Ford Mondeo Mk4 Hatchback

steverav1

hi guys

what weights are you towing with your ford mondeo mk4 hatchbacks do you have any issues towing big weights with them have you uprated rear suspension etc

cheers

steve

Only 1350kg MTPLM, but glad of the 90kg nose weight.

Yes, especially when it empty, like going for service. It nose heavy with water heater right at the front, heater also under front seat, and battery and fridge both forward of axle.

1450kg and it tows superbly. Nose weight on my van is 75, that was how I set it with the Mk3 Mondeo and I have left it like that. My car is bog standard Titanium 140 and it tows with the car level, no suspension aids.

bill

have you a pic of the van hitched up my mondeo the tyres are well into the wheel wells (sagged) think my shockers have gone also back of car moves a lot very squirmy

steve

I'd had problems with the suspension on my Toyota so I went for the Mondeo estate, no problems, but like Bill I have the hitch at about 75ish for no other reason than it tows well.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Apart from factory fitted options (metallic paint, parking sensors, detachable towbar) mine is a standard Zetec 140 and it tows with the car level, no suspension aids.

Rear of car definitely never been "squirmy". Sorry, I haven't got any pics of it hitched. .

Just passed MOT so I guess shocks are still OK!

Only time I have had a car which `felt squirmy` when towing was when I hadn`t inflated the rear tyres to the manufacturers limits for a full load, even when towing with cars like Pug 405/406`s which had very soft (but not soggy) suspension.

bill

have you a pic of the van hitched up my mondeo the tyres are well into the wheel wells (sagged) think my shockers have gone also back of car moves a lot very squirmy

steve

If it's the same as my smax you need to pump the tyres up to the max plus another 3psi in the rear. This equates 48 psi in the rear and 38 in the front.

Depending on how loaded the boot is it can sit a bit low but never squirmy.

Mike

bill

steve

No but will take one when next hitched up. Not likely till Easter though.

Tow with a 163 Estate running 19" rims and sports suspension

Never had an issue, always rock solid, tows pretty level

If it's the same as my smax you need to pump the tyres up to the max plus another 3psi in the rear. This equates 48 psi in the rear and 38 in the front.

Depending on how loaded the boot is it can sit a bit low but never squirmy.

Mike

I'm intrigued, my 2. 0Tdci Titanium (2009) has pulled my 1600kg van with a 85kg noseweight all over the UK, sits dead level and I just inflate the tyres to halfway between lightly loaded and fully loaded (35 front, 42 rear)

Even when we take the grandkids with all their clobber I only put it up to the recommended maximums.

I'm just hoping that my new S-max is as good

post-11298-0-27074700-1445954727_thumb.jpg

Edited by matelodave

just wondered if tyres could also be a issue i have a set of landsail on the rear could they not be helping matters eather? are you guys running premium brand tyres

I tend towards Goodyear and the S-Max has reinforced tyres as it has quite a high load carrying capacity. GVW is around 2. 5 tonnes so they might be a bit stiffer than lower spec'd tyres

Over many years of driving I've found that cheaper tyres don't usually last as long as up market brands

I'm intrigued, my 2. 0Tdci Titanium (2009) has pulled my 1600kg van with a 85kg noseweight all over the UK, sits dead level and I just inflate the tyres to halfway between lightly loaded and fully loaded (35 front, 42 rear)

Even when we take the grandkids with all their clobber I only put it up to the recommended maximums.

I'm just hoping that my new S-max is as good

Attached shows at Dover loaded to the gunnels with a full boot, 3 kids, bikes on the roof and nose weight at about 90ish KG's!

Always as steady as a rock but it can sit down on its hunches when loaded up in the boot, even without the van on the back.

Hope the new one is ok, as I think the suspension is even softer on the new ones. post-36078-0-19227700-1445986526_thumb.jpeg

just wondered if tyres could also be a issue i have a set of landsail on the rear could they not be helping matters eather? are you guys running premium brand tyres

Running on Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance which are also rated as 'extra load'

Hi Steverav1, I'm pulling 1485kg with around a 80kg nose weight with a 2010 Mondeo.

I don't have any issues towing, I do prefer to have all heavy items in the caravan over axle and keep light stuff in boot of car it just feels better balanced.

A pic of my setup.

post-63974-0-64622200-1445988533_thumb.jpg

Edited by brotherdeal

Steve - I changed from continental to Michelin on an old e class, and it became unsafe towing with it. Swapped front to back and the handling was sorted again, so definitely could be a contributory factor.

Have you checked the sidewall strength and speed rating?

I now only stick to the manufacturers original tyres as it eradicates a potential issue

IMO Budget and even mid-range tyres are a complete false economy

They don't tend to wear well, wet grip is sketchy at best, increased road noise etc etc

Currently have Bridgestone Potenza's on my Mondy

IMO Budget and even mid-range tyres are a complete false economy

They don't tend to wear well, wet grip is sketchy at best, increased road noise etc etc

Currently have Bridgestone Potenza's on my Mondy

I would beg to differ. I drove my last Mondeo on Hankook Ventus Primes and they were better than the Goodyears they were original fitment, the front tyres managed 29000 miles and the rears managed 35000. I replaced the Goodyears on my present Mondeo with Apollo ( the company that own Vredstein ) Aspire4g Y rated and extra load, very quiet and superb grip much better than the Goodyear that were original fitting. When I rang Event tyres to ask what they would recommend these were what they suggested, when asked to compare with tyres costing twice as much they said that they were better, and so they have proved to be. 14000 miles later they are showing little signs of wear and tread depth has fallen by 1mm.

If you go to the tyre review sites, the Hankook tyres always feature well

This time last week I said that I prefer premium tyres, today I've been talked into buying some cheap ones for the back of my Mondeo. ....I blame Bill :lol:

A pair of extra load Capturar Gremax :blink: (never heard of them) and change from £100. .......they must be good :unsure:

Anyway we'll see

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

This time last week I said that I prefer premium tyres, today I've been talked into buying some cheap ones for the back of my Mondeo. ....I blame Bill :lol:

A pair of extra load Capturar Gremax :blink: (never heard of them) and change from £100. .......they must be good :unsure:

Anyway we'll see

They are seriously cheap. I paid £76 each for the Apollos, and only chose those because they were the only significantly quiet tyres with other good ratings that were available. The Vredsteins I asked about were on long delivery and I needed tyres. Having said that they have not disappointed. Mind you I am not a boy racer, I think too much of my passengers to try to throw the cars round corners at the limit of adhesion, and generally do not abuse either my car or my tyres.

I would beg to differ. I drove my last Mondeo on Hankook Ventus Primes and they were better than the Goodyears they were original fitment, the front tyres managed 29000 miles and the rears managed 35000. I replaced the Goodyears on my present Mondeo with Apollo ( the company that own Vredstein ) Aspire4g Y rated and extra load, very quiet and superb grip much better than the Goodyear that were original fitting. When I rang Event tyres to ask what they would recommend these were what they suggested, when asked to compare with tyres costing twice as much they said that they were better, and so they have proved to be. 14000 miles later they are showing little signs of wear and tread depth has fallen by 1mm.

If you go to the tyre review sites, the Hankook tyres always feature well

VAG now fit Hankook as OEM fitment on some models.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

VAG now fit Hankook as OEM fitment on some models.

You beat me to it Lee. Wife has a mk7 golf and that has hankook tyres fitted from the factory. They drive perfectly.

I think there is a difference between brands, but I definitely wouldn't go cheapie cheapie

bill

steve

This might be of interest, regarding wheel alignment.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/111158-wheel-alignment/