Satellite Question

klyne

On our motorhome we have a Mecatronic automatic 85cms dish which we have found excellent. However I am puzzled by a couple of things. Firstly ITV HD London which we have at home on our terrestrial TV but no signal with the satellite although we can get other ITV 1 HD channels. When we were in the South of France we lost all normal UK programmes. Not surprised by that as we were at the outer limits of the footprint. However when I tried to tune into Astra 19E so I could watch the Grand Prix the satellite dish could find that satellite. Our German neighbour had no problems although his equipment looked a bit on the old side. Any of you satellite buffs any suggestions. Should perhaps add that I am using an Avtex TV with built in FTA receiver.

Thanks

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

However I am puzzled by a couple of things. Firstly ITV HD London which we have at home on our terrestrial TV but no signal with the satellite although we can get other ITV 1 HD channels.

Perhaps you were using an old ITV1 London frequency?

If you can get "other ITV1 HD channels", including ITV 1 HD Meridian East, ITV 1 HD Central West, then there should be no problems with ITV1 HD London, as it is on the same frequency as those two ITV1HD regions.(11097 V 23000-2/3 8PSK)

Also note that reception of all frequencies is not the same, so although you may get some ITV1 HD regions on some frequencies, other frequencies may be too weak for your location. Eg some may be vertical polarisation, others horizontal.

When we were in the South of France we lost all normal UK programmes. Not surprised by that as we were at the outer limits of the footprint. However when I tried to tune into Astra 19E so I could watch the Grand Prix the satellite dish could find that satellite. Our German neighbour had no problems although his equipment looked a bit on the old side. Any of you satellite buffs any suggestions

The Astra 1 group of satellites at 19 east has a very wide pan European signal, so nice and easy for reception on small dishes across Europe.

The UK beam of the Astra 2 UK TV satellites is not as generous in Europe, so larger dishes are required.

Edited by satandpcguy

Hi

I've just bought an Avtex TV, so I have a question for you!

Can you actually use the satellite decoder in the TV for Hotbird, Astra1 and other satellites or is it geared up only for Astra2?

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

if the dish is big enough to pull in signal, i seem to be able to get two of the astra signals 19. 2 and 28. 2

When we were in the South of France we lost all normal UK programmes. Not surprised by that as we were at the outer limits of the footprint. However when I tried to tune into Astra 19E so I could watch the Grand Prix the satellite dish could find that satellite. Our German neighbour had no problems although his equipment looked a bit on the old side. Any of you satellite buffs any suggestions. Should perhaps add that I am using an Avtex TV with built in FTA receiver.

Thanks

David

You need to select Astra 1 on the tuner pick up the signal using a finder then tune in the programs, then select RTL Austria or the German one that has the GP, do beware that Canal will also show the GP but cut to encryption the moment the lights go out

Edited by Guest

Hi

I've just bought an Avtex TV, so I have a question for you!

Can you actually use the satellite decoder in the TV for Hotbird, Astra1 and other satellites or is it geared up only for Astra2?

Russ

Russ

The satellite dish has a controller where you can scroll through the various satellites and once set and locked on to the chosen satellite you go into the menu on the Avtex and select the satellite (Hotbird etc) you want to tune into. I am pretty sure I was able to tune into Hotbird OK. It was just Astra 19e I had trouble with.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

David, from your posts it seems you have a built in system on your MH. only a set top box or TV has the options of choosing satellites, the dish can only be trained and elevated, Astra1 is only 10deg right of Astra 2, if you can get Astra2 then Astra1 needs no elevation change unless for fine tuning. Should you not have used Astra1 or never used it it is worth completing a retune, I carried out a retune on mine in Serignan in September and it doubled the number of channels available including RTL which was missing even with its multitude of channels

David, from your posts it seems you have a built in system on your MH. only a set top box or TV has the options of choosing satellites, the dish can only be trained and elevated, Astra1 is only 10deg right of Astra 2, if you can get Astra2 then Astra1 needs no elevation change unless for fine tuning. Should you not have used Astra1 or never used it it is worth completing a retune, I carried out a retune on mine in Serignan in September and it doubled the number of channels available including RTL which was missing even with its multitude of channels

I must admit to being something of a novice at working the system. RoadPro set it all up and until we got to the South of France I had not reason to interfere with it. The built in system has a controller (see picture below) on which you select the satellite you want, the dish then whirls away until it finds a signal and then locks on and the controller screen confirms that it has been found. Normally this is the UK Astra2 28. 2 and because its been in use you automatically get a picture. However if its a satellite you have not use before you select it on the controller and then go to the Avtex to tune all the available channels.

David

SatelliteControl.jpg

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

David, It may be possible if you have never used Astra1 that the the transponder it uses to align has shut down, if this is the case then to tune in you may have to manually slew the dish, or that the 10deg to the right of Astra2 was blanketed buy an obstruction.