Sign in to follow this  
KeithBold

Alde Central Heating

I think I'm correct in saying that during the annual service the Alde heating is taken very high to check the system, 25 degrees rings a bell?

I wasn't too happy with the mobile engineer when I realised what he was doing, as I'm a tight sod and it's a waste of energy to me.

But he maintained that it was part of the checks, so the heating should be capable of going well over 21 degrees even in cold weather, my service was around April and it was cold.

I wish I could persuade my wife that around 20 degrees was adequate - she tweaks it up to 25 or more at which point I'm down to my underpants and almost unable to breath. Same indoors.

I think I'm correct in saying that during the annual service the Alde heating is taken very high to check the system, 25 degrees rings a bell?

I wasn't too happy with the mobile engineer when I realised what he was doing, as I'm a tight sod and it's a waste of energy to me.

But he maintained that it was part of the checks, so the heating should be capable of going well over 21 degrees even in cold weather, my service was around April and it was cold.

Very good practice to best purge any entrained/dissolved air that might otherwise find its way to haunt you on a cold night. Hot bubbles are big bubbles, big bubbles are big problem.

My van is always hot enough to cook a goose, but a question to those that like it cooler. ...is it not a recommendation to sleep at about 18 degrees or is that more "for the older generation"

Russ

When we first got our ALDE system we did and still do think the Truma system warms up the caravan a lot quicker than the ALDE system. We got around the issue by getting the manufacturer to add vents in the front whcih made a huge difference. In addition, we bought a under floor heating mat from Rugbuddy which also helps warm the caravan up a lot quicker.

BTW we noticed that if you set the temperature to 22C ou need to adjust the offset to compensate for the difference becasue although the temperature may read 22C on the display, it si probably only about 18-19C inside the caravan hence a good reason to push it up to 30C temporary.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Hope I don't sound stupid,,we are 1st timers to caravaning & we went for our 1st night last Saturday & we have Aldi heating & set it to 30 & it took ages to get the van to warm up,,the rad in the bathroom warmed up straight away but the one in the bed room took ages,,I was on EHU. is their something I'm doing wrong or do I need the gas turning on.

Andy.

Hi everyone,

A fantastic and informed response. Thanks to you all. The van was empty in our drive while I heated it up as a test. No stuffed lockers. This can has 160kg payload so I won't be stuffing much on it - I am towing with a CRV. Well, at least until next weekend after our first outing with this vsn. I've got my eye on a 5 seat Santa Fe which I'd feel more comfortable with. I was trying to heat up the van with just the electric but later added gas which seemed to help a lot. I got it to 30 but it took a while. I like it that warm. There isn't 3kw setting - as others advise I have packed a fan heater. I'll heat up the alde on gas only with the fan heater on tisave tripping the supply. 6206greg, what did you tow yours with if you don't mind me asking?

I did notice that the heat is more uniform and even with the door open today seemed to be retained.

Thanks again.

Keith

Hope I don't sound stupid,,we are 1st timers to caravaning & we went for our 1st night last Saturday & we have Aldi heating & set it to 30 & it took ages to get the van to warm up,,the rad in the bathroom warmed up straight away but the one in the bed room took ages,,I was on EHU. is their something I'm doing wrong or do I need the gas turning on.

Andy.

I would think that your system needs bleeding. Find the bleed point and open it a bit while the rads are on hot. You should hear air escaping. Leave until a bit of moisture appears. Do this several times and problem should be cured. May require tow or three outings before ti settles. Can help if caravan is tilted slightly downwards away from bleed point.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

A fantastic and informed response. Thanks to you all. The van was empty in our drive while I heated it up as a test. No stuffed lockers. This can has 160kg payload so I won't be stuffing much on it - I am towing with a CRV. Well, at least until next weekend after our first outing with this vsn. I've got my eye on a 5 seat Santa Fe which I'd feel more comfortable with. I was trying to heat up the van with just the electric but later added gas which seemed to help a lot. I got it to 30 but it took a while. I like it that warm. There isn't 3kw setting - as others advise I have packed a fan heater. I'll heat up the alde on gas only with the fan heater on tisave tripping the supply. 6206greg, what did you tow yours with if you don't mind me asking?

I did notice that the heat is more uniform and even with the door open today seemed to be retained.

Thanks again.

Keith

post-69382-0-25092700-1445793303_thumb.jpg

T5, 140 DSG, no problems.

Hi everyone,

Thanks again.

Keith

Hello Keith

You can run the Alde on gas and electric at the same time. You dont need the gas and fan heater, the Alde will do both at once.

