Internet

Good morning, planning my trip to spain for the winter when everything is bought and sorted,,could anybody tell me the best way to get internet connection while travelling,staying abroad etc and how to sort out a tv etc,,( i am a bit of a technophobe! ),,,many thanks. .

If you are staying on campsites most seem to have WiFi access these days. sometimes free sometime chargeable. The alternative, if you have a smart phone which you can use as a portable WiFi point, is to use mobile data. In the past this has been prohibitively expensive but the EU have been forcing prices down so many networks have good value offers which would provide cover when there is no WiFi available. Networks like Three allow you to use your UK data allowance in certain countries in Europe. Other networks allow you to do the same but make a daily fee which for any length of stay could add up. TV is more uncertain as it will depend on having a fairly large satellite dish or relying on TV hook ups on sites you use. If you have a good internet connect you can use something called FilmOn which allows you to watch UK Tv on your laptop/tablet.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

• 2 months later...

If you have a sky box take that with a 1m dish and you will get all sky programs on European Astra beam, but no longer can you get itv or BBC channels. To get those you use the camp WiFi on laptop with hdmi cable into tv set and tune into filmontv and you get loads of channels in SD not HD. I pay 20 Euros a month for WiFi and all soaps then sky hd box for rest. Stay for 6 winter months and save loads on heating food and drink. Enjoy. Hope that helps.

For Internet connection you want to consider a small MiFi unit, using a "3' network SIM, as both France and Spain are included in their "feel at home" package, meaning you pay the same as you would in the UK. As long as there is a signal you get a personal WiFi hotspot which up to 5 of you can use at the same time.

I would think that that would be very expensive for the amount of data you use to watch tv and the monthly SIM data charge! Spain is 9 Euros for 1Gb for 1 month, but that would last for 1hour of normal tv, typically half hour soap is 500Mb. But not familiar with Mifi please explain?

If you go to S. Spain, park outside my daughters house in Andalucía and you'll get WIFI for free - no password. :) :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I would think that that would be very expensive for the amount of data you use to watch tv and the monthly SIM data charge! Spain is 9 Euros for 1Gb for 1 month, but that would last for 1hour of normal tv, typically half hour soap is 500Mb. But not familiar with Mifi please explain?

Mifi is a small phone like gadget that you put a sim card in and use to get broadband for your tablet or laptop. The sim card is a data only card and comes in multiples of different data packages. ie; 1,5 10,15,20 gigs per month or year. You then use the data allowance to download E mails or surf the net etc as you would at home. 3 mobile have a system called feel at home which allows you to use the data you have on the sim card in most European countries as you would at home in UK. They have links with various mobile companies in these other countries and as long as you can get a signal from that mobile company you can use your Mifi. You don't pay any extra as long as you only use the data you have paid for on your 3 contract. You can use a monthly rolling contract with 3 and if you want more data you can up it per month and then alter when you return to UK. I think they have a limit of 25 gigs per month when abroad but I am not sure . It would be best to enquire with 3. The Mifi machine can be bought separately off amazon etc as long as it is not locked to a certain provider and then any sim can be used. Typical cost of these mifi's are from about £35 upwards for a 3G mifi or as mine is a 3 and 4 g machine it was £75. This is then yours and can be used as long as it remains useable. (Like anything electrical they can break down) 4g gives you faster download than 3g . This means that wherever you are even in the car you can access the internet via the Mifi as long as you are in contact with the mobile provider just like a mobile phone.

Edited by pagan8c

For Internet connection you want to consider a small MiFi unit, using a "3' network SIM, as both France and Spain are included in their "feel at home" package, meaning you pay the same as you would in the UK. As long as there is a signal you get a personal WiFi hotspot which up to 5 of you can use at the same time.

Be aware that officially H3G (as it is known in the business - Hutchison 3G) only allow tethering and/or data on contract SIMs. They don't allow it on PAYG, plus you have to covert PAYG to a bundle to use it abroad even on a phone and said bundle only lasts 30 days from first use.

