Dealer Trade-In Process

cma

Having never bought a new van with a trade in before just wondering what the process was for the dealers with trade in values?

Do they offer a trade in value when you buy the van and honour that? Or do you need to take the van to them for appraisal?

Do they still honour the value when you go to collect the new van or do they start bartering there trying to knock the trade in price down more before you hand over?

Any tips or advice on what they may also try at this point welcome.

I recently part exchanged my caravan. I described my caravan, truthfully, he made an offer subject to

seeing it. When he saw my caravan, he stood by his offer, and the deal was done.

But I know they will moderate their price dependent on overall condition.

The process can vary, but you cannot expect a firm price before they see the old van. A good dealer will only make adjustments for damage which is genuinely there but you did not tell them about! Read the small print in the contract and make sure you have the right to cancel the deal with your deposit back if you cannot agree the final trade in price. Be ready for some adjustment though, if they are going to be fair to the new buyer of your old van they need to be sure that they spot everything wrong with it.

As long as you are honest about your van,s condition they will stand by their offer. The main reason for a de valuation is if it is found to have damp. A damp check has been done on all my PX,s on day of exchange. the dealer in all cases honoured their Quote

We have PX’d a few vans now the last 2 were done at the NEC shows. Our experience of this was we were honest with the condition of the van told them what extras had been added, if the value did not include these extras then if possible they were removed. The price we were quoted was what we got (it pays to be honest as they will reduce if they find damp, damage or broken items that you have not declared). Our last van had to be presented as we bought it which meant we had to leave the bowl in the sink and had to buy a new one for the new one, which I did think a little petty. I even removed the mover off the last one as the dealer was so adamant it should be as we bought it, which was less the mover, I sold it for £350 to a mate.

We had to present the van to the dealer on the day of trade in and it went into the workshop for checks on damp and damage which as we declared it was dry and they found nothing all went as we had planned.

If you have a mover on and they have not offered anything for it you can negotiate it being swapped over in the PX price like we did on one of our buys.

When you do PX make sure you have checked everything first before you pay up best to have the money in your hands and get anything sorted before you leave.

Past 2 vans we haven't had to take it in, but I deal with the same sales person we have done for years, who says to me that he always gets a good quality van from us.

all depends upon what dealer you are talking to. Don't forget to play things off one another dealer as the values will vary significantly .

Past 2 vans we haven't had to take it in, but I deal with the same sales person we have done for years, who says to me that he always gets a good quality van from us.

Same . .. had countless 'vans from the same dealer . .. they know they are getting a good van back.

Several years ago I had arranged an P/X however three weeks before the handover I had an accident, damaging the side of the van (the repair cost £2500). The insurance company allowed the dealer to do the repair and I still got the same deal because the dealer was happy that he had control over how the repair was to be carried out.

I just drove in the damaged van and drove out with the brand new shiny one. It cost me £100 insurance excess, I never saw the repaired van.