Thinking Of Getting A Hobby

Pavb2

Hi all I've also posted on the Hobby owners forum.

At the moment I've got a 4 berth Swift Sprite, the nature of my job means I use it on a seasonal pitch two or three weeks per month.

So as I spend so much time in it I thought I would like more space and upgrade to a hobby with fixed bed and side dinette, not too bothered about size of toilet shower.

I don't envisage towing the caravan much, probably about 2 or 3 times per year if that, so what are my options. I will buy second hand something from 2011 onwards the 645/650 seems ideal.

I've been to Billy in Leics and looked at Ambergate, Dunstable and Annan on the web so can anyone offer any advice on the best models and places to purchase. Is it cost effective to buy from say Belgium or Germany once you factor in transport costs though I suppose you would have more choice.

Any advice Much appreciated

Without knowing the exact model of your car, but looking at various possible ranges of BMW your car will be too light to tow a big Hobby, so if you want a 645/650 you will have to look at upgrading your car to a heavier one and depending on your licence limits, taking the B+E and even obtaining a Cat C licence.

Also, depending on body length of your proposed van(over 7 mtrs body length) you may have to look at a vehicle with a GVW of 3501Kg or more to legally tow it.

Take up Bird Watching, its cheaper !!!!! ;)

You got to look the part. Good binoculars start at £1000, then there is the scope which for something worthwhile budget £1500, then there is the camera and long prime lens, pro camera £1800 and matching long prime £3500 plus of course you need two of everything so the wife can come along. Add that lot up and it is not cheap.

I don't plan on towing with my car I can get a friend to move the caravan if I ever need to.

Not all sites allow Hobby's on them - especially the bigger ones as they tend to be favoured by some of the less than desirable elements of society who turn up mob handed and take over.

I know about the problems with some sites and Hobby's the sites I use do take them.

Edited by Pavb2

I'm buying a new Tabbert in Germany, and have previously bought a T@B in Holland. It's perfectly easy to do and cheaper than buying here. As a rule of thumb, any price here in £ is likely to be the € equivalent there, so about a 30% saving. It definitely helps if you speak German if buying in Germany, but you're bound to find a dealer who has someone who speaks English quite well - the bigger dealers are used to travellers buying from them and are keen to do business.

You will need to change the sockets over (very easy to do, as the manufacturers, Berker, do a 3 pin socket that you simply slot in yourself) and switch to a bulkhead mounted gas bottle regulator. That is pretty much it: as long as you're not a commercial importer you don't need to worry about UK soft furnishings regulations (which oddly apply to caravans, but not to motorhomes). German vans nowadays have 12V lighting and hot water as standard, which they didn't as late as the 1990s. Don't necessarily expect an oven/grill though - if you want one of the (fairly useless) things, they can easily be retro-fitted, particularly easily in Hobbys who offer it as a factory optional extra and so have a cupboard perfectly designed to take the SMEV 20 litre model.

Hobby are great vans: my parents had four in a row when I was growing up from 1982 onwards. We found them to be great quality, watertight and really nicely designed. I'd say they are definitely a step up on Swift. If you are buying in the UK go to Hobby UK in Ambergate, or just do an online search for used Hobby caravans - there are plenty about and you won't need to worry about the socket and regulator changes as these should be taken care of already.

Come to Wakefield,we have a field full of Hobbys about half a mile away,I'll say no more.

Ian

I'm surprised at your comment regarding ' field full of Hobby's' which I assume is an emphasis on travellers vans. Nowadays most travellers use English vans. ...