Sign in to follow this  
perksm

From My Dashcam Friday Morning...

Total plonker IMO gives caravaners a bad name.

As for 80 mph on a motorway well it's the norm nowadays you just have to live with it.

I have a car that could easily tow at 80 but I'd never dream in doing it, as for the third lane even solo I'm seldom in it.

I prefer to go with the flow and arrive alive.

Hi Coachman. My sentiments entirely I think that this driver wants reporting to the police that patrol the M40 and given some serious lessons in 'The Dynamics of Towing' a CT member (Simon Barlow) wrote a very informative and eye opening article about it some years ago.

As for 80mph being the norm MAYBE but not towing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for your final line,does this idiot have any regard for those that could be potentially drawn into the mayhem if/when something goes seriously wrong ?

Funny. I took it that he thought that some on here were "doing the same thing"

That was my impression as well!

knarf

That was my impression as well!

knarf

Your impression was correct as sadlyt some posters came across as if they were condoning the actions of the mad caravanner while having a go at the OP for daring to raise the issue unless I misunderstood their posts.

Quote"what would appear to be 30 mph above the speed limit, towing a caravan in lane three."

I didn't realise he was doing 90mph+!

There was a discussion on here a while ago about towing speeds in France where some members appeared to be saying that the 60MPH limit in the UK was unrealistic and they frequently towed at speeds considerably faster than the UK limit and quoted the French speed limit of 85mph for towing up to 3500Kg as reasonable!

knarf

Edited by KNARF

I don't condone either speeding or travelling in lane 3 however the reason for banning towers and lorries from lane 3 was to stop the motorway being blocked by a 60mph traffic jam instead of a 70mph one, our high speed tower doesn't seem guilty of that.

There are many that state speeding is illegal and they don't speed, but it seems many can when they have the most feeble excuse.

Like most I occasionally do both, solo and towing mostly for expediency to overtake a vehicle that slows excessively for bends and then accelerates to the legal limit. That is my excuse and I will stick to it, I don't tow at 70mph due to the fact my car tends to drink fuel at expensive rate but have been known to do so on autoroutes to achieve my destination to check in rather than park in the waiting areas

Your impression was correct as sadlyt some posters came across as if they were condoning the actions of the mad caravanner while having a go at the OP for daring to raise the issue unless I misunderstood their posts.

I don't think I saw anyone condoning it. I did see some people who were a little less outraged than others, but I don't think that's quite the same.

Still others (like me), wanted some information that just isn't available (like how fast was he actually going). I wonder how much the outrage with reduce if the driver had been doing 70mph?

As said before the tow car was a clapped out Mk1 Mondeo with known suspension defects, stated in the report. Probably used because it was cheap and no real cost if written off.

If I remember rightly, in the case in question, the threshold speed was closer to 50mph than 60mph. As mathematical model simulation confirmed the results of the actual road tests, there is no reason to suppose that the threshold speed for a modern outfit in good technical order would be significantly in excess of 60mph. The math models would certainly have made no allowance for the condition of the suspension. The fact that German legal weight ratio limits also only allow 100km/h under most favourable circumstances would tend to confirm Bath University's findings. I would imagine that the Germans also conducted thorough investigations before coming to the same conclusion and that the 100km/h limit is not arbitrary.

Edited by Lutz

I don't think I saw anyone condoning it. I did see some people who were a little less outraged than others, but I don't think that's quite the same.

Still others (like me), wanted some information that just isn't available (like how fast was he actually going). I wonder how much the outrage with reduce if the driver had been doing 70mph?

Not a bit. ;) Those who are outraged at 80 will be equally outraged at 61. And those who are outraged at 3rd lane use will remain suitably apoplectic.

Sometimes I think I should be more outraged, my reaction of tsk tsk, silly boy seems inadequate.

• Like 1

. I would imagine that the Germans also conducted thorough investigations before coming to the same conclusion and that the 100km/h limit is not arbitrary.

