Diesel Cars

stevew1

Just decided to change my 2008 Subaru Outback diesel for a brand new 65 reg 2015 Outback diesel.

Been to Stoke on Trent today to test drive one with 12 miles on the clock & absolutely loved it, especially with £5000 off the price, unheard of in Subaru circles . I am picking it up on Friday after they have fitted a towbar & sourced a spare wheel ( included in the price ) , why any manufacturer would not fit a spare to any car is beyond me but a supposed go anywhere off roader, unbelievable.

I'll post a description & review after I've done a few miles in it, I'll have to get a move on as I am due away in the van mid November, I'd like a few hundred miles on the car by then.

I've nailed my diesel colours to the mast, hope it doesn't fall over !!!.

You're not the only one, I swapped her 206 for a new Korando LE diesel in June. We will keep one petrol and one diesel as I often drive to London and there is speculation about the future. I would imagine that technology will find the answer rather than diesel being withdrawn forever as there are so many others that run on it.

You're not the only one, I swapped her 206 for a new Korando LE diesel in June. We will keep one petrol and one diesel as I often drive to London and there is speculation about the future. I would imagine that technology will find the answer rather than diesel being withdrawn forever as there are so many others that run on it.

At least 11 million VW drivers if the figures are to be believed. I think that before world opinion picks on diesel they ought to stop the mass burning of rain forests in SE Asia which causes massive pollution every year, add that to the South American burners & the size of the problem becomes clear.

Edited by stevew1

At least 11 million VW drivers if the figures are to be believed. I think that before world opinion picks on diesel they ought to stop the mass burning of rain forests in SE Asia which causes massive pollution every year, add that to the South American burners & the size of the problem becomes clear.

Diesel powered vehicles will be around for a while yet, due to its high energy content, its as simple as that. The VW scandal is very different and separate issue to the sustainability of diesel powered cars, even tough some on these forums think that that issue drives the way for the future of diesel.

Jiffy176 is correct to say that technology will keep diesel engines under our bonnets. There are various technologies including "Synthetic" fuel research that can reduce diesel emissions dramatically but nothing happens overnight.

Bosch have developed a system called BRS (Boost Recuperation System) basically its a poor mans Hybrid where the 24v alternator using a DC convertor assists engine on acceleration by adding torque, it also cuts in when coasting to keep momentum, all of this reduces fuel consumption and reduces NOx. What BRS capabilities of it being able to cope towing and its max tow (If any :( ) remains to be seen but the system was designed for smaller diesel engines such as the ones being fitted in new cars today, question is would BRS be any advantage if fitted to 2 litre diesels and plus.

http://www. bosch. co. uk/en/uk/newsroom_2/news_2/news-detail-page_69888. php

BRS_Broschuere_RZ_en. pdf

https://youtu. be/YGTb-SISLFI

Personally I think full electric vehicles are the answers, so the quicker they build theses new nuclear power stations the better and if you ever get the chance to road test a Tesla Model S P85D with its 0-60mph at 2. 8 secs, that would defiantly make your weekend, its even a pleasure to watch it accelerate let alone drive or be sat in it. I wonder if we will ever see a towbar on the Tesla X Crossover ;) . ..... Sorry I drifted there :rolleyes:

Enjoy your new Outback with its legal emission control devices and also the money you've saved on it, sounds like a great deal. B)

Edited by Silverback

As ever there will be a market for vehicles that offer value for the product you are getting.

The question at the moment is not whether technology can achieve the new emission levels but whether all that technology prices diesel out of the frame. Diesel cars need a leap in emission controls to pass the forthcoming WLTC "Real World" tests, that's why even current "Legal" diesels emit on average 5 times more than the legal test limit of NOx on the road.

Mazda has been the first to publicly say that Euro 6b test due 2017 at it's current 0. 08g/km level will mean for the vast majority of buyers that diesel will work out the more expensive option especially in the 2. 0 class and below. And that's not counting any increase in diesel taxation that may come.

Other manufacturers are staying quite but are pressing for a higher Euro 6b limit through their lobbying groups.

As ever time will tell when the new test come in and how the Government decides on how to meet it's legal obligation on NOx.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Enjoy your new Subaru - and ignore the doomsters predicting the imminent death of diesels.

I pushed ahead with the purchase of a new diesel after the EU test inadequacies became apparent - who cares if diesels get banned from cities, I wouldn't want to go into one anyway.

The next scandal will be that the DEF/Adblue used to deal with the NOx in LGVs and bigger car diesels is wrecking the planet because of all the electricity used in distilling the water that's 60+% of DEF/Adblue.

Time for bacon and sausages now, before they ban those!

Edited by Black Grouse

Enjoy your new Subaru - and ignore the doomsters predicting the imminent death of diesels.

I pushed ahead with the purchase of a new diesel after the EU test inadequacies became apparent - who cares if diesels get banned from cities, I wouldn't want to go into one anyway.

The next scandal will be that the DEF/Adblue used to deal with the NOx in LGVs and bigger car diesels is wrecking the planet because of all the electricity used in distilling the water that's 60+% of DEF/Adblue.

Time for bacon and sausages now, before they ban those!

