Internal Tank, What's The Advantage

Roger Chatfield

Evening chums, our Ace Supreme has an internal water tank, we also had a Swift Conqueror a few years back that had one.

I think we used the internal tank once and thought it was too much hassle. .. Fill Aqua roll, pump Aqua roll into internal tank, use water from internal tank. . Top up tank from Aqua roll. ... Etc etc.

Couldn't really see an advantage from having an internal tank, water pressure was no better and it just added an extra event to getting water, if you need the capacity for showers etc I think two aqua rolls would be better.

So, what are the advatages from having an internal tank?

Rog.

Advantages include having water ready to use when travelling, keeping water at room temperature in the winter to stop freezing and improve shower mixing. Also, on dodgy sites you can fill the tank and put the aquaroll and pump back in the car.

Handy for when you are at home and want to clean the van fittings, water always available.

We wouldn't buy a van without one.

The internal tank dosen't freeze up in cold weather, like an external pump/aqua roll, you can carry a few litres of water with you in the tank and have water for a cuppa and washing up en-route.

As a motorhomer, with an onboard tank only and no provision to pump water in as it were, I'd agree with the above - winter use.

We do have an Aquaroll now, but that is merely a transporter of water - pump it from the Aquaroll to the on board tank.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Use it in conjunction with Aquaroll. Fill up on board tank then refill Aquaroll. Use on board until it runs out then use water in aquaroll. Depending on the size fo the onboard tank, water should last a weekend without having to fill up again. One of the reasons we decided to avoid a 2016 Swift Conqueror as no more on board water tank.

Fisrtly : When we arrive on site we fill the on-board tank with an Aquaroll. We use the water from the Aquaroll until it runs out at an inconvenient time, in which case we switch the levers and use the water from the on-board tank, otherwise we just refill the Aquaroll. When convenient we refill the on-board tank and the Aquaroll and resume using the taps from the Aquaroll. It means if we are having a lie in in the morning we don't have to go outside because the water has run out. :)

Secondly : As stated above, when freezing conditions are predicted we ensure that the on-board tank is full before we retire. We also bring in the empty Aquaroll and pipe and keep it in the shower. We also empty the Wastemaster. The water in the on-board tank doesn't freeze and we don't have to thaw out the pipe and Aquaroll to enable us to refill it.

We would always empty the on-board tank before towing. ...

Edited by Shirl250

Had a conqueror previously which had an on-board tank and used it for a while until the novelty wore off. Found it a bit of a pain to be pumping from aqua roll into tank switching back and forth etc. Perhaps it's just us but we (2 of us) use all van facilities and manage with one fill up of the aqua roll per day, normally evening. We use all year round and with a properly insulated filling system, roll and pump feed we have never had any issues . Been on site when it's been well below freezing.

We use a small container which we filter for drinking and this is kept in the van.

For me as well as the above advantages already mentioned there is also the fact that using the water from the inboard tank gives you a longer shower when it's proper cold outside.

You are using room temperature water rather than sucking in freezing water into your hot water tank so you can have a longer hot shower if that's of interest, I'm not one for faffing around with turning on and off.😀

We also get better water pressure using the inboard tank but that's probably due to our van rather than the norm

Edited by sleepyfolk

Our old van had one, and miss having one. It was 40ltres, the day before we were ready to go home I would fill it right up then empty the aquaroll put it in the bag and store in the awning. It would leave us enough for two showers and what ever we used that night washing up etc. Once hitched up the next day and on the main road out of the park I would empty what's left in the tank which wouldn't be much. Leave the tap in the open posion, the advantages with an onboard tank you always have plenty of water, you just have to keep an eye on you waste hog. ....

Evening chums, our Ace Supreme has an internal water tank, we also had a Swift Conqueror a few years back that had one.

I think we used the internal tank once and thought it was too much hassle. ..

Sounds to me like you've already decided that you don't want one, and that's fine, it's your outfit.