I'm in my motorhome now, and have one of the low level floor fans on as per my post a few back - it makes a lot of difference.

russ

Hello Keith

You can run the Alde on gas and electric at the same time. You dont need the gas and fan heater, the Alde will do both at once.

russ

Only effectively to the extent it can dissipate that power to the van. If the system can only dissipate power levels up to say the gas rating [5kW?] then its advantageous to put electrical power into the van via any other electrical heater you have.

With a 2kW fan heater and the Alde on gas we get 7 kW into that example van; with the Alde on both gas and electricity we can't get more than the 5 kWs its system can get into the van.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks again.

Keith

30 ? Is that a typing error ?

Are you naturists or sauna enthusiasts ?

Anything above 22 and my wife opens all the windows, rooflights and door.

Bob

30 ? Is that a typing error ?

Are you naturists or sauna enthusiasts ?

Anything above 22 and my wife opens all the windows, rooflights and door.

Bob

I'm sure their must be something wrong with mine,,last week while on ehu I had it on 30 to get it warm & it took a while to get warm then knocked it down to 27 then it got a bit cold again & that was on 3kw.

Andy.

The reading probably needs an offset entering into the menu.

I don't bother but I do know its inaccurate.

The temperature sensor is in the control panel and we have a van where the TV and recorder/dvd player sit on a surface next to it. This means in the evening if we have the TV etc on generating heat we have to set the thermostat on the Aldi to about six degrees higher than we need it. The temperature recorded on there is often 27 or 28 whereas the temperature on the clock where we sit will be showing 20 or 21. We are going to look into having a remote sensor fitted over the winter.

Having now given our Alde system a thorough test I can honestly say it beats blown air hands down.

Of course that is if it is installed as per recommendations.

I didn't dislike the blown air, it worked and was toasty warm. It is however like comparing apples and pears. I have to ask how many new blown air domestic heating systems are installed?

Not many because the installation really needs to be done when the house is being built.

Main advantages is there's no wall space lost to radiators, or any water leaks.

Also there is very little to go wrong. Over 25 years only fault was a couple of new fan belts for the circulation fan.

How many new houses then?

Not many. ..........

Not many because the installation really needs to be done when the house is being built.

There are a lot of new domestic houses built each year. Of those, what % these days in the UK, do those in the know estimate will have blown air?

I have no idea but its a long time since I visited a domestic property with blown air so feel it is not the most popular choice.

How many new houses then?

Not many. ..........

No longer popular, it was a 70's fad. My house was electric blown air on economy 7. 10kw building the heat up only to run out at about 9:30 in the winter, made us go to bed early.

Friends have a gas system. I organised servicing for them last year, hard to get anyone to do it due to its age.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

There are a lot of new domestic houses built each year. Of those, what % these days in the UK, do those in the know estimate will have blown air?

I have no idea but its a long time since I visited a domestic property with blown air so feel it is not the most popular choice.

We use blown air installed in 2012. It is called air source heating. :D

Edited by DeltaTIowner

My air source heating feed undefloor hot water pipes :rolleyes:

We used to have blown air in previous house about 40 years ago which did the job but it did blow the dust about and dried the air.

Edited by matelodave

We use blown air installed in 2012. It is called air source heating. :D

Air source heat pump can be, but are not necessarily the same as blown air.

Quote.

In domestic heating use, an ASHP absorbs heat from outside air and releases it inside the building, as hot air, hot water-filled radiators, underfloor heating and/or domestic hot water supply. The same system can often do the reverse in summer, cooling the inside of the house. When correctly specified, an ASHP can offer a full central heating solution and domestic hot water up to 80°C.

John

Hello there. When picking up your new vehicle, we always recommend resetting the Alde control panel. This will restore factory default settings and will generally solve most aberrant behaviour in the system.

Another tip is to verify how the 230 V power to the system is isolated. The Alde control panel will display an electric plug symbol when the boiler is receiving 230 V supply. Have a look around for any third party switches (usually labelled) and operate them. If you see the electric plug symbol on the Alde control panel wink on-off when you operate the switch, you know it's isolating the boiler.

If you set the Alde system to use electric heating, but the boiler is isolated from 230 V power, the circulation pump will still function (it's 12 V) but not a lot else will occur.

Why is the tempeture shown on the display so far out from reality most of the time? The temperature on the display may read 22C but a thermometer is reading 19C? Where is the temperature sensor located?

Edited by DeltaTIowner