Washroom Heated Towel Rail

nigel207

We have a 2015 Lunar Clubman SE, which has a heated towel rail in the washroom as part of the Alde system. This weekend has been the first that we've really needed the heating, and I noticed that the rail was only getting hot right at the bottom. I realise that it works on convection, so didn't expect the top to get as hot as the bottom, but it was stone cold. Since getting home I've bled the rail, but only a tiny amount of air came out. Is this the norm for these rails, or should it work better?

Mine gets hot to the very top, might just need to keep bleeding it a little I had same problem when new. i read somewhere that's it's not convection and that it's got one pipe inside the other but I don't know if it's true.

Edited by Lozsing

Our previous van had the ALDE towel rail and it definitely got too hot to touch comfortably right up to the top. The new van has a radiator instead which again get good and hot.

Make sure that you keep the header tank topped up and bleed the rail - it may need a couple of goes before you get all the air out

This is the rail I'm talking about.

Picture taken a year ago? System needs bleeding and this can take a few outings. Nothing to worry about as long as the level in the tank is above minimum.

When we had ordered our Clubman Si, I thought the towel rail was a single pipe system and how could it possibly work.

I contacted Lunar and was advised that although the rail looked like a single pipe, it actually has another tube inside it which takes the glycol to the top.

Ours gets extremely hot and in use you can't hold it because of the heat.

The bathroom is toasty when the heating is on.

Yours should be the same.

When you bleed it, you should do so when the pump is NOT running. If you try to bleed it when the pump is running, air is drawn in rather than ejected out.

If that doesn't work, try getting the heating up to temperature, turning it off and raising the front of the van as high as you can get it and then turn the heating back on for a few minutes.

Then turn it off again and drop the front of the van as low as you can get it and turn the heating on again for a few minutes.

Then level the van and check the heating, bleeding again if necessary.

You also need to keep an eye on the glycol level in the header tank and top up if necessary.

Didn't need to do all that with the Lunar, but a previous Swift van had problems with air locks and that proceedure (based on advice from Alde) cleared it and we had very noisy gurgling sounds when the heating was run with the van elevated each time as the air came out, and no further problems thereafter.

During that process with the Swift the header tank took over a half litre of fluid in topping up.

Edited by hp100425ev

Hi, had a similar problem in a previous van,which turned out the towel rail had dropped and kinked the flexi pipe at the bottom preventing any circulation only heat travelling along the pipe, lifted rail and tightened clamps all good, noted Coachman have fitted a clamp on the horizontal rail to prevent it dropping, not sure if Lunar have. May be worth checking the flexi pipe either way.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. Job easily sorted. When we got back yesterday I bled the rail and a bit of air came out. I didn't try the heating, but this morning I undid the bleed screw again, but despite waiting for a while (and having topped up the header tank of course!) no more air came out. Thinking that no way would there be any improvement due to the tiny amount of air that initially came out I turned the heating on. Lo and behold, on the 3kw setting the rail got almost too hot to handle all the way to the top. :D

Thanks for the replies. Job easily sorted. When we got back yesterday I bled the rail and a bit of air came out. I didn't try the heating, but this morning I undid the bleed screw again, but despite waiting for a while (and having topped up the header tank of course!) no more air came out. Thinking that no way would there be any improvement due to the tiny amount of air that initially came out I turned the heating on. Lo and behold, on the 3kw setting the rail got almost too hot to handle all the way to the top. :D

You may need to do it for the next 2 - 3 outings to get all the air out as more than likely there will still be some air pockets around.

Thanks Delta Owner. We have used the caravan several times, but it was only this time that I thought to check the towel rail (as the other trips have been when it's been a bit warmer). The rest of the caravan gets lovely and warm (we had the Alde heating in our previous caravan too, so know what to expect), but on the previous model (2010 Clubman SE) the towel rail was a loop, unlike the current one.

However, now I know. .................

• 2 years later...

We have a 2012 Quazar 544. On the back wall, there is two plastic covers that presumably, a towel rail can be affixed. Where can I buy one please?

I'd be a bit careful as I doubt the covers you mention are for the purpose you assume.

I've run a 2012 Quasar 464 which is a totally different layout admittedly but there was no provision for fitting a towel rail. I've not heard of Lunar leaving such things for owners to fit themselves. I'd have a chat with a Lunar dealer first before doing anything rash.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

A Quasar wouldnt have fittings for an Alde towel rail as it wont have Alde heating.

An electric towel rail should be able to be fitted quite easily, either affixed to the back wall using cavity fixings, or on the wall behind the fixed bed headboard, which is easier.

I currently have an electric towel rail in my Lunar Clubman, in addition to the Alde towel rail, and have previously fitted one in two Swifts and more recently in my son’s Swift.

Edited by hp100425ev