You will have difficulty finding any SP that permits tethering (which is technically what a mi-fi is) on PAYG. You may be better to get a local data only SIM once you find which SP provides the best signal cover for your location.

Wonder if the OP is reading this? He's probably in Spain now with no WiFi lol. Seems the mifi option would be expensive! Some sites offer WiFi free with site fees and others are cheaper than mifi with unlimited data download. I pay 16 Euros a month.

Be aware that officially H3G (as it is known in the business - Hutchison 3G) only allow tethering and/or data on contract SIMs. They don't allow it on PAYG, plus you have to covert PAYG to a bundle to use it abroad even on a phone and said bundle only lasts 30 days from first use.

You will have difficulty finding any SP that permits tethering (which is technically what a mi-fi is) on PAYG. You may be better to get a local data only SIM once you find which SP provides the best signal cover for your location.

Mifi is not PAYG with a monthly rolling contract data sim so you can tether . Also you can use a payg data sim to tether as that is what it is for.

OP not been on CT since 21st Oct 2015 so we are maybe just talking amongst ourselves.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Another thumbs up for THREE

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Mifi is not PAYG with a monthly rolling contract data sim so you can tether . Also you can use a payg data sim to tether as that is what it is for.

I would question that. When I have asked 3 they have always said if I use a PAYG data SIM it is only for the likes of a tablet or iPad, not for a mi-fi.

I would question that. When I have asked 3 they have always said if I use a PAYG data SIM it is only for the likes of a tablet or iPad, not for a mi-fi.

I've never asked the question but haven't had a problem with using a PAYG data SIM in a MiFi. The only issue has sometimes been heavy congestion in some locations making it effectively unusable.

Steve

I used a pay data sim in my mifi for about a year and then decided to go with the monthly rolling contract as you get more for your money. I never had any problems with the use of the payg in my mifi and used it to surf on my tablet and laptop and my wife used hers tablet at the same time.

Not true with my Mifi - I buy PAYG Sims and have topped them up abroad - no need to buy bundles, that's for mobile phone PAYG. Have used my Mifi in the Baltic countries, Switzerland, France & Hong Kong. It's been brilliant and I also use it in the UK.

I actually bought my PAYG "3" Mifi unit direct from the company online and it came with a PAYG data Sim, Have since had it unlocked (by "3" for free), and have used Vodafone & EE data Sims.

Edited by Glen and Les

Not true with my Mifi - I buy PAYG Sims and have topped them up abroad - no need to buy bundles, that's for mobile phone PAYG. Have used my Mifi in the Baltic countries, Switzerland, France & Hong Kong. It's been brilliant and I also use it in the UK.

I actually bought my PAYG "3" Mifi unit direct from the company online and it came with a PAYG data Sim, Have since had it unlocked (by "3" for free), and have used Vodafone & EE data Sims.

For the record everything that 3 now sell is unlocked.

I've never asked the question but haven't had a problem with using a PAYG data SIM in a MiFi. The only issue has sometimes been heavy congestion in some locations making it effectively unusable.

Steve

+ be aware that when compared to other MNOs, Three do throttle their SIMs when "roaming like at home". Wouldn't have any impact for web browsing, but I've seen direct comparisons with other operators where video content buffers significantly from a Three handset.

+ be aware that when compared to other MNOs, Three do throttle their SIMs when "roaming like at home". Wouldn't have any impact for web browsing, but I've seen direct comparisons with other operators where video content buffers significantly from a Three handset.

I don't watch Internet video while away. In my case the problem occurs with any traffic. The last time was in Lincolnshire last year. I don't suppose it's relevant but it never happened with a 3 month SIM in place.

Steve

Steve

It's seems more likely that throttling is used where a 'foreign' SP is connected in another country and Three mention this in their T&Cs.

It's seems more likely that throttling is used where a 'foreign' SP is connected in another country and Three mention this in their T&Cs.

Sort of depending on your definition of foreign SP. They loop the data back through their UK proxy. As far as I know, that's whenever you're roaming, so if you're e. g. using a Three subsidiary overseas, it'll still loop back via UK.

Interesting that they mention it in their T&Cs. ...they were denying doing it for a good while.