Although it is a nice round number. ;)

• Like 1

If I remember rightly, in the case in question, the threshold speed was closer to 50mph than 60mph. As mathematical model simulation confirmed the results of the actual road tests, there is no reason to suppose that the threshold speed for a modern outfit in good technical order would be significantly in excess of 60mph. The math models would certainly have made no allowance for the condition of the suspension. The fact that German legal weight ratio limits also only allow 100km/h under most favourable circumstances would tend to confirm Bath University's findings. I would imagine that the Germans also conducted thorough investigations before coming to the same conclusion and that the 100km/h limit is not arbitrary.

You imagine far to much Lutz :)

I did think it looked poorly loaded, quite nose heavy. Was being driven by a bloke with white hair and the woman in the passenger seat had her nose in her phone, Ignoring him. My other half would have been screaming in my ear :lol:

It's hard to say how fast he was actually going. It's true that the cruise on my van will run off the speed sensor on the gearbox and thus 68 is probably 62-3 on the motorway. I guess the answer is that he was travelling too fast for his outfit and that;s all we can say for certain. Hopefully new caravanners on this forum will be able to learn a little of what not to do when towing and take that experience with them when they tow. Seems the merc driver got away with it this time as I didn't come across the accident further on. But it could have so easily have been a different story. ..

Not sure what all the fuss is about, not like they are a cyclist. :D Or maybe they are.

• Like 1

Although it is a nice round number. ;)

Yes, it is. Maybe the test result concluded that 95 or 105km/h was appropriate and it was rounded up or down accordingly. There is little point in in being doctrinaire about it.

You imagine far to much Lutz :)

What evidence have you got to arrive at that conclusion? After all, the weight ratio limit for the 100km/h concession was raised from 80% to 100% a few years back, based on data at hand so that surely indicates that the decision was not arbitrary.

Yes, it is. Maybe the test result concluded that 95 or 105km/h was appropriate and it was rounded up or down accordingly. There is little point in in being doctrinaire about it.

What evidence have you got to arrive at that conclusion? After all, the weight ratio limit for the 100km/h concession was raised from 80% to 100% a few years back, based on data at hand so that surely indicates that the decision was not arbitrary.

No, all it proves is there was a consensus to raise the limit and it was grudgingly given based on improvements to both vehicles and vans with certain fittings based on design and manufacturing improvements and collecting more revenue in the process. :)

I have read in a few topics, including this one, that towing much faster than is the norm here is common place in France.

In my experience I think both nations tow at very similar speeds.

I tend to pull at just under 60 (by GPS). and I occasionally get past by outfits both here and in France. Some OK, others just silly, like the OP's example.

Only ever seen 2 in the third lane though. Quite a few with various trailers and once a skip lorry with rubbish coming out and blue flashing lights behind it.

John

No, all it proves is there was a consensus to raise the limit and it was grudgingly given based on improvements to both vehicles and vans with certain fittings based on design and manufacturing improvements and collecting more revenue in the process. :)

That's not correct because there was no change to the so-called 'improvements' which must be fitted as a condition to obtaining 100km/h approval. The same requirements applied throughout. Without the 'improvements' the 80km/h speed limit continues to apply regardless of the weight ratio.

Edited by Lutz

It's hard to say how fast he was actually going. It's true that the cruise on my van will run off the speed sensor on the gearbox and thus 68 is probably 62-3 on the motorway. I guess the answer is that he was travelling too fast for his outfit and that;s all we can say for certain. Hopefully new caravanners on this forum will be able to learn a little of what not to do when towing and take that experience with them when they tow. Seems the merc driver got away with it this time as I didn't come across the accident further on. But it could have so easily have been a different story. ..

Apparently I have used my quota of likes for the day, so you'll have to settle for a manual "like'

I am surprised and amused by the Police should prosecute him/her brigade. Given the huge cuts over the last five years I am fairly confident he won't be a high priority given he hasn't actually caused an accident yet.

Not that I am saying they are correct, I was surprised how it didn't turn over and disintegrate given the wobbling and the driver is a fool at best.

