it is causing to the caravan, given how flimsy the chassis is. Twisting it upwards in one direction is surely not good for future water ingress either??

I have decided to remove the discount from my insurance for this reason. I will try and align the wheels by reversing to accomodate one lock from now on, and either chain the other wheel to it, or use an Excalibur wheel lock on the other. Just hope that works!

Edited by Daveo69

Easy sorted, trip down to 'Reg the scrap' and get him to cut them up with his oxy saw for a fiver. ;)

• Like 1

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I have a BPW chassis and it is an entirely different concept, it also does not come with alko locks, I asked the insurance what they needed and bought them, they wanted two wheel locks, which they specified, but they are so quick and easy to fit and nothing needs lining up, that I wished I had had them on my old caravan.

Taking the pressure off one wheel cannot happen with BPW as both wheels remain on the ground no matter what you do.