Sign in to follow this  
rayleighlad20

4X4 Or Estate/ Hatchback ?

Hi all,

Just thinking about starting up in the caravan world.

Currently have a 2 Ltr petrol Mondeo on a 10 plate with approx 46,000 on the clock. Do quite a lot of mileage for work, approx 400 miles a month.

Am considering changing the car anyhow so want to get one that can be a good tow car. Will probably go diesel automatic but not sure whether to go 4x4 or just a strong hatchback or estate.

I can see positives In a 4x4 as it would give me more choice in van and would also be good in winter months but can also see fuel economy is often a lot less and things like tyres and exhausts and even brake pads etc are a lot more on 4x4s as I am doing a fair daily mileage.

In helping me with advice it is fair to say I will probably look for a mid size 2 or 4 berth van to start off with but also like the look of a twin axle with fixed twin beds long term if I get on with caravaning.

I am also confused on how old to go car wise as I used to have a 55 plate focus that was costing a fortune in repairs. I need it reliable for work as my job involves going from site to site on a daily basis.

Any advice is welcomed. I am not asking people to make the decision for me but know people will have more experience that I currently do. Makes and models especially welcomed as well as general advice. When driving solo I do like a bit of power under my foot !!

Thanks in advance

Steven

Edited by rayleighlad20

I use a Volvo XC70 which tows my 1800kgs caravan easily with the added benefit of being 4x4 as well. Pretty good on fuel solo and around 27mpg when towing my caravan. Mine is a MY2013 and is really comfortable and is a geartronic gearbox which is a beautiful box to tow and drive generally. It is also roomy and as I bought it when it was a year old, very good value with lots of extras.

Edited by pagan8c

Hi all,

Just thinking about starting up in the caravan world.

if I get on with caravaning.

Any advice is welcomed. I am not asking people to make the decision for me but know people will have more experience that I currently do. Makes and models especially welcomed as well as general advice. When driving solo I do like a bit of power under my foot !!

Thanks in advance

Steven

Given that this is a ' dipping your toe in the water ' sort of exercise, my advice would be to stick with the Mondeo, get a modest 'van and give that a go to see how you like it. If all goes well you can start thinking about more ambitious plans. Just my opinion and others may differ.

John. :)

• Like 6

I would not buy a 4x4 unless you really need to because of the extra running cost . in the winter months just stick to booking hard standing pitches on sites which also saves treading mud in the van .

A twin axle would require a heavier vehicle and a estate would give more load capacity with something like a 5 series tourer but a Mondeo 2 lt diesel would tow a medium size caravan fine and give better fuel consumption than your petrol and more low reving torque .

You need to find a caravan that suits then look at what vehicle you need .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

That was something I was thinking. Do I buy a car to suit the van or a van to suit the car?

I can see the logic in putting something onto my present car but could also do with changing for a diesel anyhow, which is why I am wanting something that is good solo driving if I don't take to caravaning but is also suitable for a variety of vans if I wanted dot upgrade van in a couple of years without having to change car again !!

Dilemas Dilemas !!

Thanks

Given that this is a ' dipping your toe in the water ' sort of exercise, my advice would be to stick with the Mondeo, get a modest 'van and give that a go to see how you like it. If all goes well you can start thinking about more ambitious plans. Just my opinion and others may differ.

Sensible advice right there, thats what I'd do. ...and did!

There is no single right answer, and no two people have exactly the same requirements. Leedslad has a good point and from there you can begin to sort out your own priorities. Many people are happy with the likes of your Mondeo, particularly if the day job requires lots of solo driving. Many people are happy to spend mega money on upmarket 4x4s but only ask the 4 wheel drive to do its stuff for about 1/2 a mile per year.

• Like 1

I'd go with Leedslad's solution. It may sound odd but people rarely choose a caravan layout that they're happy with first time around.

So the best way to proceed would be to get an oldish, cheapish van, lightish of a type you fancy and give it a whirl with the Mondeo. That should teach you a few things about your particular preferences and after a while you then decide how you want to go based on some experience.

• Like 2

Your choice but I can tell you the real world Fuel figures for a kia sorento kx2 auto. now five years old and 43k miles.

Solo on a run 40 mpg + /- 3 mpg.

Knocking about 30 mpg plus

Towing Valencia mk3 26 - 27 mpg (mainly motorway A roads)

Total Cost in spares to date Nil.

Tyres 2 for front (need another two soon with winter coming on we get a lot of snow so they will be replaced before fully worn but that's just me)

Rear tyres still 4 mm of tread.

So the right 4 x 4 need not cost a fortune to run.

Personally unless I had deep pockets I'd search for a really nice older van with everything working and try it for a year or so. Buy right and you can sell with very little loss and upgrade to newer later. Surprising how living with a layout can affect your choices as well.