So you are going to kill yourself eating processed meats LOL

It's less risky than living in the city where he never goes. :)

35000 die from Red Meat related Cancer, 250000 die from air pollution. ;)

Stay out of the cities and eat steak, less risky than being a veggie and living in a large town or city.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

I believe Deisel is made from what is left over from petrol. If that is true what wil they do with it. If we stopped eating everything they said was bad for we would die of starvation.

Les

I've been towing with VW cars for 25 years. I feel a bit let down over this issue, but I not going to beat myself up over it!

John.

I doubt it - my consumption of most things is "in moderation". The half-century of being a true petrol-head and breathing benzoles and lead hasn't done for me yet.

The big irony in public health debates is that those of us with a few issues have had much better health screening checks than the general population - I get a cancer marker test and full heart ECG every year, I know that I have virtually no arterial obstructions and I already know that my COPD/asthma which is likely to be my eventual cause of death (but not imminent!) is probably from genetic and historical prescription drug use rather than "environmental issues"

The Government has to submit it's plans for reducing NO2 and NOx by December 31st to the European Commission after it lost a court case earlier this year. It's currently breaching legal limits in 16 regions.

It may give us an insight into the future taxation of diesels, especially company benefit in kind tax which is CO2 based and favours diesel.

One of the recommendations from the court case was the following point.

48. The Government must drop its myopic focus on CO2 to the exclusion of other air pollutants. In particular, its approach to diesel has been a significant cause of poor quality in our biggest cities.

The next two years will be quite pivotal, taxation changes and the cost of meeting realistic emission standards will determine future diesel sales.

For me and my mileage diesel is a must have for my wife the petrol to diesel change over mileage was around 12k miles a year. If the cost of diesel cars increase and the taxation alters and the price differential moves to 16k miles a year then I'll swap back to petrol.

You aren't really taking any notice of that garbage are you.

Salt is bad, sugar is bad, and according to experts so is every food we eat.

The Government has to submit it's plans for reducing NO2 and NOx by December 31st to the European Commission after it lost a court case earlier this year. It's currently breaching legal limits in 16 regions.

It may give us an insight into the future taxation of diesels, especially company benefit in kind tax which is CO2 based and favours diesel.

One of the recommendations from the court case was the following point.

48. The Government must drop its myopic focus on CO2 to the exclusion of other air pollutants. In particular, its approach to diesel has been a significant cause of poor quality in our biggest cities.

The next two years will be quite pivotal, taxation changes and the cost of meeting realistic emission standards will determine future diesel sales.

For me and my mileage diesel is a must have for my wife the petrol to diesel change over mileage was around 12k miles a year. If the cost of diesel cars increase and the taxation alters and the price differential moves to 16k miles a year then I'll swap back to petrol.

Vauxhall ?

http://www. telegraph. co. uk/cars/vauxhall/news/dragged-into-emissions-scandal/

Dave

To me it looks more and more like all cars were required to pass a prescribed test, and the manufacturers have produced specific engine management software to do just that.

Reading the article it is common sense that the car will produce more drag or friction and will need to generate more power to move the rear undriven wheels, as opposed to just driving the front wheels.

My prediction is that there will be a massive push towards real world consumption figures and emissions, and this will all become a memory.

I shall stick with petrol but keep eating bacon. Both smell great.

BMW M135i - definitely not a tow carSubaru Outback 2. 5SE manual - a potential tow car, 2016 VW California 204 4motion could be a tow van

You aren't really taking any notice of that garbage are you.

Salt is bad, sugar is bad, and according to experts so is every food we eat.

Breathing is also bad for you. Might as well roll over and die now! Every few months a scientist will try and justify their high salary by producing figures to show that eating something causes cancer or some other horrible disease. If that doesn't work then it is onto the climate change agenda and condemning all sorts of modes of transportation. There have been so many scare stories, that I now ignore and are now of the opinion that when you time is up that is it. Not a second before nor a second after. Enjoy life in the meantime! :D

Breathing is also bad for you. Might as well roll over and die now! Every few months a scientist will try and justify their high salary by producing figures to show that eating something causes cancer or some other horrible disease. If that doesn't work then it is onto the climate change agenda and condemning all sorts of modes of transportation. There have been so many scare stories, that I now ignore and are now of the opinion that when you time is up that is it. Not a second before nor a second after. Enjoy life in the meantime! :D

We are on this earth for a good time, not a long time.

Enjoy every minute as if it is going to be your last, because one day it will be ;)

Can't you see it was posted as a joke

My humour is part Japanese, so no I didn't, but then you probably don't get the Japanese humour. :)

There is no doubt that if one stopped eating and drinking everything said to be carcinogenic you would be a long time dead before the effects of diesel gasses and particulates cause your ill health, probably of starvation :)

I've been towing with VW cars for 25 years. I feel a bit let down over this issue, but I not going to beat myself up over it!

John.

Well I wouldn't, if fact I would be making enquiries re compensation.

What I have deciphered is this;

There has never been a better time to buy a big petrol engined car/truck (preferably V8)!

BMW M135i - definitely not a tow carSubaru Outback 2. 5SE manual - a potential tow car, 2016 VW California 204 4motion could be a tow van