Sign in to follow this  
Ace Lunar

2004 Lexon Es - Roof Ripples

Hi

We bought a Lexon ES (2004) last November and have recently noticed that the roof has a few ripples in it, is this normal or delamination? Has anyone else experienced this ? Your advice would be appreciated.

Ann

Hi, don't worry about it they are all the same!! I had a roof replaced on a quasar 615 as it had deep scratches on it down to the metal and that had a very ripply roof, strange thing was that when Leisure sales in Sandbach fitted a new roof it had zero ripples and looked like a sheet of glass!

Decided to change the van as could not live with the small bathroom and now have a Quasar EB with another ripply roof, unless someone tells me otherwise I am not gonna worry!

regards

Paul B

Most caravans are now made with a 'fully bonded roof,' prior to that the people who make caravans only stuck down the roof around roof fitments and rails and left the rest 'flapping in the breeze' so to speak. This is quite alarming when you come to clean the roof and I can imagine that the constant bending of the alluminium could cause creases in the metal or even cracks.

Most caravans are now made with a 'fully bonded roof,' prior to that the people who make caravans only stuck down the roof around roof fitments and rails and left the rest 'flapping in the breeze' so to speak. This is quite alarming when you come to clean the roof and I can imagine that the constant bending of the alluminium could cause creases in the metal or even cracks.

Hi ricpop. I'm puzzled(no change there then!) Fully bonded to what? what is bonded to what? As I understand the term it means-or should mean- the roof covering is bonded to the roof sticks, either with tape or adhesive so there should'nt be any loose material to 'flap'. A Truck roof, for example, is fastened front/back and sides(even curved ones) so I don't see how a manufacturer can claim a roof is fully bonded when in this instance it is not. Or is it just me? :rolleyes:

Water tends to "pool" on the top of our Lunar, then pours off like a waterfall when we come to move the van.

Hi ricpop. I'm puzzled(no change there then!) Fully bonded to what? what is bonded to what? As I understand the term it means-or should mean- the roof covering is bonded to the roof sticks, either with tape or adhesive so there should'nt be any loose material to 'flap'. A Truck roof, for example, is fastened front/back and sides(even curved ones) so I don't see how a manufacturer can claim a roof is fully bonded when in this instance it is not. Or is it just me? :rolleyes:

As I understand it, the whole of the roof sheeting is 'bonded" to the underlying wood work instead of just round the edges. So in other words the roof panel are the same as the side panels. A simple concept eh!

the only manufacturer who has a bonded roof, which is the same as the side panels, is bailey! all others simply lay the aluminium roof sheet on, pull it tight and then fix front, rear and both sides.

so with this in mind any other roof apart from bailey will be, by design, uneven and can hold water. in extreme cases it can be fixed though.

Edited by SAGS

Guest iank

Had a look at our roof while cleaning it and it is definitely no bonded to the body. Plenty of pools of water on it .

When we spoke to Lunar about this they said that it is normal for this to happen and that it expands with the heat and then shrinks a little when it gets cooler. I was a little sceptical but have noticed recently that the roof is indeed smoother now we have colder weather.

Ann

Bonded roof is all very well and may look very nice and smooth but talking to dealers and owners of Baileys with this type of roof it appears to be causing some problems. The roof is very stiff the side walls are not this is causing problems with the roof and side walls parting company. Also interior walls fixed to the roof are also giving up the struggle and parting company!! Stick to the rippled roof at least it has some movement.

When we spoke to Lunar about this they said that it is normal for this to happen and that it expands with the heat and then shrinks a little when it gets cooler. I was a little sceptical but have noticed recently that the roof is indeed smoother now we have colder weather.

Ann

Guest iank

Also interior walls fixed to the roof are also giving up the struggle and parting company!! This what has happened to our 640 and it needs to go back to the factory at the end of January 2007 for a major repair. I am going to request that they also repair the delamination, replace the bathroom sink which has crack because the interior wall has moved away from the exterior wall. I suppose while I am about it they can replace the Truma 3000 heater which has never worked properly since day one! Otherwise a nice caravan.

Edited by iank

Guest Roving Rangies

Rippling roof? Do what we did! Buy a Carlight! No bonded roofs there, just a one piece fibreglass contured roof.

Posted (edited)

I have a 2012 Lunar Quasar 462 and the roof is badly rippled. My biggest concern is the pooling around the roof lights. I regularly check with a damp meter and it is ok. I understand that it is normal not to bond the outer roof skin as this allow for expansion. It looks like shoddy workmanship to me, something I will definitely be aware of on future purchases.

Interesting that the company went into new ownership between the initial posts on this thread and my addition, but the problem remains the same!

Edited by aka dino

Posted (edited)

Does it matter if rippled or not as you cannot see it.

Standard to have rippled roofs on all lunars to allow for expansion and contraction of the aluminium sheeting.

The bonding around the bedroom and toilet roof lights needs monitoring as  movement puts stress on the mastic. OK when the mastic is soft but if it dries out it will leak. 

I renewed the mastic in these areas every 5 to 7 years.

It is also good practice to leave the caravan in a slightly nose down setting to allow for rather water to run off and lessen the chance of pooling.

Edited by springtime

4 hours ago, springtime said:

Does it matter if rippled or not as you cannot see it.

Standard to have rippled roofs on all lunars to allow for expansion and contraction of the aluminium sheeting.

I had a Coachman the roof look as though a herd of goats had passed over it when it was new. I thought about getting it fixed but as it didn't leak and my main reason for buying it was to use it, I decided i wouldn't bother.

When I traded it it made no differance to the price I got.

On our Lunar water pools around the bedroom skylight. All I do is have the van slightly nose down. 

Don't have a problem no more

Lunar fit "Floating Roofs" to allow for expansion and contraction and during hot weather its particularily noticeable how the roof ripples and moves when you wash it. This can result in pools forming on the roof our drive slopes back to the offside so water always runs off.