Isn't This What All Manufacturers Should Be Showing?!

Lozzyf

post-75029-0-54832100-1445587180_thumb.jpg

It's hobby but it's not about the manufacturer, it's about showing in simple terms WHAT your getting!!!

Edited by Lozzyf

Quite a few manufacturers do show that type of make up.

Quite a few manufacturers do show that type of make up.

If they do I'm struggling to find it in their brochures/gumpf ?, can you point me in the right direction?

I have found it on swift brochures but it's not easy to find if your a beginner

Edited by Lozzyf

In a recent topic, probably on the NEC show, there was an ordered list of caravan features which affected buying decisions. If the construction details were on that list I would hazard a guess that they were very low on the list.

In a recent topic, probably on the NEC show, there was an ordered list of caravan features which affected buying decisions. If the construction details were on that list I would hazard a guess that they were very low on the list.

It's what I can't understand?, you wouldn't buy a house without a survey or knowing what it was made of ?!!

It's what I can't understand?, you wouldn't buy a house without a survey or knowing what it was made of ?!!

Why not? The survey is more about the condition rather than construction materials. When you buy a car do you check what the cyl. head is made of or what sort, if any, type of sound insulation is fitted inside the doors?

Listening to the comments made by people viewing caravans at the show the last thing on their minds, if it even crossed their minds, was the construction method.

Why not? The survey is more about the condition rather than construction materials. When you buy a car do you check what the cyl. head is made of or what sort, if any, type of sound insulation is fitted inside the doors?

Fair point, but you wouldn't buy a trabant would you?!😵😵

I agree this is the details I would like to know. However seeing that I for one would now steer clear of van with an ABS integrty critical corner joint. Not what I want in that flexing and UV exposed position.

I suspect that for many the interest in the construction is not so much excatly what the van is made of but more around how solid and waterproof it is going to be. Using the house comparison, you're not really concerned whether it's bricks and mortar, as long as its not going to leak when it rains.

If caravans had a better reputation for not leaking, people would just assume (like they do with houses) that all is well and not have the same the level of interest of what is going on behind the thin aluminium skin. Maybe!

I agree this is the details I would like to know. However seeing that I for one would now steer clear of van with an ABS integrty critical corner joint. Not what I want in that flexing and UV exposed position.

That's because you KNOW what you like and don't . One of my points is newcomers like me are finding it hard to actually find out what we do and don't want because the makers wrap it up in airy fairy acronyms .

I - for one - place a priority on how a caravan is constructed and of what materials.

For far too long caravan manufacturers have made caravans 'not fit for purpose' and its good to see the improved construction methods, but as JTQ points out, they still have a way to go generally.

On the other hand, will manufacturers ever build a caravan that is going to last for years? Its not in their interest to do so I think.

That's because you KNOW what you like and don't . One of my points is newcomers like me are finding it hard to actually find out what we do and don't want because the makers wrap it up in airy fairy acronyms .

At the end of the day I think its a choice of what you want in a caravan and to what level of comfort - layout etc. . After having chosen your van of choice, carry out research to find any pitfalls concerning a particular make with your ideal layout. There is a surfeit of information on CT to how good or bad a particular make is, irrespective of manufacturers blurb.

However, my theory in general is - The younger a van then the better it is. Allegedly. :D

Don't forget CT generally only contains the bad news stories and all makes have them. Also the amount of posts is skewed by volume of ownership.

Bailey and Swift each produce about three times as many vans as any other make and a lot of Swift Group owners use Swiftalk not CT.

So you'll see less smaller brand posts because there are less of them and less Swift posts because a lot of owners use the in-house forum.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Bailey publish the info, it's on their website, there are also videos of how the van is put together and some dealers even have part mock-ups made from wall & roof sections with the extrusions & clamps so you can see how it goes together. There were several kicking about the bailey stands when I've been to the NEC together with cut aways from their mattresses and upholstery.

Mostly the info is out there - although you might have to dig a bit. YouTube and The Caravan Channel have also got some videos. Even conventionally built vans (wood & aluminium) are perfectly Ok if they've been put together properly. As SDA says, you mainly get complaints from those who have had problems on the forum rather than the other 95% or more who don't.