I do however have to say that when traffic Police are cut to the bone or abolished then what do we expect?

• Like 3

Great aint it? 80mph, 3rd lane, rocking all over the shop. ....

try this one from a few weeks back from my cam's. ..

Best shown in HD. .. :)

ps. Hope it works!

I'm surprised that we've had so little comment on this joker. ... Both drivers are completely and utterly in the wrong. Van should not be pushing, but it's not going to take more than 5 seconds of the caravanner life to let the van get on with it.

I think our cars now inure us to the realities of the speeds at which we travel. Sitting in a car doing 80+ doesn't seem so bad. However,standing on a motorway bridge looking down on traffic at speed you gain a real perspective of what speed means. Just one car to pull out without using its mirrors,one car to do an emergency brake,one truck to shed part of its load,one blowout. ..... etc.

As for towing at those speeds,let alone using the third lane. ..words fail me. Maybe some people just have no imagination?

• Like 5

I do however have to say that when traffic Police are cut to the bone or abolished then what do we expect?

More and more cameras. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'll stick to my boring 60mph thanks. Well, 56mph now I have my cruise control. The idiots can get on with it. I arrive a little later, but in a relaxed and calm state. Not sweating and having done little for my overall well being. I also have the advantage of not driving as quickly into hazards. I think this driver should be prosecuted for the total disregard he showed for other road users. Perhaps a charge of Dangerous Driving or at the very least, due care and attention could be added to this idiot's rapidly expanding charge sheet!

• Like 5

More and more cameras. :rolleyes:

. . . and less and less discretion, with more and more drivers feeling unfairly treated . . .

A while ago I had the audacity to accelerate out of a 30mph zone on a dual carriageway fractionally too soon. There were no other vehicles around, and my camera-generated-ticket stated 33 mph! My actions were neither dangerous or inconsiderate, and of course the previous miles travelling at 20-25 mph in the 30 mph zone had no bearing on my punishment. I had crossed an inflexible line was made to pay for it.

Gordon.

Of course what everyone seems to have totally missed about this whole incident is that the Merc driver has absolutely nothing at all to worry about does he?? :D

We ALL know that accidents/incidents/disasters ALWAYS happen to other people. Dont they?? ;);););)

In my many years i found that you could criticise a mans ability with women/DIY/decorating/public speaking/choice of clothes etc etc and he will accept it without question.

Criticise their driving and you are into a WHOLE new area of grief.

My concerns with the driver in the original video are related almost entirely to the rigs speed REGARDLESS of what lane it is in.

80+ whilst towing a large caravan in ANY lane is a cause for concern,

50mph in the outside lane of any road that "has three lanes or more" is, in my view, far LESS dangerous (but certainly still not lawful.

Sadly these sorts of idiots CAUSE a lot of collisions/ incidents but are often NOT actually involved in them so are blissfully unaware of the consequences of their stupid actions. Think of said numpty getting a "tank slapper" on a busy motorway, following driver thinks **** (insert any word you wish but NOT a swear word disguised or otherwise :P ) brakes and swerves into another lane, this causes a following driver to do likewise and then the domino effect takes over. Multi vehicle crash that does NOT involve the principal causation vehicle!!! Happens all the time.

With a bit of luck this idiot will do the same on a deserted motorway at night, push his speed a bit higher still because he feels "its safe to do so" get a serious snake on and end up with his caravan in kit form across three lanes (and his car wrecked) without involving/inconveniencing anyone else. We can but hope eh???

Sadly due to the drastic cut in Traffic Police these sort of drivers dont get pulled over (because there is no-one out there to see them and have the "friendly words of advice" ) Fixed cameras are totally useless at detecting these sort of actions, along with tailgating/mobile phone using/dodgy overtaking/crossing of solid white lines etc etc but the politicians choose not to accept it, continualy cut budgets and THEN have the temerity to complain about the rise is serious road crashes.

"None so blind as those who choose not to see?"

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 6

Sign in to follow this