• Like 1

I agree. A 4x4 need not break the bank. We tow with a BMW X5, bought 12 months ago with 57k on the clock, and of 2006 vintage, so someone else has taken the depreciation hit. Came with detachable tow hitch and self -levelling. Just a couple of weeks ago averaged 24. 7 over 2700 miles to France. Research and choose carefully, just as with your proposed caravan.

However, as others have said, keep existing car for the moment, and try out with an inexpensive van. This way you only have a loss on the van, and not the car as well if it doesn't suit you.

Depends a bit on your budget and aversion to risk a bit too.

We jumped in the shallow end with a £15k budget for caravan and car and went SUV on balance as we like the smaller sites and CLs so thought maybe having access to AWD was a sensible offset against tyre costs etc.

We get 50plus mpg Mway cruising and 27. 2 towing.

Not recommending anything but good advice in sucking it an minimal cost and seeing how you get on with it.

I agree. A 4x4 need not break the bank. We tow with a BMW X5, bought 12 months ago with 57k on the clock, and of 2006 vintage, so someone else has taken the depreciation hit. Came with detachable tow hitch and self -levelling. Just a couple of weeks ago averaged 24. 7 over 2700 miles to France. Research and choose carefully, just as with your proposed caravan. However, as others have said, keep existing car for the moment, and try out with an inexpensive van. This way you only have a loss on the van, and not the car as well if it doesn't suit you.

Might I ask, is that the 3. 0D version, are they all auto and have you stuck with the huge tyres? Edited by Motobiman

True. I just didn't want to spend out on a tow bar for this car and then another one if I change, especially as I could do with a diesel now anyhow for work.

Also don't want to go too old if it going to give me reliability issues.

Alan - what sort of cost are you looking at per tyre ?

Someone else has suggested an auto diesel Cheverlot Captiva - don't know what people's opinion are on them too ?

The cost if towbars will likely be the least worry.

On the car age thing for me it's more the annual lottery (sorry MOT) and sharp intake of breath every time some issue arises.

After a lifetime of new company cars it comes as a shock to the wallet . ...........

Tyres. You can buy budget from about £55 but as it's the only thing between you and sudden death I don't buy them. Prefer something like originals at about £80/£90. Still searching for best prices. Also ran AVON's on the old Sorento very successfully.

One point to consider Get a Kia with properly maintained warranty and it runs for 7 years from new or 100k miles. They do also have approved used cars up to 18 months old where they are confident enough to wind the warranty back to a full 7 years for the 2nd owner.

Only problem we have had with current car was an intermittent fuel pump fault at nearly 5 years old. Replaced without question. Kia shipped the part to the garage overnight and fitted by 10 am next day.

Hyundia is the same under the skin. Different body shape and interior and something like 5 years (but unlimited miles) warranty.

Not sure a Chevy is a good move as they are pulling out of the UK market which could effect prices.

Dave

Is major service on Kia every 2 years, same as Hyundai?

Stick with what you have got until you are certain that you like it. Then think again in say 12mths.

You know the history on your mondeo and that's half the battle

Not sure a Chevy is a good move as they are pulling out of the UK market which could effect prices.

Dave

The Captiva is mechanically identical to the Vauxhall Antara.

The Captiva is mechanically identical to the Vauxhall Antara.

Is that a good thing?! :lol:

Is that a good thing?! :lol:

IMHO, yes.

I am just so confused with all of it at the moment !!

Don't know whether to wait till the spring now ?

Need someone experienced to adopt me really and help me get set up !!

I am just so confused with all of it at the moment !!

Don't know whether to wait till the spring now ?

Need someone experienced to adopt me really and help me get set up !!

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere. You should see some of the questions I posted when we started! You feel so daft asking them, but if you don't ask we can't help you.

Just don't take offence if someone responds with a terse response, it's not personal. ....

• Like 1

Before you buy consider your licence. If it is dated before 1997 then you can pick what you want, if it is dated in 1997 or later then you have severe restrictions on what you can tow without taking an extra test. With such a licence you must seek out the plated maximum gross weight. ( the second highest figure on the weight plate ) subtract that figure from 3500 and the result is the heaviest plated weight that you can legally tow. So in effect the bigger the vehicle the smaller the van. Your Mondeo will have a max gross weight of somewhere about 2100kg ( I know the diesel figures but not the petrol ones ) and this will allow you to tow a van that has a max plated weight of about 1400kg which is as good as it gets and gives plenty of choice. Large 4x4s reduce your choices to virtually nothing if you have such a licence.

• Like 1

Passed test in 1993 so should be ok.

Thanks for advice

Might I ask, is that the 3. 0D version, are they all auto and have you stuck with the huge tyres?

Certainly. It is indeed the 3. 0D version. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'Huge'. The car is the Sport version, so came with the staggered wheels which are 19", and a proper spare though, oddly, this is supplied as a 17" alloy rim with a higher profile tyre to maintain the overall diameter. And before anyone queries this, its correct. Car could be supplied on 18, 19 or 20" rims

What's your concern about the tyres? If you would like any further info, just let me know