Who Pays For This One

Driving home from Gt. Ormond St hospital yesterday we saw an accident involving a car & a cyclist. Now this was not the usual car knocking a cyclist over by any means. We were in traffic at a busy junction & the car stopped at the back of the queue for the traffic lights that were a couple of hundred yards further down the road. The cyclist on the other hand, head down not looking where he was going didn't stop until that was, he slammed in to the back of her car.

Its surprising how much damage a person can do to a car. He smashed the back window & put a big dent in the tailgate - i would think the car - a megane scenic - will need an entire new tailgate.

The cyclist seemed to be ok. Lots of people rushed over & picked him up.

So, as the cyclist is highly unlikely to have been insured, who gets to pick up the tab for that one?

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit mean!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? Some Lycra clad retard drives straight into you and trashes your car and sueing them is a bit mean?? I bet the attitude would be different if it was a car driver not p

This thread was about a cyclist hitting a car through their own fault (post #1) and who pays for the damage.   Too much thread drift, not about motorists causing damage to cyclists. ...another top

Maybe the reason why they bleat and moan is because of the self absorbed,selfish and stupid car drivers every time a considerate law abiding cyclist goes out on the road. Abused by idiotic brain dea

That would probably depend on the insurance on the household policy, many household insurances cover this, if not small claims court, then High court writ and the bailifs, and outlay of about £100 to get your money back. may also come under non insured driver clause

Edited by Guest

The car driver could sue the cyclist, if uninsured, but that seems a bit mean so it is likely that the car driver's insurance will pay and it will have to be a claim.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Know many cyclist's who have insurance Woodie . ...

GAS . ... ;)

Well that would be the best result for her if he was.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I would be looking to the cyclist to cover this, either from insurance or through the courts.

You can bet you dinner on it that had it been the driver at fault the cyclist would be looking for the same.

• Like 3

I would be looking to the cyclist to cover this, either from insurance or through the courts.

You can bet you dinner on it that had it been the driver at fault the cyclist would be looking for the same.

I doubt that the cyclist gave details. Cynic - moi?

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The cyclist would be going nowhere far from me without proof of ID and an address!

Physical restraint?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The cyclist would be going nowhere far from me without proof of ID and an address!

How would you do that ? Anti Cyclist Brigade showing their teeth as usual !! :rolleyes:

GAS . .... :angry:

• Like 1

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Ditto and I am a cyclist.

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

I doubt that the cyclist gave details. Cynic - moi?

How do you know this ?

GAS . .. :rolleyes:

The car driver could sue the cyclist, if uninsured, but that seems a bit mean.

A bit mean!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? Some Lycra clad retard drives straight into you and trashes your car and sueing them is a bit mean??

I bet the attitude would be different if it was a car driver not paying attention, then it would be all "idiotic drivers not looking where they're going, blah blah", just cos it's some pedal pest with a fibreglass head not looking at the road it's ooooooohh poor cyclist.

I would imagine the fairest outcome if he or she is uninsured is to engage reverse and make sure their £2000 ultra lightweight no need to stop at traffic lights cycle is beyond repair and then beat them over the head with the twisted remains (no cyclists would be harmed due to their helmets) which would make car drivers that drive on the roads that are for cars much happier

• Like 8

Similar happened this way a few years back - young lad, head down straight into the back of a Peugot. Large dent and scratches, repair bill was north of £500. Lads father coughed the dosh.

Lycra Clad Retard

Pedal Pest

Fibreglass Head

Beat them over the head with the twisted remains . ..

Take it your another one of the Forum members who have also went to the Billy Smarts Circus School of Driving. .. Must be one of the worst post's I have read being a Member of CT.

GAS . .....

Similar happened this way a few years back - young lad, head down straight into the back of a Peugot. Large dent and scratches, repair bill was north of £500. Lads father coughed the dosh.

. ..and quite rightly so. ..

GAS . ... ;)

• Like 1

Perhaps we should have 3rd Party Insurance for riders of cyclists and horses, it would seem a bit unfair

to claim on the innocent car drivers insurance as it could well put a premium on their next quote.

One of our Police Horses sat on the bonnet of a car whilst working a football match, there was substantial

damage, covered by Police Insurance.

Just a thought, hard to enforce though.

A bit mean!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? Some Lycra clad retard drives straight into you and trashes your car and sueing them is a bit mean??

I bet the attitude would be different if it was a car driver not paying attention, then it would be all "idiotic drivers not looking where they're going, blah blah", just cos it's some pedal pest with a fibreglass head not looking at the road it's ooooooohh poor cyclist.

I would imagine the fairest outcome if he or she is uninsured is to engage reverse and make sure their £2000 ultra lightweight no need to stop at traffic lights cycle is beyond repair and then beat them over the head with the twisted remains (no cyclists would be harmed due to their helmets) which would make car drivers that drive on the roads that are for cars much happier

You advocate physical violence if you wish, but it is not my way.

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

How would you do that ? Anti Cyclist Brigade showing their teeth as usual !! :rolleyes:

GAS . .... :angry:

Not anti cyclist at all, the minimum requirement if you are involved in an accident is to exchange basic details to enable follow up contact?

At least with a car driver you have a registration number to identify the car, which in most cases would link back to the driver, with a cyclist you are relying on their honesty in identifying themselves.

• Like 1

You advocate physical violence if you wish, but it is not my way.

Ronnie Pickering - who ??

Ronnie Pickering - who ???

RONNIE PICKERING !!!

:lol: :lol:

• Like 4

The car driver could sue the cyclist, if uninsured, but that seems a bit mean so it is likely that the car driver's insurance will pay and it will have to be a claim.

Why would it be mean when someone trashes your car. I would sue for every penny I could squeeze out of the cyclist as next time they will be paying attention to the road and it may save their life and the lives of other road users!

Saw a courier on a bike in London a year or so back. ....he cut across pedestrian walkway and traffic lights and tried to negotiate betwixt two cars near Euston Station. ...hand brake scored side of one car. ...He shouted 'Oops sorry' and went quickly down a one way street, the wrong way of course. ..he had a named pannier bag on rear so hopefully car driver managed to track him down. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

This one didn't get away.

Hope he coughed up for any damage.

http://youtu. be/tyyGlIHcpaQ

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

Strongly disagree (as they say in all the best Consumer surveys). And I do cycle sometimes!

He did the damage, he should pay for it. (In the case of death, his estate should pay.) :ph34r:

Edited by philspot
  • Like 2

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.