Uk Border Farce

Sailed back at 8. 30am from Caen to Portsmouth on the Armorique yesterday. Nice smooth crossing and fairly fast exit from the ship. Approached the UK Border Force booths and couldn't believe the farce going on.

There were a lot of large panel vans and the operator in the booth had to get up off their chair, come out of their nice warm booth and check inside the back of the van, before returning to the booth and dealing with the passport. This obviously was causing delays.

The vehicle immediately in front of me was a large panel van towing a huge trailer that was covered with a securely roped tarpaulin. The young woman dutifully came out of the booth, adjusted her cap because it was a bit windy, then proceeded to pick at the edges of the tarpaulin to see what was underneath. This proved to be very difficult because of the rope but credit to her she persevered and spent several minutes loosening ropes and tugging at the tarpaulin which still refused to budge. Then she asked the driver to open the back door of his van, and discovered it was chock full of building materials, timber, step ladders etc. and so didn't investigate any further. Finally she returned to her booth and dealt with the passport.

Apart from delaying me and all the other vehicles in my queue what was the flipping point ?

It is always a dilema for any kind of security screening, whether to give all a superficial check, or check a sample in detail, or a mix of both approaches.

The point was they were doing their jobs checking for any illegal immigrants hidden in the van or the trailer - yes annoying to be stuck behind them but that is what the border force is for.

Sailed back at 8. 30am from Caen to Portsmouth on the Armorique yesterday. Nice smooth crossing and fairly fast exit from the ship. Approached the UK Border Force booths and couldn't believe the farce going on.

There were a lot of large panel vans and the operator in the booth had to get up off their chair, come out of their nice warm booth and check inside the back of the van, before returning to the booth and dealing with the passport. This obviously was causing delays.

The vehicle immediately in front of me was a large panel van towing a huge trailer that was covered with a securely roped tarpaulin. The young woman dutifully came out of the booth, adjusted her cap because it was a bit windy, then proceeded to pick at the edges of the tarpaulin to see what was underneath. This proved to be very difficult because of the rope but credit to her she persevered and spent several minutes loosening ropes and tugging at the tarpaulin which still refused to budge. Then she asked the driver to open the back door of his van, and discovered it was chock full of building materials, timber, step ladders etc. and so didn't investigate any further. Finally she returned to her booth and dealt with the passport.

Apart from delaying me and all the other vehicles in my queue what was the flipping point ?

Carrying out her duties?

You are either lucky or not at border checks. My last two entries to the UK via Dover were straight from the ferry ramp to Jubilee Way without stopping. In contrast, leaving from Dover entailed spending nearly 30 minutes at check-in each time whilst ferry staff recorded passport details.

Going out from Portsmouth in June they checked under the bonnet,not a lot of room in a Santa Fe engine compartment.

John.

I'll bet she was terrified of having several highly motivated (to the point of violence, possibly)

stowaways jump out on her. It is also possible that she was obeying her instructions not

to get into a "situation"

What a lot of people don't realise is that (being an ex enforcement UKBA member), officers on the ground may look like they are doing strange things but the stuff they do is based upon continual intelligence streams from different agencies and countries.

I completely understand the frustration people have with them but you must remember that they are only carrying out tasks- most of which are pre determined before you even enter a port. I always get checked when I go away- it's because I'm a young single male towing an expensive item out of country. Compared to most other passengers, I look out of the norm. I really don't mind as I treat it as a safety check. It's really not the case of them doing what they want though- it's much much more complex.

Take for example (without going into any great detail)- the UKBA Stopped a container when arriving on an overseas shipment. Consignment- stated as scrap. They opened it to find it packed with scrap but intelligence suggested that this particular sender/receiver/consignment warranted further investigation. The port were very upset that tey had to up end the container and empty it as it was fill of scrap. ...... What was in amongst the scrap was a small metal box- welded shut packed with cocaine. Everything they do is intelligence based or deterrent warranted.

At Poole on Monday evening, customs staff pulled a foot passenger -my word he looked like a tobacco shop.

They know what and who they are looking for.

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Those that moan about border checks are usually the same people that moan about too many illegal immigrants.

If you dont want illegals youve got to put up with border checks. ............simples

Did anyone see those illegals force open the truck that was carrying a Polar Bear. ..it was on its way to Doncaster. ..Yorkshire Wildlife Park. ................They got a shock but they still got in. The Bear was caged.

