Recommendation For Alarm

sirtom01

can anyone recommend the best alarm for a new unicorn 2 cadiz

sorry this should read unicorn 3

I would fit a IDM alarm had one on two caravans over 14 years with out any real problems, no fob to carry and a wired PIR that works, system could also be extended by fitting reed switches to locker lids extra.

Edited by xtrailman

Don't know if they are still being made but our idm alarm was with us for 10 plus years in 3 vans. Never a fault shown with the exception that the PIR did not like it when we recorded - 6 deg c in the van and it set the alarm off (possibly due to the battery volts dropping to low. Otherwise a good piece of kit.

The Keen Electronics one is quite well regarded ) http://www. keenelectronics. co. uk/protectortwocaravan. html ), in fact my previous caravan insurance company (Caravan Guard) recommended it

Stay away from Sargent, I agree if still available IDM or equivalent I fitted one to my 2002 Coachman Amara, never missed a beat, where as the Sargent alarm has given me many years of problems

I store my caravan so I would like to know if it has moved or been entered. I bought one of these www. caravanclub. co. uk/shop-and-offers/member-offers/sentinel-alarm. It it self contained and battery operated. It does not have a siren (which nobody takes any notice of) instead it sends an SMS alaert to your mobile - at that point you can remotely either 'listen in' access the GPS coordinates of the vehicle - or if you know it is a false alarm send the alarm back to 'sleep'. Unit is armed and disarmed by the proximity of the key fob to the vehicle.

Im pretty pleased with this little device - I was ready to put a traditional alarm in but this suits me better.

Stay away from Sargent, I agree if still available IDM or equivalent I fitted one to my 2002 Coachman Amara, never missed a beat, where as the Sargent alarm has given me many years of problems

To be fair though, there are many hundreds of Sargent alarms in use without problems although I do admit they tend to use more power than most.

My only thoughts about an alarm are:

1) If the van is in storage and the alarm goes off, who hears it? Would you then have a flat leisure battery?

2) If the alarm goes off on a site, who cares? Other than annoying people?

How many car alarms have you heard go off and no one gives a hoot?

Just my thoughts and I could be missing something.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Very many thanks for the thoughts. I like the look of the sentinel alarm and will give that a try.

Thanks to asklowey for the heads up

1) If the van is in storage and the alarm goes off, who hears it? Would you then have a flat leisure battery?

Russ

Its useful at home on the drive, on site if I'm fishing nearby, and useful for any neighbours who check out for us when away.

I store my caravan so I would like to know if it has moved or been entered. I bought one of these www. caravanclub. co. uk/shop-and-offers/member-offers/sentinel-alarm. It it self contained and battery operated. It does not have a siren (which nobody takes any notice of) instead it sends an SMS alaert to your mobile - at that point you can remotely either 'listen in' access the GPS coordinates of the vehicle - or if you know it is a false alarm send the alarm back to 'sleep'. Unit is armed and disarmed by the proximity of the key fob to the vehicle.

Im pretty pleased with this little device - I was ready to put a traditional alarm in but this suits me better.

Another fob is just a pain to me.

Edited by xtrailman

Russ

Ours works in conjunction with the Phantom tracker so no issues there.

I decided not to fit an alarm in my S3 Cadiz as it would take quite a number of years to recover the cost by way of reduced insurance premiums and of late I have only kept my caravans for just over two years.

Similarly I do not subscribe to Tracker as I probably would not want the van back after some no good waste of space had stolen it and again the cost is greater than the increase in insurance premium.

Bob

I decided not to fit an alarm in my S3 Cadiz as it would take quite a number of years to recover the cost by way of reduced insurance premiums and of late I have only kept my caravans for just over two years.

Similarly I do not subscribe to Tracker as I probably would not want the van back after some no good waste of space had stolen it and again the cost is greater than the increase in insurance premium.

Bob

Tracker and Phantom Tracker are two different companies. With the latter you are notified immediately the caravan is moved and the caravan can be traced prior to some low life either using it or stripping it.

Another vote for the Keen.

There's a fuse inside the PDU that's for the alarm, and you can pick up power and earth in there. You need the JST terminals for the connectors though.

Bob

I'm in the same camp.

Though if I had to have an alarm, my experience of the IDM4 in my senator was excellent. WIth its own onboard battery it was perfect - I could even take the leisure battery out.