Sign in to follow this  
kiaboy

Alde Battery Back Up Fails

Hi,

I fitted an Alde Battery Back-up for 3020 to prevent having to keep resetting the clock each time I turned the master 12v switch off, but noticed the time would not keep up to date, thinking it was the batteries I replaced them twice, I decided to check the battery power with a meter only to find both the sets replaced were near to fully charged, so I removed the plug in the touch panel and checked the power at the plug which also was OK, reconnected the plug making sure it is a tight fit onto the pins and thought is was OK. When I went to the van a couple of weeks later to drop stuff off I flicked the main switch on and the touch screen only to find the time had not been kept also the day and night power switch had switched off. So either the control panel is faulty or something is going on with the very "intricate" battery back up lead ;)

I have emailed Alde UK, but no reply yet :( . Has anyone else experienced this?

KB

Edited by kiaboy

Interesting as we have just bought a battery back up pack.

Mine has been fine so far.

Ian

All OK with ours.

Ian

Mines fine so far. Been fitted for 5 months.

All OK with mine and it's on and off like a. ..... well I don't know what!

Russ

I have had a reply from Alde, they have tried to replicate my problem back in the R&D centre in Sweden, but are unable to. I have now suggested that they provide a replacement, so I can return the "suspect" unit, so they can do some tests, I await to hear from them. I hope, if they agree, that it comes before we fly out to Aus for 6 weeks with the family, that way it can be left to see if it is sorted before we go away at Christmas.

No problem with my battery pack, but then the 12v master switch is rarely turned off.

I presume you turn yours off because the van is in storage.

Edited by hp100425ev

No problem with my battery pack, but then the 12v master switch is rarely turned off.

I presume you turn yours off because the van is in storage.

Correct HP. But this new van automatically turns the power off at the main switch when I am connected to car and engine running.

The battery back-up will never activate whilst the 12v main switch is in the on position as the reason for the battery back-up is solely to keep the clock settings when power is turned off at the main switch or you hook up the car to van and start the engine, which activates the internal relay

Edited by kiaboy

Looking at the one we recevied the other day, I doubt very much if it is the battery back up. This can be checked by using a multimeter to see if ther eis any voltage. I would suspect the PC board in the unit itself may have a crack or dry joint.

Looking at the one we recevied the other day, I doubt very much if it is the battery back up. This can be checked by using a multimeter to see if ther eis any voltage. I would suspect the PC board in the unit itself may have a crack or dry joint.

Agreed DT I did this before I contacted Alde, as I did not want them to say the fault was with anything I had connected.

Alde have requested the unit back to check, and suggested they will collect, just waiting for them to arrange collection they have said they should be able to do a test etc and return the unit back within 2 days of collection, hopefully they will find the fault and provide a replacement unit rather than a repair.

Edited by kiaboy

Replacement control unit arrived this morning, suspect one returned at the same time. New one fitted with the back up, hopefully Adle will report back soon with their findings. Great support from Alde representative, and very helpful.

Will check next week, before we fly off to warmer climes.

Hi guys, on this subject, I'm collecting a new van with Alde heating ( never used it before) and was thinking I need the battery back up thingy.

Just wondered where it fits, does it go IN the control panel. .or do you have to put it somewhere inconspicuous. ...and take the lead to the panel. ..?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Hi guys, on this subject, I'm collecting a new van with Alde heating ( never used it before) and was thinking I need the battery back up thingy.

Just wondered where it fits, does it go IN the control panel. .or do you have to put it somewhere inconspicuous. ...and take the lead to the panel. ..?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Depends where the manufacturer has fitted the panel, the cable is not that long on the back up. It plugs in to Jumper No1 of the control panel, you have to pull the bezel off the panel (I used my fingers pulling from the top, bring the bezel towards you at the same time), remove the 4 screws and gently pull the the unit out then remove the rear cover and locate Jumper 1. I have used double sided tape to mount the battery pack to the underside of a cupboard

This might help you locate the necessary pins

Alde control panel rear wire

Edited by kiaboy

Nice one KB. ...

I think our panel is mounted on the side of a locker, so hopefully I can stick it in there somewhere. ..

Thanks a lot for the reply . .

Tim

Yep. ..just checked it's on the side of a cupboard. ..( if they haven't moved it since the brochure came out) so should be pretty easy to do. ...

Cheers

post-63409-0-18957300-1445271908_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice one KB. ...

I think our panel is mounted on the side of a locker, so hopefully I can stick it in there somewhere. ..

Thanks a lot for the reply . .

Tim

Yep. ..just checked it's on the side of a cupboard. ..( if they haven't moved it since the brochure came out) so should be pretty easy to do. ...

Cheers

You might not have to remove the bezel and screws it may be you just have to remove the rear plastic cover squeezing the sides and pull off. But then the manufacturer might have "boxed" it in to protect the cables.

I'll give a go. ...when I get it. ....

Hi  just  going to fit battery backup. but how long will the batteries last I will fit it in wine coubard  so not having to remove the the heater control 

On 05/10/2015 at 17:02, IanV8 said:

Mine has been fine so far.

Ian

How long did batteries last can't find information 

My batteries have been in for over 3 years and are fine.

Ian

Hello. The Alde AA battery backup draws 1. 2 microampere, so theoretically your AA batteries should last over 100 years. In reality, the batteries will physically fail before then, dependent on their design and quality.

• Thanks 1

Wow. .now found out they have batteries. .......wondered about that.

geoff

Initially I used rechargeable batteries, but found that the panel did not keep correct time. Since changing to standard batteries I have had no problems.

Tom

you may find that rechargables are only 1. 2v and non rechargables are 1. 5v. this may be the difference you are experiancing

20 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

you may find that rechargables are only 1. 2v and non rechargables are 1. 5v. this may be the difference you are experiancing

Correct that was the conclusion I came to. Had a couple of standard 1. 5v batteries in for the last couple of years and no problem.

Tom