Sign in to follow this  
perksm

From My Dashcam Friday Morning...

I think I'd let go of my bowels if I ever got up to 80!

That guy needs prosecuting

HERE HERE. Thank you milkymarsh. Unfortunately it is not a very clear registration plate but I am sure that M40 cameras could identify the outfit either just before or just after that corrected time-log.

He was in lane 3 at one point and I followed him 'cos I was curious as to his actual speed. He was doing 80+ . I got up to 80 and then backed off. I rarely speed, preferring to set the cruise at around 65 ish and watching all the loonies whizz by. But on this occasion I needed to know

• Like 1

So you're complaining about him breaking the law whilst freely admitting you did the same?

Typical comment

• Like 7

It really wasn't a big deal IMO.

• Like 1

He was in lane 3 at one point and I followed him 'cos I was curious as to his actual speed. He was doing 80+ . I got up to 80 and then backed off. I rarely speed, preferring to set the cruise at around 65 ish and watching all the loonies whizz by. But on this occasion I needed to know

Ah, so you are the one that causes the hold ups?

Get your satnav out and check your speed. Withe cruise set at 65 you are likely only doing 61-62 - which these days is not fast enough to be in lane 2 even!

• Like 1

Imagine being swiped by that if it starts to go.

To be expected with so many cuts to the Police forces and I imagine we'll see more and more and the cuts get deeper and less cops actually out there stopping and prosecuting these idiots.

Ah, so you are the one that causes the hold ups?

Get your satnav out and check your speed. Withe cruise set at 65 you are likely only doing 61-62 - which these days is not fast enough to be in lane 2 even!

When towing I don't even rely upon the 'factor' of speedo error. I've got 2 kids in the car, so do what I need to do to stay safe, and if that means sticking to 60 then that's what I'll be driving st whilst towing.

If you ever get 'stuck' behind me, I'd like to apologise in advance 😀

• Like 4

i know speed can be a problem, but it doesnt matter what lane you are in on a 3 lane motor way the top speed is 70mph, if you are in an artic then its still 56mph in scotland but 60mph in england & wales if i have understood correctly, i know our bailey wyoming in the hand book says it is safe to tow at 81mph there is no way i would even want to tow at that speed, and also i would be getting daggers from the misses

mindy

er. ...I don't have a caravan on

No, but you admit to exceeding the speed limit. You're not a police officer, why did you feel the need to drive at 80mph to see how fast the caravan was going?

Typical comment

Typical of what? Your point is?

Edited by chrisbee

Yes total idiot, (not the OP).

What amazes me is that I would not dare pull my Bailey past 60. It grew a mind of its own.

John

i know speed can be a problem, but it doesnt matter what lane you are in on a 3 lane motor way the top speed is 70mph, if you are in an artic then its still 56mph in scotland but 60mph in england & wales if i have understood correctly, i know our bailey wyoming in the hand book says it is safe to tow at 81mph there is no way i would even want to tow at that speed, and also i would be getting daggers from the misses

mindy

No, 60mph.

It may well be against the law, however there is no indication it was dangerous, the buffeting experienced overtaking the vans and trucks was not more than that experienced at 60mph, problem is very few observe their vans from the rear. No reason to expect it to get worse, at that speed it is becoming sea anchor status and be unable to even enter a snake, pretty common on the continent especially as fuel is cheaper and cost is not a problem :)

• Like 2

looks like every ones come home from the pub and now theres going to be postinf fight, i am off to bed ad misses is nagging mg and i have had enougn

mindy

• Like 1

No, but you admit to exceeding the speed limit. You're not a police officer, why did you feel the need to drive at 80mph to see how fast the caravan was going?

Typical of what? Your point is?

My point is that while everyone else is focuses on the clown towing at what would appear to be 30 mph above the speed limit, towing a caravan in lane three, all you can do is criticise the OP.

It appears you are being obstreperous for the sake of causing an argument!

• Like 8

These kind of threads are the life blood of CT.

They give everyone the chance to get outraged and then, in turn, feed off each other's outrage.

I don't have a dash cam, but I thought they came with GPS speed Stamps. Be good to know what speeds we were really talking about? As for anyone who's convinced that 60 mph (or more likely 55mph if going on the speedo) represents some kind of cut off point in terms of towing safety, I'd be interested to know why. I tow at 60mph (a real 60mph) as it's the limit and a good balance on economy, but i haven't noticed a sudden deterioration above that speed.

My point is that while everyone else is focuses on the clown towing at what would appear to be 30 mph above the speed limit, towing a caravan in lane three, all you can do is criticise the OP.

Good post and I learnt a new word. Every day a school day. ..

Edited by AlfaEuropa
  • Like 6

I don't condone what the caravan tower was doing, merely stating that in my opinion it's not the OP's job to break the law to see how fast the caravan was travelling. He should have continued driving within the speed limit and watch the caravan disappear over the horizon which was indeed what he eventually did.

• Like 2

Whilst everyone else was commenting about the caravan driver, in all of you 3 posts up until this one your focus has been on your opinion of the short comings of the OP, and it is only in this post that you acknowledge and agree the errant actions of the caravanner.

That is why your posts come across as argumentative.

:goodpost:
  • Like 5

Two wrongs don't make a right!

knarf

It really wasn't a big deal IMO.

Hi xtrailman. So you don't think that that it was a big deal braking the speed limit for towing in the UK and going into the third lane on a three lane motorway. If it had been a four lane motorway or section and without exceeding 60mph - that is one thing but to go into the third lane and exceed the 60mph maximum - Well !!!!!!

Not to worry---he had his old Bulldog well tightened up!!!!!

Wunny - I was clearly not referring to the CT member with the dashcam I was refering to the chancer that was towing the caravan with the Mondeo (I think).

It doesn't matter much but think it's a Merc. :)

Total plonker IMO gives caravaners a bad name.

As for 80 mph on a motorway well it's the norm nowadays you just have to live with it.

I have a car that could easily tow at 80 but I'd never dream in doing it, as for the third lane even solo I'm seldom in it.

I prefer to go with the flow and arrive alive.

• Like 2

Or just looking at it from a different view point.

Or do you think its justified to speed after someone (exceeding the speed limit)already breaking the law, for no other reason but to get some more video.

These kind of threads are the life blood of CT.

They give everyone the chance to get outraged and then, in turn, feed off each other's outrage.

I don't have a dash cam, but I thought they came with GPS speed Stamps. Be good to know what speeds we were really talking about? As for anyone who's convinced that 60 mph (or more likely 55mph if going on the speedo) represents some kind of cut off point in terms of towing safety, I'd be interested to know why. I tow at 60mph (a real 60mph) as it's the limit and a good balance on economy, but i haven't noticed a sudden deterioration above that speed.

Good post and I learnt a new word. Every day a school day. ..

My dash cam has no GPS, and deliberately bought one with out it, if you speed and get involved in an accident the footage could put you in trouble. I also don't have the sound on. But the correct time and date is essential IMO.

Sign in to follow this