Cost Versus Risk On Channel Crossing

This year we took the caravan to France using the tunnel. We paid virtually the whole fee by Tesco Clubcard points. Add two overnight stays (one each way) and the total for the crossing (diesel aside) was around £50.

For next year we're concerned about the ongoing problems at the tunnel with migrant break-ins and/or any problem at Dover/Calais that results in the M20 becoming a car park for days.

The alternative is an overnight ferry (e. g. Portsmouth to Caen), but taking a car/caravan and with a cabin, these are around £700+.

The difference is vast.

I guess it comes down to a cost versus risk consideration. High cost, but low risk (ferry), versus low cost but (at the moment) seemingly high-risk (tunnel).

Is it just us who are currently facing this dilemma? I'd be interested in what others are doing / thinking about this.

Cheers

• Like 1

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

We had been thinking about he same issues and my OH is paranoid about the migrant situation.

The ferry option is not on the cards because I have a phobia about water.

So much so that at the moment she is seriosly considering Ireland instead of France.

I inow that will involve a ferry, but for an hour and a half I could just about cope with it!

Edited by hp100425ev

We do exactly the same, paying by Tesco vouchers to get a free crossing apart from the dogs which I think was £32 extra. I'm not prepared to leave the dogs on the car deck of a ferry for hours on end so don't have the option of the ferry. I'm not really concerned security wise about the tunnel, more the risk of delays at either end. A good tip I got from the border control people was to travel with the window blinds up (always do anyway)as a caravan with the blinds down is more of an invitation to someone trying to enter the country illegally by breaking in through a skylight and hiding under the beds. We also intend not to stop anywhere near Coquelles on the way back but to do the last 100km or so non stop to get into the terminal. We used to stop quite close to get a coffee and drain the dogs, they'll have to cross their legs until we are safely inside the terminal!

We had been thinking about he same issues and my OH is paranoid about the migrant situation.

The ferry option is not on the cards because I have a phobia about water.

So much so that at the moment she is seriosly considering Ireland instead of France.

I inow that will involve a ferry, but for an hour and a half I could just about cope with it!

You could go dover -dunkirk or dover - ostend

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We have just done Dover - Calais and back on the Ferry

Outbound we never saw a Migrant

Coming back we saw 2 or 3 and the site where they camp

No problems whatsoever

Plan to come back on a Sunday. ..........France goes silent on Sundays. .........very few lorries so none to try and enter. ........not infallable but worked for me

• Like 1

Using Tesco vouchers isn't really a free xing you could spend them in store and save money.

knarf

So what risk are you worried about in the tunnel? There have been far more delays this summer on the Dover/Calais ferry than the tunnel. If it's illegal migrants breaking into the tunnel, then there's just as much chance of them breaking into the port of Calais. Yes, Op stack could be in place but the French are just as good at blockading any other port as Calais. The only difference between the two in the normal risk of disruption is the weather and there, the tunnel wins hands down. Emoji_1F30A.pngEmoji_1F30A.pngEmoji_1F30A.pngEmoji_1F30A.png

• Like 2

Portsmouth-Caen every time!

• Like 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Portsmouth to Caen/st malo every time. We find it gives us 14 days on holiday, rather than 10 (2 nights stops on way down and same on way back).

Ferry journey is part of the holiday, you wake up fresh and just a pleasant jaunt south in the morning.

I costed it out over things like fuel/stops/additional mileage on my car (due to pcp etc) and it worked out about 100 quid more. For my main summer holiday of the year, it's not worth the hassle. You can join the club voyage scheme on Brittany ferries and it brings the cost down massively (eg in August - I paid circa £630 for the 4 of us, 7. 5m van, bikes on roof, with cabins on way out/back). Pre discount it was up near £950!

• Like 1

We use the Eurotunnel as Hagrid our Newfie copes on the train but would not manage the ferry.

In July this year we travelled from the top end of Northumberland and until we met up

with Operation Stack it was a perfect drive. AA check prior to travelling did not mention

Stack being in operation.

North of Paris was really chocker so we did the N roads and landed in Uzerche a couple of hours

longer in time than normal.

Return journey not a problem

Once the dog has gone to the Rainbow Bridge we will bite the bullet and do the overnight Newcastle

boat. Have to save up some pennies though.

Using Tesco vouchers isn't really a free xing you could spend them in store and save money.

knarf

We use Tesco vouchers and consider it a cheap crossing as they are worth three times there face value so much better than just using them in store. We use a Tesco Credit Card to get the vast majority of points and only shop in the store for what we cannot purchase elsewhere.

