Empty Van For Service?

I think Lozzy mentioned that van had to be emptied prior to servicing. Is this common practice - never had to empty mine.

Generally you don't have to but if you want a thorough damp test then you've got to make sure that it's all accessible - I'm sure if it's stuffed full with your kit then they won't shift it to get into cupboards and corners.

Anyway, I always use the annual service as an opportunity to have a sort out of stuff that's accumulated over the year, get rid of odds & sods that haven't been used and to give it a good clean in all the nooks & crannies.

It also allows me to give it a good check to identify what might need to be sorted out during the service.

Generally you don't have to but if you want a thorough damp test then you've got to make sure that it's all accessible - I'm sure if it's stuffed full with your kit then they won't shift it to get into cupboards and corners.

Anyway, I always use the annual service as an opportunity to have a sort out of stuff that's accumulated over the year, get rid of odds & sods that haven't been used and to give it a good clean in all the nooks & crannies.

It also allows me to give it a good check to identify what might need to be sorted out during the service.

+1 but never seem to throw anything out !!

Would agree with Dave above. ..certainly my dealer always asks for everything above floor level to be empty. ...so all lockers.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I would love to be able to empty the van but as it's kept in storage over 200 miles away from where we live, we can't. Has been serviced before and never removed any stuff - just explained to the dealer the situation and they seem to be happy to move stuff as necessary.

They definitely said to me for it to be empty and able to walk around . . Also under the bed .

We hadn't got much in it to be fair and I took the opportunity to clean everything ( I don't know why it makes me feel better)

Good time for a clear out of accumulations throughout the year.

As Dave says, if it's in the way, the service agent won't empty your junk to look, they'll just move on to the next area. So, if you're paying for a service you may as well have it done properly

If you are taking your caravan to a workshop for servicing then I agree with all the above. However if you chose to use a mobile service engineer then it may be a lot easier to avoid taking everything out and finding temporary storage space for the contents. Usually a mobile service engineer will be a bit more flexible about this because you will be handy to move things for him. For example if you have a fixed bed with access door and empty the storage space You can take the stuff out for a few minutes while the area is damp tested. This is what I have done in recent years since using mobile workshops.

So you empty the cutlery drawer for a damp check?????? I don't. ;)

I get the butler to do that for me! 🍷🍺🍴🍸🍹

I would love to be able to empty the van but as it's kept in storage over 200 miles away from where we live, we can't. Has been serviced before and never removed any stuff - just explained to the dealer the situation and they seem to be happy to move stuff as necessary.

I would carefully examine the damp test report after service. When I once did not empty my caravan before service, which like yours is stored many miles from my home, the service agent did not carry out a proper damp check. When challenged about it the answer was that they could not access the test areas, despite assuring me before the service that it would be OK with my stuff on board.

I have resolved the problem by having a mobile technician service my caravan when I am staying at my storage site, though not in the storage area. Prior to the technician's visit I empty the 'van of the contents and place them on the pitch under a tarp until the service is complete.

Edited by DeeTee

I would carefully examine the damp test report after service. When I once did not empty my caravan before service, which like yours is stored many miles from my home, the service agent did not carry out a proper damp check. When challenged about it the answer was that they could not access the test areas, despite assuring me before the service that it would be OK with my stuff on board.

I have resolved the problem by having a mobile technician service my caravan when I am staying at my storage site, though not in the storage area. Prior to the technician's visit I empty the 'van of the contents and place them on the pitch under a tarp until the service is complete.

Problem we have is that we collect from storage after a 4 hour drive and then tow to a nearby site. The van is then set up for our stay which is usually 6 or 7 nights. I am then out working most days and evenings and my wife stays in the van with the dogs. It wold be very difficult for anyone to service the van whilst we are there and when we finish, we have to pack up, clean out the van, put it back into storage and drive 4 hours home.

