fatgit

Beginning Kayaking/canoeing

The boat has a VHF Marine Transceiver and installed Garmin GPS 126 Marine Sat Nav but below is part of what else is carried in the boat. We also have enough additional life jackets for all passengers and of course the "grab bag" with the emergency flares, knife, torch, first aid kit etc. I'm a pretty strong swimmer but would never venture onto the water unprepared for the worst. 

Img_9979.jpg

Driver 440 - 9.jpg

Never trusted "the iron sail" in small boats ie 45 foot and less.

In my experience they get unreliable-just when you want them!!

Had a flat 6 diesel expire in the dorus mhor in the middle of standing water fortunately the wind picked up from a flat calm.

Similarly had diesels stop just coming up to jetty-no water past rudder-no control!!

Personally I love electric bow thrusters😀

even better front and rear!

Once had a tender with the dreaded "Seagull" outboard-It always started no bother on the way to the pub-never on return in the dark!

A big problem with outboards etc is owners never clean the fuel tank/filters.

Engine runs until it gets tossed around in choppy seas sediment mixes with fuel clogs the filters-dead engine-horray for the RNLI

17 hours ago, Gordon said:

The boat has a VHF Marine Transceiver and installed Garmin GPS 126 Marine Sat Nav but below is part of what else is carried in the boat. We also have enough additional life jackets for all passengers and of course the "grab bag" with the emergency flares, knife, torch, first aid kit etc. I'm a pretty strong swimmer but would never venture onto the water unprepared for the worst. 

Hi Gordon, what’s the weird device with a hose lock connector on? Looks like some curious torturous stethoscope for cleaning one ears out! 

Posted (edited)

I am not complaining about all the post about motor/sailing boat but originally this thread was about canoeing/kayaking it best to keep to OP of the topic to avoid confusion, apart from water safety which is similar  in a way, most of the motor/sailing boat equipment being posted is irrelevant to kayaking.

Edited by oldboy

1 hour ago, sleepyfolk said:

Hi Gordon, what’s the weird device with a hose lock connector on? Looks like some curious torturous stethoscope for cleaning one ears out! 

That's "ear muffs" used to rinse salt water out of an ally outboard after use...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I still remember my Kayak, a PBK 17 which my Dad bought for me sometime in the late 40’s/ early 50’s.

I was a coxswain in Worcester rowing club at the time so was able to store it riverside in the club’s boathouse alongside another PBK 17 belonging to a fellow cox and school class mate.

The PBK 17 was 17ft long, with a wooden frame and keel covered in canvas which was painted to keep it waterproof. Both bow and stern were also canvas covered.

The cockpit had room for 3 separate seats inline, each fitted with its own “spray sheet” which were elasticated  and designed to fit around the occupants waist and seal the cockpit.

My boat also came equipped with a main sail and a jib which could give it quite a turn of speed in a good breeze.

For stability it had what was known as a “drop keel” which could be lowered for sailing.  

A rudder at the stern was controlled by the feet of the rear crewman.

For the most part there was rarely enough wind on the river to sail the boat so we used it mostly as was originally intended, as a kayak, propelled by its crew, each equipped with a double ended paddle.

I spent many happy hours on the local rivers of Worcestershire in between coxing the Rowing club racing boats (namely “Pairs, Fours and Eights”) competing in club regattas all over England and Wales.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

16 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

It allows the motor to be run when the boat is not in water by temporarily supplying clean cooling water from a hose, and is primarily used to flush out salt water after coastal use. So while not strictly speaking safety equipment but certainly essential if the motor is not to be damaged

14 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

That's "ear muffs" used to rinse salt water out of an ally outboard after use...

Got it in one!

Sorry to the OP for "drifting" from the original kayaking and canoeing in the topic heading.

33 minutes ago, Gordon said:

It allows the motor to be run when the boat is not in water by temporarily supplying clean cooling water from a hose, and is primarily used to flush out salt water after coastal use. So while not strictly speaking safety equipment but certainly essential if the motor is not to be damaged

Got it in one!

Sorry to the OP for "drifting" from the original kayaking and canoeing in the topic heading.

Certainly spent a fair bit of time "drifting" with dead outboard motors😀

Hope you regularly check the indicator is green on your self inflating life jackets.

Crikey, can’t even get away with a bit of thread drift on here, don’t suppose fatgit will be that bothered - he asked the question 3 years ago!