We came back this year from holiday. Didn't stop for the last 30 miles until we got into the terminal for the tunnel. We were not particularly worried about illegal immigrants getting in the car or van as we never stopped. Will be using it next year as it is the only way for the dogs to cross in comfort.

• Like 2

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

We did both tunnel and ferry this holiday never had issues with either, just make sure you allow enough time.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

I've booked next years Eurotunnel outwards and Calais to Dover with P&O inbound.

If we get delayed, we get delayed. Kettle on, butties out and sell em to stranded vehicles!

Russ

• Like 1

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

The alternative is an overnight ferry (e. g. Portsmouth to Caen), but taking a car/caravan and with a cabin, these are around £700+.

That's a lot of money. But daytime crossings from Porsmouth to Caen,are much more reasonable if you can go outside peak season.

The Caravan Club is quoting me about £300 return for June / July with 7 camping cheques included in that price. But that's without a cabin - for daytime crossings we snooze in one of the free lounges. And if I can sell the cheques for £10 each that brings my fare down to about £230.

Edited by moorgate

knarf

Get more bang for your buck using them for days out and eating out than spending them in store B)

• Like 1

That's a lot of money. But daytime crossings from Porsmouth to Caen,are much more reasonable if you can go outside peak season.

The Caravan Club is quoting me about £300 return for June / July with 7 camping cheques included in that price. But that's without a cabin - for daytime crossings we snooze in one of the free lounges. And if I can sell the cheques for £10 each that brings my fare down to about £230.

PS. Now you see them, now you don't. Having just checked, that price I quoted has jumped by about £80. Before your very eyes !

Get more bang for your buck using them for days out and eating out than spending them in store B)

I agree,but that doesn't make the crossing free,

The OP didn't include the monetary value of the vouchers when comparing the cost of their crossing.

knarf

But for the Calais problems, I would have crossed the channel several times in the past year for day trips, and probably once for a holiday. As it is, the local shops in northern France have not had my custom, and our main holiday was taken in Cornwall, where we were blessed with good weather for three weeks, only needing the roof on the MG two days.

I would be perfectly happy to use a longer channel crossing but for the high price (£610 for our outfit this week), and the additional ferry cost when compared with the Dover Calais crossing (£298 for our outfit this week) equates to quite a lot of extra nights on a campsite, therefore for me it would be a "last resort" option. Eurotunnel to France is £614 return for our outfit this week. Ireland is another option, but again the ferry costs are still significantly higher (£517 for our outfit this week)

Have you tried a holiday in the UK, I hear many people do.

• Like 2

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Knarf, I use the Tesco Credit card to run my business so I amass a huge amount of points each month. I wont shop in Tesco's so dont use them in store, therefore for me it IS a virtually free crossing.

• Like 2

Unless they want to experience sunshine, different food, a different language, a different way of life, different driving, etc,etc,etc, B)

• Like 5

Newhaven to dieppe is fairly quiet. When we used it the gendarmes came in to our van and checked for stow aways . A nice little port as well.

Years ago we came back Dieppe - Newhaven in very poor weather and had to hold off Newhaven as the entrance was too dodgy.

Longest 5 hours of my life, never never again.

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

That's soooo Old Labour ;-)

• Like 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We've done four crossings in each direction this year, so eight crossings in all. On only one of them have we had a problem with 'migrants' and that was from Le Havre when we were returning to Portsmouth when all cars were subject to an internal search, and an external check-over! We were delayed a long time in the queue. This was because they were 'checking for migrants' as people had been discovered in Portsmouth. Obviously the more Calais is policed, the problem will move elsewhere.

On none of our crossings via Calais and Dover were there any problems at all - and even at the height of the problems in late July we used the M20 and sailed into the port early, after a long drive from Yorkshire, to be offered an earlier ferry. We saw no problems with migrants either in Calais or around the tunnel or Cite Europe.

We shall continue to use Dover.

The other crossings are likely to rise in price due to almost 'panic buying' by those who are reluctant to use Dover - a captive audience, most of whom will pay the higher prices the ferries are starting to charge. (Check Hull/Zeebrugge for instance for eye-watering rises). Meantime, we are hoping for some bargain crossings from Dover come the mid-October offers, to tempt those who aren't worried by the 'migrant' situation there.

Edited by ValA
  • Like 1