Sign in to follow this  
Woodie106

Who Pays For This One

Can I ask Grandpa Steve why you liked the video of someone nearly killing themselves cycling into the back of a car ?

GAS . .... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Can I ask Grandpa Steve why you liked the video of someone nearly killing themselves cycling into the back of a car ?

GAS . .... :rolleyes:

Because it shows how self absorbed, selfish and stupid some people can be.

It could have been a Red light he missed and got taken out by crossing traffic, he could have mowed down a pedestrian on a crossing.

Cyclists are great a bleating on about how inconsiderate motorists are to them, this video demonstrates it is not always the motorist that is to blame.

What amazes me is that many of these cyclist flip a switch and go back to being observant considerate motorists.

^^^^^ isn't it obvious, its funny as^^^^^ in a humorous way of course.

• Like 1

Friend of mine doing exactly as in the video, head down, not looking ahead, got too close to the kerb and his shoulder hit the edge of a road sign which was very close to the edge of the road.

The impact threw him off into oncoming traffic which managed to avoid him but it did bad things to his shoulder joint.

He was lucky.

Because it shows how self absorbed, selfish and stupid some people can be.

It could have been a Red light he missed and got taken out by crossing traffic, he could have mowed down a pedestrian on a crossing.

Cyclists are great a bleating on about how inconsiderate motorists are to them, this video demonstrates it is not always the motorist that is to blame.

What amazes me is that many of these cyclist flip a switch and go back to being observant considerate motorists.

Maybe the reason why they bleat and moan is because of the self absorbed,selfish and stupid car drivers every time a considerate law abiding cyclist goes out on the road. Abused by idiotic brain dead drivers who look at cyclists as a hazard rather than another road user. I personally have been verbaly abused, giving the royal salute for no reason what so ever and don't ask how many times I have been forced onto the kerb by drivers who don't even know the width of their own vehicle. My fellow Pedal Pal a solo cyclist was even spat at in the posh Glasgow suburbs of Milngavie. Like most law abiding cyclists I'm proficient and considerate whilst on the road, can be seen and do my upmost to be safe and I also give a jolly thumbs up when a FELLOW ROAD USER not ABUSER has been considerate to my safety.

Agreed there is a minority out there like in all walks of life that are Clowns on their Steeds but do not tarnish the Good Guys with the same brush and I have met the odd velcro clad clown doing himself no favours but there is a bigger majority of clowns behind the wheel who think they know it all and know HEE HAW. 109 cyclists killed last year, 2,867 seriously injured on our roads. Disgraceful and when a motorist does get found guilty some get a 5 year BAN and 15 months for killing somebody !! Wonder how many idiotic drivers drove into the back of a car today ? Seen two on my way home from work only last night on M74. Each to their own when it comes to humour but to find someones misfortune funny is beyond me. ... Feel better for that now Gramps :P. .. Time to go on the Night Shift to Save Life and Property with the odd game of TT of course . ..

GAS . ......... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Motorist, cyclist, whoever - if the cap fits ;)

The car driver could sue the cyclist, if uninsured, but that seems a bit mean so it is likely that the car driver's insurance will pay and it will have to be a claim.

Why is it "a bit mean" to expect someone who has damaged your property to pay for the damage ? I really don't get today's attitude.

• Like 1

I would be looking to the cyclist to cover this, either from insurance or through the courts.

You can bet you dinner on it that had it been the driver at fault the cyclist would be looking for the same.

Assuming that the cyclist survived being hit from behind by a car, many do not.

In my humble the cyclist should pay up.

Most of the cycle haters I know are very poor road users, with extremely short tempers when behind the wheel. Not a good combination when in charge of a killing machine.

Of course it helps to remember we have up to a million uninsured motorized vehicles on our roads.

Edited by screenman
  • Like 2

Who pays? The person who caused the problem, in this case, the cyclist.

This subject evokes the same strong opinions as dogs on CC sites and never the twain shall meet. I must admit, that with the volume of cyclists on the roads now, I would like some form of insurance introduced. Just like car drivers, cyclists can sometimes make mistakes too!

Everyone using the road whether it be motorist, motorcyclist or pedal cyclists should have some form of insurance to cover damages to third parties. My gripe is with the cyclists who think it is fine to fly along the footpath expecting pedestrians to hear them or see them coming from behind. When it is young children then it is fair enough as it would be dangerous for them on the road but not older youths or adults who should know better.

Physical violence NO---Citizens arrest Yes.

As someone who also rode into the back of a car*, I would expect the cyclist to foot the bill.

If he is a member of the CTC, or a Cycling Club, he should have 3rd Party cover as part of his membership.

* 1971, while racing in a Time Trial, hit the open boot lid of a Hillman Hunter which had stopped on a clear way to fix a puncture. It had been pouring down then low sun so my vision was restricted by the glare off the wet road. Still bear the scar from where my head hit the boot lid at twenty-odd miles an hour. There was no damage to the car as they knew how to build them in those days, but my quite expensive racing bike ended up with bent forks and buckled wheel.

Trouble is many on here confuse thugs on bikes with genuine law abiding cyclist. Much the same way as non vanners think about vanners, but of course we all know how stupid their opinions are, don't we.

• Like 1

Trouble is many on here confuse thugs on bikes with genuine law abiding cyclist. Much the same way as non vanners think about vanners, but of course we all know how stupid their opinions are, don't we.