We came back from Calais to Dover many years ago and were pulled over for a intense search, bonnet up and air filter off everything out of the boot and spare wheel checked and a camera down the fuel filler neck amongst other things. I said to the wife, whatever you do, don't say you need the toilet. it's inconvenient but it needs doing.

Our biggest turnover was at Mulhouse/Bale - French border staff. They were on the roof of the motorhome, looked at the satellite dish, you name it, they looked.

I did ask what they were looking for, and if I could help them find it, I would.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

A few years ago, I arrived at Dover Tunnel terminal on the way to France and was pulled over by the Police who started to make a search of my car and caravan. I accepted what they were doing as a necessary nuisance until one of the Officers asked me . ...Do you happen to know a DC.(name withheld).... He suggested that this car may be worth a good looking at. Yes I replied, as I work in the same office. It seems he thought it would be really funny if I missed my train.

Some time later, that same colleague had a great deal of difficultly unlocking his desk drawer one morning eventually resorting to forcing the lock. He then discovered that someone had exchanged his desk for the DI's desk. I have no idea who that may have been!

It's because illegal migrants have been discovered in Portsmouth, presumably having targetted an 'easier' port than Calais. We were stopped at Le Havre in July and EVERY vehicle, cars and caravans, as well as white panel vans, were all subject to a thorough search and an exterior swab of all door handles. It wasn't done by passport staff, but it still delayed the check-in process by a considerable time. We were told they were looking for migrants, as well as potential explosive devices.

Unfortunately with all these desperate people around, if we want to stop them entering England or bringing in explosives, then we have to be aware that this will involve us all in delays and inconveniences.

Edited by ValA

Those that moan about border checks are usually the same people that moan about too many illegal immigrants.

If you dont want illegals youve got to put up with border checks. ............simples

Did anyone see those illegals force open the truck that was carrying a Polar Bear. ..it was on its way to Doncaster. ..Yorkshire Wildlife Park. ................They got a shock but they still got in. The Bear was caged.

Unfortunately. :angry:

I still wonder why we take people in, they all hate us and just

clump together in specific areas which will become no go areas

as in Holland. Then some raise the ISIS banner and their youngsters

go off on jihad. Its all very sad, my son was in the middle of those

London transport bombings wondering what the heck was going on.

I for one want out of the freedom of movement in the EU because we

get the EU's rejects.

The bit that made me chuckle was the fact that I was filmed by security opening every single internal cupboard on the van. And that was LEAVING the uk, not coming back

No check in Rotterdam in the summer and no check in Ijmuiden in October. But we did get bag searched on the boat before getting into the lounge (where there were no seats**) Geordie bouncers on one set of doors, and dutch ones on the other.

No checks in Newcastle either.

(We were bringing in our weight in Reisling and Frankenwein)

** There were seats, but they were full of party people.

The farce I witnessed when arriving at Portsmouth was just a case of paying lip service to a security requirement.

There could have been half a dozen people under the tarpaulin, and more in the back of the van - fiddling about will never prevent the incomers.

We came back through Zeebrugge 3 weeks ago, razor wire around the port, caravan well inspected - seat cushions lifted, shower checked etc - we had a taped up broken front window on the van and had to confirm this hadn't been done near the port, car also inspected. All done very politely. We were pleased the checks were made - why should it be a problem if it is for our own good? Glad to see it done on the other side of the water - if it was all done in the UK any illegals found would probably stay here forever !!

A few years ago, I arrived at Dover Tunnel terminal on the way to France and was pulled over by the Police who started to make a search of my car and caravan. I accepted what they were doing as a necessary nuisance until one of the Officers asked me . ...Do you happen to know a DC.(name withheld).... He suggested that this car may be worth a good looking at. Yes I replied, as I work in the same office. It seems he thought it would be really funny if I missed my train.

Some time later, that same colleague had a great deal of difficultly unlocking his desk drawer one morning eventually resorting to forcing the lock. He then discovered that someone had exchanged his desk for the DI's desk. I have no idea who that may have been!

I wonder why no-one answers the non emergency line??

What are they looking for on your way out of the UK?

Explosives,weapons,stowaways fleeing the judicial system in the UK?

knarf

Personally I think we should search every vehicle coming in, and I don't mean the cursory glance the OP witnessed, if the lorry is full of wood etc it should have been either emptied or checked by other means, yes it costs money but surely it is cheaper to employ lots of border security than deal with the consequences of illegals in the country and the associated costs. I would take money from the foreign aid budget to pay for it. An inconvenience if travellers are held up, but security is not a dirty word and should be taken seriously.