Mould Stains In Silicone

Lozzyf

After cleaning the van yesterday the silicone on one side of the roof where the side panel joins has got blue/ black marks that won't just rub out ( similar to bathroom mould) I have some dettol mould n mildew remover, can I use this?

Yo Lozzie,

Is we all talking silicone or mastic here??

Its unusual to find a silicone rubber on the outside of the van.

However, lets presume it is mastic. You could try as you suggested. It certainly won't do any harm.

I have dabbed bleach straight from the bottle before and that has worked after a few applications. If you do use bleach then use the thick stuff and not the El Cheapo. (Here we go again) :D

Your humble servant

Pete

Yo Lozzie,

However, lets presume it is mastic. You could try as you suggested. It certainly won't do any harm.

I have dabbed bleach straight from the bottle before and that has worked after a few applications. If you do use bleach then use the thick stuff and not the El Cheapo. (Here we go again) :D

Your humble servant

Pete

Non il valore basso schifo!!!! . . Got it

I'll get out there pronto ( noooo I didn't say that!!!)

Yo Lozzie,

Your humble servant

Pete

Can mastic be clear then?

Lets be clear, mould is caused by the person applying it, wetting their finger with spit, this bacteria then grows into mould.

TOP TIP always have some washing up liquid handy, it always lubricates properly and will not allow mould to grow. ......Peter

Errr - clear ???? . I am going to test you here. Can you post a photo please?

Once you have a pic on your PC then click More reply options and attach the pic.

Pete

Lets be clear, mould is caused by the person applying it, wetting their finger with spit, this bacteria then grows into mould.

TOP TIP always have some washing up liquid handy, it always lubricates properly and will not allow mould to grow. ......Peter

Baby wipes are good to help apply too

Well done in posting the pics.

THAT has me puzzled. I have never seen that type of silicone / mastic or whatever it is. Perhaps someone else can identify it cause I can't. Sorry. :blink:

The bubbled section is strange too.

One thing I could say though. If it ain't letting in water - leave it alone. ;)

Pete

Well done in posting the pics.

THAT has me puzzled. I have never seen that type of silicone / mastic or whatever it is. Perhaps someone else can identify it cause I can't. Sorry. :blink:

The bubbled section is strange too.

One thing I could say though. If it ain't letting in water - leave it alone. ;)

Pete

The bubbling is mould spray pete . . . I gave it a go but it didn't seem to touch it

Looks very much like the stuff they use around the frames of double glazed windows. Possible some sort of decorators caulk - if it is, once it goes black it stays that way.

Just what it`s doing on a caravan if that is what it is - well that`s anyones guess.

Looks very much like the stuff they use around the frames of double glazed windows. Possible some sort of decorators caulk - if it is, once it goes black it stays that way.

Just what it`s doing on a caravan if that is what it is - well that`s anyones guess.

The caravan is only just over twelve months old?!! Were the second owners tho

I have just been on the swift site and it's a common problem. . . . And as you said if it ain't broken don't fix it !

It can be done at the next service

Edited by Lozzyf

It can be done at the next service

The only way for it to be 'done' is to remove the old black and replace it with new. :(

Expensive and hope its done by someone who does the job properly.

Can che dorme ;)

The only way for it to be 'done' is to remove the old black and replace it with new. :(

Can che dorme ;)

Yeah we will get lowdhams to do it, then we can kick up if there is a problem. . .

. . . I'm not sure, is that just cosmetic or is that the actual seal?

Can che dorme ;)

Pete, if my dogs slept I wouldn't be up a "silly o'clock" posting on this forum!!!!!!

The Swift reps are saying take the caravan to a dealer for reseal as it should not be going mouldy, quite a few on Swift Talk got the same problems with nearly new vans,new hat on earth is happening with today's sealants.

Jim

. . . I'm not sure, is that just cosmetic or is that the actual seal?

Without seeing it properly is hard to say.

If you have no water ingress then it could be cosmetic, but get it checked out just in case.

Do any Swift owners report any water ingress?

Pete

Without seeing it properly is hard to say.

If you have no water ingress then it could be cosmetic, but get it checked out just in case.

Do any Swift owners report any water ingress?

Pete

Not at all it's just unsightly . . We've only just had it serviced at the dealers so I'm tempted to leave it till it goes in again. .