Could these be fitted with yellow flashing lights, please?

Could these be fitted with yellow flashing lights, please?

Why? Surely any intelligent person will know the difference.

What we need is more law enforcement, and if anyone says we do not have enough police then I ask you to see how many we had 40 years ago when the beats were covered.

Everyone using the road whether it be motorist, motorcyclist or pedal cyclists should have some form of insurance to cover damages to third parties. My gripe is with the cyclists who think it is fine to fly along the footpath expecting pedestrians to hear them or see them coming from behind. When it is young children then it is fair enough as it would be dangerous for them on the road but not older youths or adults who should know better.

So pedestrians too then?

Or are you conveniently drawing a line where out fits your own views?

---------

The level of animosity shown towards cyclists on this thread is genuinely worrying.

I just don't get it.

With very few exceptions, cyclists cause very few delays or injuries to motorists, yet they get singled out for abuse.

What reason?

Edited by AlfaEuropa
  • Like 1

So pedestrians too then?

Or are you conveniently drawing a line where out fits your own views?

I think as a pedestrian I may have some cover in my house insurance. I was referring to road users not footpath users. As car drivers need insurance then why not cyclists who also use the roadway or should do (not the footpath) ?

I think as a pedestrian I may have some cover in my house insurance. I was referring to road users not footpath users. As car drivers need insurance then why not cyclists who also use the roadway or should do (not the footpath) ?

Same cover for a cyclist then?

Pedestrians use roads and cause accidents. So why not them too?

Cyclists might argue that there was no need for insurance until the cars came along and started killing people and causing expensive damage.

They might add that cycling is accessible to all, kids, elderly, penniless. Why penalise them off the road?

When i was working in London i used to drive in frequently. I had to change my route to avoid a junction along Jamaica road as i feared i would kill a cyclist as without fail they would cut across me & i would get shouted at & abused by them even though i clearly had right of way.

I dont know that many of you will know south east London, but as you come to the end of Jamaica road, if you are in a car you have to bear left on to Druid st. The left hand lane is a bus lane

, which the cyclists use, but as i bear left this bus lane ends in a give way double broken line. It is traffic light controlled & any bus coming along triggers the light for me to red & then green for the bus who can carry straight on in to Tooley st. Unfortunately a bicycle doesn't trigger that light, so i have a green to go & can bear left across the end of the bus lane. Just about every morning at least one cyclist sails on through both the red light & the give way signs straight across my path. Some believe they have the right to do this as they are on a bike - i know this as they told me so in no uncertain terms. I always ask do you know what give way means?

Get fed up after a while & changed my route in as one - i didn't want to harm anyone. Two - i wouldn't want it on my concience if i had & three - i was sick of being shouted at even though i had done nothing wrong.

• Like 1

Cyclists might argue that there was no need for insurance until the cars came along and started killing people and causing expensive damage.

They might add that cycling is accessible to all, kids, elderly, penniless. Why penalise them off the road?

You win I can see I am wasting my time.

You win I can see I am wasting my time.

Cheers. How refreshing.

You could argue that cyclist's have always needed cover as they, too, can cause "expensive damage" - some of those who use the Tarka Trail could easily kill someone the speed they ride at on what is a route for walkers as well.

Are you advocating that the elderly ride bikes - the word elderly conjures up some one wobbling all over the place :o

And where do the penniless get their bikes from ?

Why? Surely any intelligent person will know the difference.

What we need is more law enforcement, and if anyone says we do not have enough police then I ask you to see how many we had 40 years ago when the beats were covered.

I think you're on to a loser there!

• Like 1

You could argue that cyclist's have always needed cover as they, too, can cause "expensive damage" - some of those who use the Tarka Trail could easily kill someone the speed they ride at on what is a route for walkers as well.

Are you advocating that the elderly ride bikes - the word elderly conjures up some one wobbling all over the place :o

And where do the penniless get their bikes from ?

You could argue that. You could argue the same for pedestrians too. You could note that vehicle insurance has been compulsory since 1930 and that up until that point (in the time of horses, bikes and pedestrians), it seems to have not been needed.

I would be 100% behind any case where a cyclist was sued for killing/injuring a walker on a shared off-road trail. Indeed, if I partook in such sports regularly where that was a genuine risk, I would probably take out my own insurance (just the same as if I went jet-skiing or did Motorsport). As it is, I occasionally ride some trails but find that it's possible to do so in an entirely safe way. If I want to scare myself, I go on a dedicated bike trail, though tbh, my skills are lacking and last time I tried anything too fancy I ended up in hospital :rolleyes:

I am advocating that the elderly ride. There are those out there that don't hold driving licenses but still use a bike. Teenagers can ride bikes on the road too.

The penniless can pick up bikes for free (legally) in many ways. There are those who might not be destitute but can't afford the minimum annual motoring costs of approx. £1000. A bike for £20 - £500 makes a very sound investment.

It seems that some motorists have forgotten that roads aren't solely for them. They may be the majority but they need to accommodate other users too.

• Like 2

It is estimated that app 1/3 of the population cycles,in excess of 21 million

Seems like a few posters have a vested interest in ins companies!

What should happen is the motorist clams off their insurance, if the ins company wishes to they can persue the cyclist through the courts to reclaim their costs and the motorist, if they have legal cover on ther policy,can claim for their uninsured losses.

knarf

Sign in to follow this