I should be wary of all the manufacturers hype anyway - only time will tell if all these amazing new technologies will live up to their expectations. baileys were the first to start with a different form of construction with their Alutech bodyshell which must be about 5-6 years old by now so there should be some feed back on how it's performing for the vast majority of customers, not just those few who have had a problem

Edited by matelodave

It tends to be that if manufacturers have a tale to tell they'll make a big splash about it in the Press, website and exhibitions. After a while it loses impact and they major on something else.

Hymer always do a page or section on their PUAL construction system and their Eriba Touring brochure always has a section showing a cutaway van and its steel tubing body frame. Bailey always mention AluTech, Elddis SOLID and Swift SMART. In Swift's case I can see that people get confused by the different 'levels' of SMART construction and I feel they should have completely different names to aid understanding.

Don't forget CT generally only contains the bad news stories and all makes have them. Also the amount of posts is skewed by volume of ownership.

Bailey and Swift each produce about three times as many vans as any other make and a lot of Swift Group owners use Swiftalk not CT.

So you'll see less smaller brand posts because there are less of them and less Swift posts because a lot of owners use the in-house forum.

I've posted on swift talk but I do find it a boring site 😱😱😱😱😱

There doesn't seem so much activity on it although to be fair I've asked questions and got the answers, but I do love a good debate!!!!

We bought a Hymer BECAUSE of the construction. We were sick to death of our last two new British caravans leaking, in 2006 we saw the PUAL system and knew that even if by some fluke, water got in, it would run out at the bottom and not soak up somewhere. We agree with SDA about the confusion with the Swift Smart dual levels. They should be careful to tell people that only the top two ranges have the full system including plastic floor. ....Peter

We bought a Hymer BECAUSE of the construction. We were sick to death of our last two new British caravans leaking, in 2006 we saw the PUAL system and knew that even if by some fluke, water got in, it would run out at the bottom and not soak up somewhere. . ...Peter

Wish that was true but the sandwich still uses a plywood inner board; yes, is does soak in.

We purchased both of ours for the very same reason; the technicalities of the construction. More to the point we would not purchase any van where its construction was fundamentally flawed, sadly this leaves us with a short list to select layout etc from. Seems to me surprising that by and large it is an industry that is years, if not decades behind adopting the best practices available in 2015.

Edited by JTQ

Wish that was true but the sandwich still uses a plywood inner board; yes, is does soak in.

We purchased both of ours for the very same reason; the technicalities of the construction. More to the point we would not purchase any van where its construction was fundamentally flawed, sadly this leaves us with a short list to select layout etc from. Seems to me surprising that by and large it is an industry that is years, if not decades behind adopting the best practices available in 2015.

I thought the plywood in the construction was marine ply?

It all comes down to cost JTQ.

We've seen the sorts of premium Swift Group charge for their top of their range construction method and it's likely that current best practice materials and methods would be even more expensive. That's likely to substantially limit the potential market and would possibly render any such project unviable.

Don't forget new caravan sales prices run from around £13,000 to £32,000, with SMART HT vans around the £25,000 to £30,000 mark and the bulk of van sales around £18,000 to £23,000. So going much higher would stretch what the UK public are prepared to pay.

I thought the plywood in the construction was marine ply?

That may or maybe not true however that only brings the attribute of a moister resistive bonding adhesive, the wood is still wood uninpregnated with anything to stop moisture take up.

Mine is I am pretty sure from a bit I removed, a birch ply and both aborbs water well and supports fungal staining and "rotting".

Edited by JTQ

It all comes down to cost JTQ.

We've seen the sorts of premium Swift Group charge for their top of their range construction method and it's likely that current best practice materials and methods would be even more expensive. That's likely to substantially limit the potential market and would possibly render any such project unviable.

Don't forget new caravan sales prices run from around £13,000 to £32,000, with SMART HT vans around the £25,000 to £30,000 mark and the bulk of van sales around £18,000 to £23,000. So going much higher would stretch what the UK public are prepared to pay.

I think current purchasers of Smart HT are paying for the research,testing and set up of new manufacture processes and machinery. As time goes on I guess Swift will roll out HT across the whole of their range and economies of scale will reduce products' costs. Edited by paulthomas

I think current purchasers of Smart HT are paying for the research,testing and set up of new manufacture processes and machinery. As time goes on I guess Swift will roll out HT across the whole of their range and economies of scale will reduce products' costs.

Paul,

Think you have got it spot on. High prices now, like any new product, will come down, or sales will struggle