Sign in to follow this  
Nielsen Sussex

Inflatable Leveling Pads, Any Good?

Lock n level?

Yes. I've got a twin axle so use one every time to fit both alko wheel locks. I've only used it to actually level van twice (if it's level, after fitting locks I deflate and leave "empty" under wheels), but it did the job fine.

Yep. We have a Lock 'n Level for our twin axle and it works a treat! Worth every penny!

They are brilliant. Never been so easy to level the van!

What is their max lift? Does't look very high! How do they fare on stoney ground?

• Like 1

Anyone ever had one leak on them?

What concerns me is you pump it up to level the van, then put your steadies down. ...then over a few days the air leaks out leaving the weight of the van supported on the steadies. ..which we all know is a bad idea and can lead to some serious chassis damage.

Also, it's an air bag, air is compressable, bit like what is used for suspension on buses etc, is it going to feel 'spongy' when you walk around the van?

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield
  • Like 1

No leak yet, parked mainly on gravel & mine have been under the wheels (deflated, use them to fit locks) fairly constantly for 10 months now - probably inflated/deflated approx 60-70 times. Given the quality of materials I doubt they'll leak.

On TA version, it's failsafe as there's 2 interlinked chambers that can be isolated, so worst case is one fails & you're left perched on 3 wheels & the steadies. Funny how people fret about this, and not about extra load on steadies if e. g. you had a flat tyre when on site.

No bounce so long as you're central onto the LnL.

It's worth putting a mat under and on top of the Lock n' Level as it does get marked by stones.

Not had a leak though,no bounce either although that could be fun in certain circumstances :wub: .

Ian

• Like 3

Only used mine twice so far (single axle).

Makes fitting the Alko lock simple, and is much easier than the Milenco leveller.

I put old car mats under and over the airbag - extra insurance against sharp stones and keeps the airbag nice and clean.

No bounciness either.

I use a cycle pit pump to inflate, which doesn't require much effort.

Only used mine twice so far (single axle).

Makes fitting the Alko lock simple, and is much easier than the Milenco leveller.

I put old car mats under and over the airbag - extra insurance against sharp stones and keeps the airbag nice and clean.

No bounciness either.

I can see how it must be easy to level the van after the wheel lock has been fitted but please could you explain how the lock and level makes it easier to fit the lock. I can't see how it makes any difference.

Click the link and watch the Video

http://www. locknlevel. co. uk/video_gallery. php?ptyp=SNGL

I didn't mean that fitting the lock is easier, but raising the caravan takes much less effort than the Milenco offering (in my experience).

Edited by Desmo904

So how long does it take to achieve typical inflation? Given all the other things we do to set up out outfits, I didn't want to be getting out the electric tyre inflator from the car, running the power cable, then putting this all away again

So how long does it take to achieve typical inflation? Given all the other things we do to set up out outfits, I didn't want to be getting out the electric tyre inflator from the car, running the power cable, then putting this all away again

Which is why I use a manual pump. Takes around a minute to pump up to full height which is 4. 5" to 5"

As you can see they're excellent with no negatives as said above, pics of max lift below, you can also put it on top of a plank for an extra couple of inches lift

post-55551-0-72172500-1444514973_thumb.jpeg

post-55551-0-06400500-1444515007_thumb.jpeg

post-55551-0-34999800-1444515038_thumb.jpeg

Which is why I use a manual pump. Takes around a minute to pump up to full height which is 4. 5" to 5"

Thank you

• Like 1

(removed), wouldn't fancy raising my 1800kg van with a cycle pump. 12v tyre inflator every time for me. ..

Every engineering bone in my body is saying it's just not right supporting a weight using pneumatics but I must admit the more folk post up on here the more I'm coming round to the idea, the main concern I have is a leak but I guess the risk is no more than having a leak on a tyre. ... Might have to put one on my Christmas list.

Rog.

• Like 1

We connect our electric pump to the caravan's 12v system which is just inside the door.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Every engineering bone in my body is saying it's just not right supporting a weight using pneumatics but I must admit the more folk post up on here the more I'm coming round to the idea, the main concern I have is a leak but I guess the risk is no more than having a leak on a tyre. ... Might have to put one on my Christmas list.

Rog.

I can understand this. However, I had to change the front air springs on my 2006 X5 just before setting off to France, and it is, I guess, a similar system - basically a fabric tube sealed at one end with a pretty lightweight inflation port, and the other sealed to the suspension damper by two substantial o-rings. It just doesn't seem like it would ever seal or be reliable, but it does both. Still I'm not going for the lnl yet, I want to see how I can get on with using the motor mover and ramps, on the van we collect next weekend, although the ability to fit the second wheel lock is useful.

(removed), wouldn't fancy raising my 1800kg van with a cycle pump. 12v tyre inflator every time for me. ..

My van's 1600Kg and I could probably do it one handed. Maybe 200Kg heavier I'd use both hands.

• Like 1

Rog.

I know what you mean but you can also think about salvage bags used to shift large barges and the air bags emergency services use to raise vehicles.

I did consider leaving the Kojack under "just in case" but decided on balance that just closing the balance valve and leaving the two bags isolated was good enough.

Ours has been up for periods of four weeks at a time with no air loss.

Hello,

My name is Derek and I’m a partner in Lock’n’Level.

I own an Elddis Crusader Storm (1800 kg). At that weight I can lift the caravan about 3” on less than 10 psi. With 16 psi in it the Lock’n’Level will it lift over 6”. Almost any 12volt car tyre pump will be able to handle these low pressures. The maximum pressure you can use is 30 psi. The time needed to fit both Alko locks and inflate will depend on both the height needed and the capacity of the air pump. With practice this will take about 6 mins.

If you need to use a Lock’n’Level to change a wheel or fit the second lock the pressure required to do this is about 20-22 psi.

Once inflated to the height needed, the balance valve should be left in the ‘off’ position to isolate one side from the other. The pressure should be noted then checked weekly. If necessary the pressure should be topped-up. The typical pressure loss in a Lock’n’Level is less than 1 psi per month.

As mentioned above, you must use a mat under the Lock’n’Level when using it on ‘stony ground’ or hard standing to prevent damage and scuffing.

I hope I’ve been able to answer all the queries above but if not please ask and I’ll try to answer a. s. a. p.

Derek

• Like 5

Cheers for your post Derek, I must admit I'm coming round to the idea, I've had a good look on the interweb and can't find anyone having any problems with them.

Out of interest have you had any reports of leaks at all?

Also, what's the chance of a bit of CT discount? ;)

Rog.

• Like 2

My van's 1600Kg and I could probably do it one handed. Maybe 200Kg heavier I'd use both hands.

I think that some folk don't realise how feeble the 12v pumps are (and how good the bike ones have got)

Takes my 12v one about 45 seconds, plugged into accessory socket in boot of Disco parked alongside van. I'm not lazy enough to use a drill to wind down the steadies, but I'm not about to start faffing about using a bike pump to inflate something the size of a TA LnL (off the top of my head approx 8 inches width x 4-5 ft length) when there's a perfectly good inflator plugged in the boot anyway.