Pursuit 430-4 Wheel Arches

udloko

Out in the 430-4 at the moment. Last night we had the heating on so the van was nice and cosy as it was quite cold outside. This morning when I got my boots out of the under bed locker I noticed one boot was wet. When I ran my hand over the floor I picked up water (not a lot but definately there.). I lifted the bed and found the interior side of the wheel arch was covered in condensation. My last caravan had a foam type lagging around the wheel arch but obvioulsy the Pursuit hasnt and the wheel arches are just plastic. Had a look at the other side in the wardrobe and that seemed ok possibly because the wardrobe is acting like a barrier. Just wondering if any one else has noticed this.

I have covered the wheel arch with a bit of carpet just to lag it until I can do a better job.

Maybe worth checking out any winter Orion/Pursuit owners.

Pursuit is a year old and there has never been any polystyrene. Even under the cooker and wardrobe no polystyrene. Maybe I should check with Bailey or the dealership.

My Orion has got polystyrene. They keep splitting but that's another issue. Cost cutting maybe?

Pursuit is a year old and there has never been any polystyrene. Even under the cooker and wardrobe no polystyrene. Maybe I should check with Bailey or the dealership.

I should think it's part of the package to get its grade (whatever number it is) insulation stamp. I'm sure if you check, they will find that they have forgotten to install them. The heat loss there otherwise would be quite considerable!

Polystyrene covers on mine too!

I will inspect mine in the morning and report back! Would do it now, but Lizzie is in bed asleep!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Well there is no insulation on our near side wheel,arch that us under the fixed bed!

Will have to sort something out!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thanks PR1 for looking. Ill have to sort something out also.

When we get home in about ten days time I will be straight round to the dealers, we live 400yds from them to find a solution!

Will keep you updated!

Paul

Hi. I have had my Pursuit 430-4 since last December and I noticed the wet around the floor near the wheel arch under the fixed bed. It went back to the dealer who adjusted the under bed locker door, same problem.

I spent some time investigating and came to the conclusion that it was condensation, I bought some B&Q insulation and applied several layers to the wheel arch - Condensation has disappeared, no damp floor.

The wheel arch in the wardrobe has the benefit of being heated by the heater pipe running through to the loo area.

We love our Pursuit Platinum 430-4 despite it being an entry level caravan.

A few mods:- extra 240v sockets, an extra one next to the TV point, one high up by the offside radio speaker and another high up by the top shelf opposite the fixed bed. An external TV point

Hi,

You shouldn't have to lag a BASIC design fault. Some one at Bailey has decided to leave this lagging box out of the design. It is obvious that a lack of lagging here will cause condensation and maybe damp in the long term. The pursuit might be an entry level caravan but condensation under the bed through no insulation should not be in a cost cutting exercise, If you wanted to save on costs I can think of less damaging things to omit.

regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Resolved,

Polystyrene covers now fitted. Thanks for all your help and comments.

It is good to read that this problem has been resolved, however I agree with the comments that there are other less important things that could be omitted if the lack of lagging is a cost cutting exercise.

There has always been insulation of some sort, on even the most basic caravans we have owned. This has often been made from an off-cut of the carpet used for the floor, so as far as the manufacturer is concerned this would be a no-cost addition, apart from the time it takes an employee to stick it in place.

Repairing a rotted floor is no fun, so whether or not to fit a few pence worth of insulation during production has to be a bit of a no-brainer. Could this be another case of the "bean-counters" adversely affecting a caravan design I wonder, or the designers simply not expecting the caravan to be used all year?

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.