Oh No Damp Detected

sootyvandriver

Well I guess its my turn, Just been to get My Orion 430/4 back from its 3 year service and damp has been detected in the washroom floor. Just got to wait for approval from Bailey for the repair now. Thank goodness the servicing is up to date.

Dissapointed really, the caravan has been under cover through the winters so far, I am wondering if there has been a toilet flush water leak.

To date all the 5 caravans I have owned have leaked. I dont mind so much the older ones but two have leaked before 3 years old. :(

Sooty

Ours has literally just come back (see my post shoddy workmanship) exactly the same, third service and damp washroom floor. It was the shower tray not sealed properly that had soaked floor. No ingress from outside. Took approx 3 weeks to sort out but that included a new front window as well. Seems to be a common one, the pursuit seems to be having the same issue. I wouldn't be too concerned if I was you, ours came back good as new apart from the sealant. I know how you feel though, it's not nice. Just have a good look at the sealant when it comes back and I plan on periodically checking it from now on. Better to reseal before it happens again.

Thanks BaileyOrion, I have already had a replacement front window this year. I can only hope for a quality repair and the source of the damp to be eliminated. I had hoped to keep this caravan for a good few years so fingers crossed.

sooty

Same as me. I love the van and put it down to teething problems. At least if all the weak points get sorted under warranty I know what to look out for when I do it myself in a few years.

How do you find the Orion? It's not too everyone's taste with the size being such a compromise. It amazes me how they got it all in and still made it feel bigger than some of the other models.

We love the caravan, yes their are some compromises, I find the washroom a tad tight ( I am a big bloke though) and the small gap between the oven and bed a little irritating, as is access to the wardrobe. We only use the caravan as a two berth and to be fair all caravans have some compromises. Initially I was concerned that the fittings and fixtures were a little fragile but it is standing up to wear and tear quite well to date.

I have added motor mover, solar panel, led lighting and a modification to allow the small table to extend the lenght of the dinette worktop, which works well.

I agree that its a very good caravan especially for the price, and how so much is put into such a small space is amazing.

I was surprised it had such a short production run though, I thought bailey were on to a winner with this design, but the persuit is pretty much the same caravan from what I have seen. I guess its a bit querky, but then I quite like querky. :)

I think the exterior is future proof. As currant designs get old ours will still be out of the ordinary. Weirdly I find the washroom quite big but our last one was a combined toilet/shower and that was unusable.

I reversed the wardrobe door, that's helps a bit. We have also done the leds and motor mover.

Shock absorbers helped the towing a lot, got rid of the bounce. I also re arranged the heater ducts to give 4 in the living area, one in the washroom and the intake is moved to the washroom to cut down on noise. I swapped the 12v socket with the heater spur and wired in the voltmeter light to the awning light so it doesn't keep us up. Also acts as a reminder to turn off awning light.

Only other thing we did was upgrade the water pump to a high flow. Helps with shower.

Have you found the little cubby holes in front of the under seat storage?

I have wondered about shock absorbers myself, though I find the caravan tows well with our mondeo mk 4.

You have me wondering about the heater ducts, I think mine has only one in the washroom and two in the living area, did they change the system at some point?

One thing I find is the heater cuts out on the stat and it takes a significant drop in temperature to cut in again. I have tried to resolve this through Bailey but never did any good.

I think mine was supplied with a high flow pump at the time of purchase.

The cubby holes at the front dont get used much, only the two of us normally. But I keep a few things in there that rarely get used. Plus its a good place to hide any valuables away.

One thing I notice from your profile picture, are you using a roll out canopy? I am considering one. I hate awnings.

My honest advice is don't do it. It was fitted when we got it and although it is very good, it means we can't fit a full size awning. We use a porch awning more. It makes an awesome sun canopy or bbq rain shelter but makes a horrible noise of left up overnight in the wind.

It has its uses and if you don't use an awning then go for it. Or if you don't mind being restricted to a porch awning.

I am planning on taking it off. If i do you can have it for whatever it costs to me to have it taken off.

Don't get me wrong it's a well made bit of kit and has its uses but think very carefully.

Okay, that's not what I wanted to hear really. I have two awnings, 1 full size, and a small porch awning. I have only ever used the porch awning. I have seen canopies in use and they seem a good idea. I thought the weight might be an issue but I had not considered the problem with wind. Problem is I lose the will to live by the time I have an awning out the bag. :( Drop me a message if you do have it removed though.

Sooty

Will do. I'm still deciding at the moment.

Don't let me put you off. They are good but in my opinion of limited use. What about a canopy in a bag type that can be removed when not needed?