The dealer I am using will keep the van for a week so we drop it off on the way home and then collect it on the way back up. Unfortunately, there is not enough room in the car to take any of the van contents home. I think the phrase I am looking for is "rock and a hard place" :(

Problem we have is that we collect from storage after a 4 hour drive and then tow to a nearby site. The van is then set up for our stay which is usually 6 or 7 nights. I am then out working most days and evenings and my wife stays in the van with the dogs. It wold be very difficult for anyone to service the van whilst we are there and when we finish, we have to pack up, clean out the van, put it back into storage and drive 4 hours home.

The dealer I am using will keep the van for a week so we drop it off on the way home and then collect it on the way back up. Unfortunately, there is not enough room in the car to take any of the van contents home. I think the phrase I am looking for is "rock and a hard place" :(

Maybe only answer is to have it serviced close to home but put it on a local caravan site (or friends driveway) for the purpose. You can dump your stuff in the house. Does mean bringing it all the way home though. Maybe combine it with the start of an overseas trip or similar longer holiday if possible Edited by AlfaEuropa

I think it is only fair on the workshop personnel that the van should be emptied. This ensures they can't be accused of removing anything if you later find something missing and which may, or may not, have been in the van at the time of the service.

The same applies to a car service as well.

As others have said, also gives the chance for a clear out.

I think it is only fair on the workshop personnel that the van should be emptied. This ensures they can't be accused of removing anything if you later find something missing and which may, or may not, have been in the van at the time of the service.

The same applies to a car service as well.

As others have said, also gives the chance for a clear out.

Yes I think there is something on the dealers paper and conditions about not being liable for any loss due to leaving things in.

I would trust my dealer a family firm with my contents though.

Maybe only answer is to have it serviced close to home but put it on a local caravan site (or friends driveway) for the purpose. You can dump your stuff in the house. Does mean bringing it all the way home though. Maybe combine it with the start of an overseas trip or similar longer holiday if possible

Good idea but won't work for us. The van is only used for staying in while I am working away. Not quite sure I understand this word you use in your post - "holiday" - I can't quite recall what it means. ;)

I suppose you could rent a storage locker of sorts to empty the 'van, but as someone suggested, get the 'van serviced near home, then you can empty it into your home. I'm thinking that you have chairs, awning, bedding, clothes, food, TV, etc. and you couldn't expect the service to be carried out around all that surely.

I suppose you could rent a storage locker of sorts to empty the 'van, but as someone suggested, get the 'van serviced near home, then you can empty it into your home. I'm thinking that you have chairs, awning, bedding, clothes, food, TV, etc. and you couldn't expect the service to be carried out around all that surely.

I was fortunate to have a storage site which had spare storage capacity available in a Grade 2 listed barn when my caravan was away for three weeks at a dealer's where the rear panel was replaced. A donation to the adjacent local hospice was the charge which was made.

I posted the solution which works for me earlier as I do store everything listed above and more besides. :D

We make sure that the floor is clear by taking the stuff on the floor home. In addition anything around locker doors or where they do the damp check is removed so cupboards are accessible.

We don't leave any food, bedding or clothes in the van. We bring the TV home and don't have an awning. What is left is the wastemaster, 2 aquarolls, all in bags stored on the floor near the fixed bed, pots and pans in the lower kitchen cupboard and plates etc in the upper lockers. There are a few bits and pieces in the upper lockers and then under the bed, the carpets, rolled up in plastic, a few spares and a toolkit. The front locker has the mains cable and ramps and mains water connection.

Renting a locker is a good idea but unfortunately, not practical. On the day we leave for home, by the time we have packed, loaded the car, cleaned the van through, there would be no time to take stuff to a lock up/ storage as we have a 4. 5 hour drive home. Similarly, driving 220 miles to collect the van, bringing it home another 220 miles, emptying the contents driving it to a dealer - closest is 1 hour away - collecting and returning home, reloading and then keeping it on the drive for 5 weeks till our next trip - not practical. The dealer who is doing the service did it last year and made not comments about our stuff being in the way - I will check the damp report carefully this year to make sure all areas are checked.