So, what are the advatages from having an internal tank?

For me, the advantage is that I can arrive on site (or stop en-route in a layby) and everything is ready to go. I turn a tap and (it's a miracle) water comes out! The other obvious advantage is if it's raining when arriving on site (and it often is), there is no immediate requirement to trek across to site to get water. In fact we have arrived on some of the less formal sites and not even unhitched the car, just dropped the steadies and put the kettle on. When stopping overnight prior to a ferry crossing too, it has the advantage of one less thing to pack away, allowing a few extra precious minutes to sleep. Another obvious advantage is that I can choose when to collect water from the site tap, and top up the onboard tank at my leisure. Finally as has already been mentioned, water in an onboard tank is much less likely to freeze during winter trips.

Before someone tells me that I shouldn't travel with water in the onboard tank, I will say that with a full onboard tank my caravan outfits have all been well within their loading limit, and a full (not half full) tank is just a dead weight, so there are no instability issues.

Our last two outfits have been motorhomes, and recently I spent a full week parked close to the NEC for the caravan show, and did not have to collect or dispose of water for the entire week as I also have onboard waste tanks. That, is true off service use of the MH, and in my opinion an ideal way to use them.

Gordon.

Once hitched up the next day and on the main road out of the park I would empty what's left in the tank which wouldn't be much.

That of course would be illegal on a public road, and inconsiderate on private land. No matter how clean the water is, you are not permitted to discharge it directly onto a public carriageway, so I suggest you refrain from this practice.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Before someone tells me that I shouldn't travel with water in the onboard tank, I will say that with a full onboard tank my caravan outfits have all been well within their loading limit, and a full (not half full) tank is just a dead weight, so there are no instability issues.

Would agree with you there Gordon. Some would point to the risk of leakage from the pipework, but my view is that if the pipework develops a leak, it'll spill the contents of the tank before you notice it regardless of whether that happens in transit or while you're parked up.

For me I use my onboard tank for when I am on the docks or dry camping when it is impossible to fetch water, we then have enough to spend the night and do our teeth and a wash.

Whats not to like even for use the odd time.

Reading this topic made me realise that despite having an on-board water tank in our Peggy 2, it's never actually been used, despite us being all-year-round tourers. ..

I feel like a right plonker now as all the pro's mentioned (convenience/availability/temperature etc) seem like common sense :rolleyes:

One question though - mention is made of filling the on-board tank up via the Aquaroll. .. can't I just slide it out and fill it up at home via the outside tap for example when setting off on a trip?

Sounds to me like you've already decided that you don't want one, and that's fine, it's your outfit.

For me, the advantage is that I can arrive on site (or stop en-route in a layby) and everything is ready to go. I turn a tap and (it's a miracle) water comes out! The other obvious advantage is if it's raining when arriving on site (and it often is), there is no immediate requirement to trek across to site to get water. In fact we have arrived on some of the less formal sites and not even unhitched the car, just dropped the steadies and put the kettle on. When stopping overnight prior to a ferry crossing too, it has the advantage of one less thing to pack away, allowing a few extra precious minutes to sleep. Another obvious advantage is that I can choose when to collect water from the site tap, and top up the onboard tank at my leisure. Finally as has already been mentioned, water in an onboard tank is much less likely to freeze during winter trips.

Our last two outfits have been motorhomes, and recently I spent a full week parked close to the NEC for the caravan show, and did not have to collect or dispose of water for the entire week as I also have onboard waste tanks. That, is true off service use of the MH, and in my opinion an ideal way to use them.

Gordon.

That of course would be illegal on a public road, and inconsiderate on private land. No matter how clean the water is, you are not permitted to discharge it directly onto a public carriageway, so I suggest you refrain from this practice.

Gordon.

Best I stop washing my car then on a public highway then. ... Might get a fine. ... Don't have that caravan anymore, do miss the onboard water tank.