Sign in to follow this  
KeithBold

Alde Central Heating

In the panel.

Panel can be badly located, as mentioned earlier if its over a heat source the sensor will detect the heat.

Another factor is how high up in the room the stat is fitted, high up will read higher than if its located lower down.

which is why some have invested in a remote sensor.

The panel location in my caravan is just about right, so I have no problems.

We use blown air installed in 2012. It is called air source heating. :D

Both your system and blown air tends to be expensive to fit.

Blown air was very popular in America, my system was run on gas.

The latest systems can also have air conditioning fitted so cool air is circulated through the same ducting.

Thanks again. Thanks to sled for replying also. The boiler is definitely running as the pipes are hot. We're away this weekend (from tomorrow night) and I'll see how we get on in terms of heat up time. If it takes too long I may price up "adding another radiator. I'llalso reset the control panel.

And yes, 30 degrees is how I like it!

Our Alde does not have a problem maintaining temperature but when it is very cold, to get the van up to temp as quickly as possible we run the system on gas only, or perhaps gas + 1kw (amps permitting). As well as a small fan heater.

This way it is soon up to speed.

John

When its 30 degrees centigrade aboard I find it unbearable, spending a lot of time in the pool just to cool off.

In the panel.

Panel can be badly located, as mentioned earlier if its over a heat source the sensor will detect the heat.

Another factor is how high up in the room the stat is fitted, high up will read higher than if its located lower down.

which is why some have invested in a remote sensor.

The panel location in my caravan is just about right, so I have no problems.

Both your system and blown air tends to be expensive to fit.

Blown air was very popular in America, my system was run on gas.

The latest systems can also have air conditioning fitted so cool air is circulated through the same ducting.

Our control panel is by the door and at eye level. The Air Source heating is fitted into our home and not the caravan. It is a lot cheaper to run than having storage heating which was very inefficient. It is a big piece of machinery with a large fan that draws air in throuhg the unit and then extracts the heat. The reverse of a fridge compressor.

I am now in my van, outside temp is -1 inside the van is toasting at 23C.

However, the van does take a while to get up to temp, from 0C on Friday at 5pm it was only 13C after 3. 5 hours.

So a bit on the slow side but it did rise pretty quickly once the blinds on the skylights were closed.

I would say the spread of warmth with Alde is a lot better and in operation a lot quieter than blow heating.

So as far as using the van in winter it's definitely doable and I think more people should give it a go.

Anyway must get back to the wine. ............

Edited by thesecretcaravanner

Agree that Alde can be slow to warm up. It also cools down fairly quickly. One good thing is that when it’s up to temp, the temp throughout the van is constant. Also, we leave ours on when we go out so it’s warm when we come in. We would never go back to blown air heating in the van.

Strange thing is we have blown air heating at home and wouldn’t dream of changing to wet radiators!

• Like 1